403 Forbidden

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Monti

403 Forbidden

Post by Monti » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:06 pm

Hi,

When I put in my supplied web address of http://home.exetel.com.au/montanyi/ I get "403 Forbidden" and that 'You don't have permission to access /montanyi/ on this server".

I also unable to delete folders from the server once I uploaded them. I just get a "550 Delete of Portrait (folder) failed".
Even when I right clicked on the folder and got to chmod and set it Owner read, write and execute, it won't let me. If I log out of Cute FTP and log back in I have to reset chmod as it had reverted back to non-execute for owner.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: 403 Forbidden

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 15, 2009 4:31 pm

You should have delete permission on your own files. Try to chmod them to 705 (rwx,---,r-x) and see what happens - that should fix the browser.

beewing

Post by beewing » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:13 pm

Hi Guys

I wonder if I can get help here also on a similar issue
I've read as much as could find in previous questions but can't seem to get past :

Forbidden
You don't have permission to access /petpawtraits/ on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80

when I type in the webpage I created http://home.exetel.com.au/petpawtraits

I seem to be able to see my file, including my index.html file on the exetel server using WS_FTP
I chmod them using WS_FTP as I've here, but still get error message.

Any advice would be great thankyou

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 18, 2009 4:40 pm

First, check the spelling of your file. The server does not run Windows, and is case sensitive - "index.html", all in lower case.
Try that in the browser.

If it fails again, log in to the ftp site again with your ftp client and check the file permissions - again, this is not Windows. Use the "chmod" or "file permission" function of your ftp client to set all of your files' permissions to octal 705, which equates to (read/write/execute; -,-,-; read, -, execute). All else being right, the browser should get a result after that.

PS The spelling under Windows is not important - check the spelling of the actual uploaded file using the ftp application. There will a change name function if needed.

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Sun Jan 18, 2009 7:36 pm

beewing check your index.html is at the root and not in a folder off the root?
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

beewing

Post by beewing » Sun Jan 18, 2009 9:00 pm

thanks guys
the index.html file was in a folder, I put it at the root and now it works
thanks for being so quick

plastiche

Post by plastiche » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:24 pm

Hi from a frustrated '403 Forbiden' victim ....I get this message ... ' Forbidden - You don't have permission to access /plastiche/ on this server.
Apache/2.2.3 (Debian) mod_ssl/2.2.3 OpenSSL/0.9.8c Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80 ' ......when I use my web space link from my Members Tools page ' http://home.exetel.com.au/plastiche ' . However , when I type in ' ftp://home.exetel.com.au ' in my browser I get the password promt box which then gets me through to my root directory . Then using 'open FTP site in windows browser' I get denied .... ' FTP proxy warning' which tell me that it's read only & server is 'not set up to allow full access ' . I have been getting through with persistant trying [ refreshing the Root seemed to help ] over the past week , but today it's just a complete refusal . I changed my password ...with no effect .

All help will have to be couched in simple terms suitable for a Luddite as I'm a 'turn-key' sort of a person who usually does not look under the bonnet . Thanks , Plastiche .

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Sun Jan 25, 2009 9:49 pm

Plastiche, the first thing to do is to get a proper ftp client application - it can be perilous doing this stuff from a browser, because you don't get the full ftp capabilities. There are several free ones to suit each operating system.

Secondly, using the ftp client, transfer your files to: home.exetel.com.au, user: fw_plastiche, password: whatever-you-were-given.

Thirdly check all the things mentioned earlier in the thread. Good luck.

PS If you use Windows, Exetel has a list of clients at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_t ... wnload.php. For Linux, the list is endless, but gftp is more than adequate.

plastiche

Post by plastiche » Sun Jan 25, 2009 10:34 pm

Thanks for your fast response Dazzled . I downloaded WS_FTP & it worked . I'm pleasantly surprised ....& little curious as to why my browser FTP worked for so long then gave up . Thanks again . Plastiche .

austdata

Post by austdata » Tue Jan 27, 2009 11:55 pm

Have you put your index.html file in to the public_html directory?

index.html is case sensitive and is the main or front page on your web site.
The views I present here are not necessarily those from my brain.
Exetel's support number outside Sydney: 1300 788 141 NOTE: I do not work for Exetel.