bigmudcake wrote:Ok, I have now signed up to the webspace.
I have another issue, It looks as though the webspace requires you to have the DNS
assigned through Exetel in order for it to be viewed based on the setup email I was given.
No it doesn't.
Ok not strictly true, but you must have the webname you chose on application as a valid FQDN and
then have your DNS server adjusted to suit before you can access the new webspace via http.
Because this is not fully conveyed in the signup process I made the mistake of using our www address
as per the suggestion in the application only to find that since I already have an existing website
pointing to www I cannot access our new webspace via http on Exetel because of this.
So what I have found out which may be important for future customers signing up is:
1. Exetel virtual web hosts are name based not IP based.
2. The web name you supply on application must be a valid name to be assigned in a DNS server.
3. You cannot change the web name after application in Member Facilities. (Maybe you can by phoning/emailing Exetel Support)
4. The appropriate DNS entries must be setup before you can access your web hosting space via http (web browser).
5. If you have an existing website then select a name that is different than the one that you use to access that existing site.
There were no instructions of how you would setup the DNS entries needed in the initial web hosting setup confirmation email. But the helpful staff at Exetel did send one today on what entries are needed in the DNS server. Basically its a CNAME to vh1.web.exetel.com.au not to an IP number as suggested in an earlier message in this thread.
e.g. if you signed up to web hosting with the name newsite.mydomain.com.au then you will need to put the following entry into your existing DNS server for the domain mydomain.com.au
newsite IN CNAME vh1.web.exetel.com.au.
Then you can access your new web space via http using the URL http://newsite.mydomain.com.au
I would like to praise the staff at Exetel as they are prompt and helpful with the email support they have been providing me today. Its refreshing to deal with people at an ISP that actually know what you are talking about and how their systems work