Forbidden paths and FTP 550 errors

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Cufflink

Forbidden paths and FTP 550 errors

Post by Cufflink » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:14 pm

To one and all,

I have tried to read through the threads and the FAQ's and the directions and I can't be completely daft as I have had this working before, but I cannot seem to get a new personal site up. (I didn't "migrate" my old one, but am effectively reloading the same one).

The story so far:

http://home.exetel.com.au/lazycommunicator

gives me this error:

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /lazycommunicator/ on this server.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80

When I use my ftp utility "ftp commander" to connect via user_id fw_lazycommunicator to ftp://fw_lazycommunicator@home.exetel.com.au it appears to connect fine:

Connecting to home.exetel.com.au , 06 Jan 2009 15:08:12
< 220 220.233.0.59 FTP server ready
> USER fw_lazycommunicator
< 331 Password required for fw_lazycommunicator
> PASS (hidden)
< 230 User fw_lazycommunicator logged in
> SYST
< 215 UNIX Type: L8
> PWD
< 257 "/" is the current directory
> TYPE A
< 200 Type set to A
> PORT 10,147,4,13,5,114
< 200 PORT command successful
> LIST
< 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
< 226 Transfer complete
! 139 bytes received/sent in 0 seconds (891 Bytes/sec)

However, when I try to copy my "index.html" file to the above ftp directory, I get the following:

> TYPE I
< 200 Type set to I
> PORT 10,147,4,13,5,118
> STOR index.html
< 550 Access is denied.
Error 550 Access is denied.
> CWD /
< 250 CWD command successful
> TYPE A
< 200 Type set to A
> PORT 10,147,4,13,5,119
> LIST
< 150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
< 226 Transfer complete
! 139 bytes received/sent in 0 seconds (684 Bytes/sec)

or create a directory, I get the following:

> MKD images
< 550 Access is denied.
Error 550 Access is denied.

Only other information I can offer is I am doing this from work, so not sure if I'm being firewalled / proxied etc

Any help, including spelling out where I have been a complete goose greatly appreciated.

danielc

Re: Forbidden paths and FTP 550 errors

Post by danielc » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:43 pm

Hi ... It might be worth setting your FTP client to use PASSIVE mode. If that doesn't work, maybe try another FTP client?

Regards,
Daniel C

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jan 06, 2009 3:55 pm

Passive mode is in Server Properties (that client is an adaption of a common Linux one).

If you can successfully upload your files, but still get denied access from your browser, then, in the ftp client, "chmod" the files' permissions to 705 (= rwx,---,r-x)

Cufflink

Post by Cufflink » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:53 am

danielc
Thanks for the client config suggestion, tried PASSIVE mode in "ftp commander" no joy, so have now gone for option 2 and am trying "FileZilla". Getting better results, but still no joy - tried passive and active mode and am still getting 550 Access is denied error's and "Critical error's" as per the below:

Status: Starting upload of {my directory path on my PC}/index.html
Command: CWD /
Response: 250 CWD command successful
Command: TYPE A
Response: 200 Type set to A
Command: PASV
Response: 227 Entering Passive Mode (220,233,0,59,183,159)
Command: STOR index.html
Response: 550 Access is denied.
Error: Critical error

So . . .

Dazzled,
Thanks for your feedback, but given the above, I'm still having difficulties getting the files uploaded. I did see in another thread about the cmodding of the files (which I understand from a previous life playing with Unix) but cannot seem to translate the function to Windows XP (current environment). The closest I can get is cacls but then how to switch it for "user, group, others, all" doesn't seem to translate it simply refers to "user" maybe my Windows / Active Directory / networking naivety is coming into play here. The previous thread and you post both suggest "chmodding" in the FTP client, but I cannot seem to find this functionality in FileZilla (or FTP Commander) is there a free ftp client you can recommend with this functionality? or does anyone know how to use windows to set the equivalent of chmod 705 security to the files and directories I'm trying to upload?

Once again, thanks all for help to date.

Regards

Cufflink

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:11 am

You probably need to chmod the files after they are uploaded to the ftp site, either using the 'site chmod' command at the command line or whatever whatever gui you are using uses.

It has been a long time since I used exetel user hosted content, so I don't recall the required directrory structure, however have you read http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 36#p217436 ? It seems to details the modes and setup well.

from the ftp command line, after you login, I would be interested in seeing the output of

pwd
ls -la
dir
site help

as it may provide clues to progress with.

Cufflink

Post by Cufflink » Wed Jan 07, 2009 10:49 am

Samarium,
Thanks for your quick response, in getting your answers re site help, I can now see how I should be able to chmod 705 my files and directories once loaded.

I did read the thread referenced and as I do not have a database or anything terrible clever or complicated (Javascript and a java applet as advanced as I get) in / with my site, don't believe any of the new hosting stuff will effect me. Given I can't even copy the index.html file or a tiny test text file up I think I have more basic issues that I need to fix first and am begining to wonder if I need to give this a go from home (outside the work firewall / proxy etc setup).

I did run your suggested ftp command line commands with the following output:

Status: Connection established, waiting for welcome message...
Response: 220 220.233.0.59 FTP server ready
Command: USER fw_lazycommunicator
Response: 331 Password required for fw_lazycommunicator
Command: PASS **********
Response: 230 User fw_lazycommunicator logged in
Command: pwd
Response: 257 "/" is the current directory
Command: ls -la
Command: dir
Command: site help
Response: 214-The following SITE commands are recognized (* =>'s unimplemented)
Response: 214-HELP
Response: 214-CHGRP
Response: 214-CHMOD
Response: 214 Direct comments to root@bladdernut.exetel.com.au

Not sure why I'm getting all of the 550 Access is denied messages, I'm fairly confident I have my password correct as I believe I am connecting?

Once again, thank you (and everybody) for your quick responses and help to date.

Regards

Cufflink

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:41 am

Hi Cufflink

Are you running a software firewall on your XP machine (additional to/instead of the XP firewall)?

For example, I had a lot of problems with Comodo firewall 12 months or so ago because it did not properly allow FTP access to my sites. I solved it after scouring the Comodo Forum for a solution and haven't had a problem since.

In your case, if you do have a software firewall I suggest you temporarily disable it and see if the issue goes away.

Cheers

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 07, 2009 11:55 am

Ditto VPN and the like, if you are using them.

Using samarium's commands, you appear to have successfully logged in, but are being denied a directory listing by the server (no reply to both ls and dir)
Error 550 = Requested action not taken. File unavailable (e.g., file not found, no access).

Cufflink

Post by Cufflink » Wed Jan 07, 2009 12:06 pm

Gidget / Dazzled,

Thank you both, yes, firewalls / routers etc, I think I'll have to give up trying to do this from work and have a go from home, I'll keep you posted.

Thank you everybody for your help.

Regards

Cufflink

samarium

Post by samarium » Wed Jan 07, 2009 9:20 pm

I just created a web/ftp space.

After the create, ftp dir returns thusly:

Code: Select all

ftp> open home.exetel.com.au
Connected to home.exetel.com.au.
220 220.233.0.59 FTP server ready
Name (home.exetel.com.au:x): fw_x
331 Password required for fw_x
Password:
230 User fw_x logged in
Remote system type is UNIX.
Using binary mode to transfer files.
ftp> dir
200 PORT command successful
150 Opening ASCII mode data connection for file list
drwx-----x   2 fw_x users        4096 Jan  7 21:05 .
drwx-----x   2 fw_x users        4096 Jan  7 21:05 ..
226 Transfer complete
ftp> pwd
257 "/" is the current directory
ftp>
maybe you broke the protection on your home directory accidentally, or the setup failed?

Try this:

Code: Select all

ftp home.exetel.com.au
user
password
site chmod 701 .
dir
If you still can't get a directory listing then something is broken and I reckon SysAdmin/Andrew should look at it.

If you do get a directory listing then you probably have other directories/files to fix using the guidance from http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=221&t=28399 and depending on the intended access to the dirs/files.

Cufflink

Post by Cufflink » Thu Jan 08, 2009 9:19 am

Samarium,

Thanks very much for the extra guideance, however, I had no problems loading from home this morning using the same files and security settings and the same FTP application (FileZilla), so I can only assume I was trapped behind the work firewalls routers and other jiggery pokery.

To EVERYONE that helped, THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all of your help, I'm now up and running :o) and am painfully aware that the site needs much work and has broken bits etc, but I got the basics up, I can now re write / rebuild, update and refresh . . . and can upload the new content now!

Regards

Cufflink