Dreamweaver setup

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Sitalkes

Dreamweaver setup

Post by Sitalkes » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:48 pm

hi, I would like to setup Dreamweaver to upload files but I can't get it to work. I thought I would try ftp instructions for exploerer but whatever combination of username and password I try doesn't work (I got the password reset so I could be sure I had the right one). Could the instructions on Web page setup page please be updated so they apply exactly to Internet Explorer. I did get the Internet Explorer upload to work before (after many attempts0 but None of the picture links on my web page work since I transferred it from the old server.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Dreamweaver setup

Post by Dazzled » Thu Jan 29, 2009 12:55 pm

Make life simple, IE is not the tool for this job. You are talking to a Linux server using the file transfer protocol, so get a proper ftp client. There are several for Windows linked at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_t ... wnload.php

Sitalkes

Post by Sitalkes » Fri Jan 30, 2009 12:13 pm

I only want to use IE because instructions are provided on what you are supposed to enter into the dialogue boxes. Other ftp clients ask for more detail, which is not provided. I feel that if I can get IE to work then I have a chance of knowing how to setup an alternative eg Dreamweaver's integrated ftp client.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 30, 2009 1:00 pm

You are doing a simple thing the hard way as you may need to do more than merely file copy. However, perhaps this article will help http://www.computorcompanion.com/LPMArticle.asp?ID=256

Even if you use an application to compose your site, you would really be better off with an ftp client to handle directory creation, Linux file permissions, file deletions and file transfer. Also, if you need Linux dot files (.htaccess), IE will give you more bother.

See also http://kb.adobe.com/selfservice/viewCon ... d=tn_14787

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Jan 30, 2009 3:21 pm

Sitalkes wrote:I only want to use IE because instructions are provided on what you are supposed to enter into the dialogue boxes. Other ftp clients ask for more detail, which is not provided. I feel that if I can get IE to work then I have a chance of knowing how to setup an alternative eg Dreamweaver's integrated ftp client.
I use Core FTP LE. It is very easy to set up, all you need to enter is:
Site Name = however you want to identify your site
Host / IP / URL = home.exetel.com.au
Username = fw_(whatever your site name is)
Password = as allocated by Exetel

Leave all the other values as default.

Post again if you get stuck.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal