Webspace with no domain name

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
glittle

Webspace with no domain name

Post by glittle » Wed Jan 28, 2009 3:27 pm

I signed up for 300mb of webspace yesterday with the existing customer form. It had a field that said the name of the page and I thought that this was simply a descriptive value, so when I put in www.thenameofmysite.com (not actually the name but I will be registering a domain name of that format in the future) I thought I was just entering a title. It turns out that in the confirmation email, I have been told that I can now access my website through www.thenameofmysite.com, but of course I can't as I do not have this registered yet. Perhaps if they had said on the page that this was going to be the Domain Name of the page I would have understood this.

Anyhow, I will be registering the domain name very soon but in the mean time, can I access this page in any otherway through my web browser. When I sent an email to Exetel they said that I could not. I was hoping I could through something like http://home.exetel.com.au/abps/ like this webpage was.

Also, will this cause me problems once I do actually register the domain name.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Webspace with no domain name

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jan 28, 2009 5:26 pm

Are you asking about access via the File Transfer Protocol (FTP)? That method is used to place your data files on the Exetel web server, and requires special software to do properly. Many free versions can be downloaded to suit to each operating system.

Exetel will normally advise you of the FTP login details.

danielc

Post by danielc » Thu Jan 29, 2009 10:02 am

Hi,

Assuming that the name you register will be the same as the domain of the website name that you created, it shouldn't be a problem at all. Even if it turns out different, we (hosting) can sort it out for you.

The email you received should have informed you of the alternate URL you can use to FTP to your site in the time until you get your webspace setup. Unfortunately you need a DNS entry and hence a domain name in order to actually see the page in a browser. You can kind of fake this on your own PC only by modifying the hosts file (location varies depending on the OS you use) so that

www.yourwebsite.com points to 220.233.0.22

see: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hosts_file

Regards,
Daniel C

glittle

Post by glittle » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:18 pm

I have a simple index.html file in my public directory.

Should I not just be able to use http://220.233.0.22/index.html to access it?

glittle

Post by glittle » Thu Jan 29, 2009 2:27 pm

Cheers for the suggestion about altering the hosts file. Worked a treat. Will do fine till I get my domain name going.