Plan says 1Gb of space, web space setup says 200Mb ??

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
bigmudcake

Plan says 1Gb of space, web space setup says 200Mb ??

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:28 pm

Hi all,

Not sure if this has been answered before, I signed up for the B10 ADSL account which says "Inclusions In These Plans: * Web site hosting (up to 1 gb)", but when I went to the member facilities "Web Space Configuration", it indicated that I have 200Mb of space setup, also indicated by the web setup confirmation email.

I am not sure which capacity is correct, or whether I may have went to the wrong spot in member facilities to setup web hosting.

Thanks in advance.
bigmudcake

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Plan says 1Gb of space, web space setup says 200Mb ??

Post by Gidget » Mon Oct 20, 2008 2:44 pm

200 MB is the free web space service available to all customers. If you as a business customer want to order a web hosting service from Exetel these range from 50 MB to 1 GB and you order the service (and any related services) from the Web/Email Hosting menu option in your User Facilities.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:19 pm

Gidget wrote:200 MB is the free web space service available to all customers. If you as a business customer want to order a web hosting service from Exetel these range from 50 MB to 1 GB and you order the service (and any related services) from the Web/Email Hosting menu option in your User Facilities.

Gidget
Hi Gidget,

The B plans come with hosting included.

To activate this extra, please just order hte hosting service, you won't be charged.

James

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:23 pm

Hi James

Thanks for the extra info :D It now makes perfect sense!

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:43 pm

James wrote:
Gidget wrote:200 MB is the free web space service available to all customers. If you as a business customer want to order a web hosting service from Exetel these range from 50 MB to 1 GB and you order the service (and any related services) from the Web/Email Hosting menu option in your User Facilities.

Gidget
Hi Gidget,

To activate this extra, please just order hte hosting service, you won't be charged.

James
Thanks for the speedy replies, Excuse my ignorance, but I cannot find "hte hosting service". Is what you are referring to under "Web/Email Hosting" -> "Order Web Site Hosting", if this is so, I am a little worried that I have to check the box where it says "I agree to this fee being debited to my credit card/bank account" even though you say I wont be charged.

Also does it come with PHP/MySQL just like the 200Mb of space you provide to all customers ??

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 20, 2008 3:50 pm

Just a suggestion,

I am not sure how easy this would be to implement, but when a person signs up to a plan maybe a welcome email could be sent that provides direct url's to the relevant "added" services provided by the plan that was purchased, saves the new user wading though member services options that are not relevant or similar to the services purchased as part of the plan (e.g. webhosting). Especially since a new user would not be familiar to how the "Member Facilities" is geared for use.

Hope this makes sense :)

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:28 am

bigmudcake wrote:
James wrote:

Gidget
Hi Gidget,

James
Q1. Thanks for the speedy replies, Excuse my ignorance, but I cannot find "hte hosting service". Is what you are referring to under "Web/Email Hosting" -> "Order Web Site Hosting", if this is so, I am a little worried that I have to check the box where it says "I agree to this fee being debited to my credit card/bank account" even though you say I wont be charged.

Q2. Also does it come with PHP/MySQL just like the 200Mb of space you provide to all customers ??
Can anyone shed any light on the two questions above ???

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Oct 27, 2008 11:34 am

Yes, use hte web/email hosting button.

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:45 pm

James wrote:Yes, use hte web/email hosting button.
Thanks for your very comprehensive and informative answer on my 2 questions.

I will click on Web/Email Hosting button, then Order Web Site Hosting submenu to order my included free web hosting:

- hoping that I wont be charged (even though I have to authorize a credit card charge and only prices are listed).
- hoping that its the hte web/email hosting button you refer to even though that's not what its called.
- hoping that it does include PHP/MySQL even though it doesn't indicate anywhere.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Oct 27, 2008 12:55 pm

hte was obviously a typo for the.

James has said you won't be charged - even if you were inadvertently charged a quick email to billing would sort it out. Life is too short to get stressed over such things :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Gidget wrote:hte was obviously a typo for the.

James has said you won't be charged - even if you were inadvertently charged a quick email to billing would sort it out. Life is too short to get stressed over such things :D

Gidget
Thanks for that. Only reason I was getting stressed was that this is a business account, and my boss would not be too impressed to see up to $300 of annual hosting off his credit card for a transaction that I HAD TO AUTHORIZE in order to get the free included hosting. A quick email would not sort out the fact it would come out of my pay. Especially when I didn't seem to be getting straight answers.

Thanks also for clearing up the typo. I though "hte" was an acronym for something, since the IT would is full of acronyms, and he used "hte" it in several posts. (My favorite acronym has to be TWAIN (Technology Without An Interesting Name) interface to connect scanners to OS/Applications, but that's another story :)

Are you able to confirm that MySQL/PHP is available on these hosting accounts as well ???

Thanks again, I do appreciate your time and help in sorting it out for me, and will try to keep my stress in order :)

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Mon Oct 27, 2008 3:58 pm

Are you able to confirm that MySQL/PHP is available on these hosting accounts as well ???
I'll see if I can find out for you :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
Exetel Support Portal

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:01 pm

bigmudcake wrote:Are you able to confirm that MySQL/PHP is available on these hosting accounts as well ???
Consider it confirmed. :)

Andrew

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 4:15 pm

Thanks again, for the quick help, I can throw out these stress pills :)

bigmudcake

Post by bigmudcake » Mon Oct 27, 2008 5:01 pm

Ok, I have now signed up to the webspace.

I have another issue, It looks as though the webspace requires you to have the DNS
assigned through Exetel in order for it to be viewed based on the setup email I was given.
If http://www.mydomainname.com.au does not work in your FTP client, please use
vh1.web.exetel.com.au until such time that the DNS entry for
http://www.mydomainname.com.au has updated.
Now, it indicates I can use FTP to upload the files, but how can I view the website without
transferring my whole DNS system to Exetel ??? Is there an alternate URL I can use to
access the webserver.