Time

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
rayhol

Time

Post by rayhol » Wed Oct 15, 2008 4:33 am

Hi

This is my first time here and i have a question. Can someone tell me why the time indicated on the remote server is out by anywhere from 2 hours to half a day when i up load a file. The time and settings are correct on the computer doing the uploading. Hope someone can assist me. Thanks

danielc

Re: Time

Post by danielc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:50 am

Hi,

I'm not really sure what you're referring to? Are you talking about the timestamp on the file you upload?

Regards,
Daniel C

rayhol

Post by rayhol » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:11 am

Yes, when i use the ftp program to see the files on the server the time that is indicated that they were actually saved on the server is different to the time they actually were uploaded from my computer. If it was different by a few minutes i would not worry but this is different by a few hours or more. The reason for this is i am updating weather info every minute and some of the information is not working and i can't work out why as i have looked at the this end and every thing seems alright. I am just trying to eliminate possiable causes. I think some of the info that is up loaded is time related and it might be getting confused between the server time and my computer, maybe.

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Oct 16, 2008 9:59 am

Hi,

Is your ftp client set to preserve file timestamps, by any chance? Because this is really the only thing that I can think of right now that would be causing this.

Regards,
Daniel C

rayhol

Post by rayhol » Thu Oct 16, 2008 3:38 pm

Ok I will keep checking. It is more then likly something here that i am not seeing. Thanks for your help.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Oct 16, 2008 4:20 pm

Rayhol, to expand on the post above, you are mistaken in regarding the times given in your client's display as representing time of transfer. They are Unix file timestamps which could record such things as access, modification or inode change. It is common to FTP transfer files so as to preserve the existing time data. If you want a set of fresh stamps created on the server, you should find and set the relevant setting in your FTP client.

rayhol

Post by rayhol » Thu Oct 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Thanks for that I will check it out.