My images wont show on my free webspace

Post by topmarks » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:11 pm

I can veiw the pages no probs but the images are just a red X

http://home.exetel.com.au/rileymarks/index.htm

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: My images wont show on my free webspace

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 03, 2009 9:32 pm

You haven't got the filenames right. "../images/xxxx" puts images as a child of the current directory's parent. Use 1 dot, probably.

The red X is browser dependent. Opera for example shows nothing, but when I force a user style sheet onto your site, I can see your layout with all the image locations blanked out. Firefox shows a bunch of empty squares.

There are several minor syntax errors, almost certainly due to the composing software you have used.

Edit: Just in case you have deliberately tried to put /images at the same rank as your home directory - you cannot, you don't own that space. images must be a child of your home directory.

topmarks

Post by topmarks » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:12 pm

thanks for your reply

i have no idea what you are trying to explain to me....very new at all this

is there an easier way to explain

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:30 pm

I have downloaded your site's html source, which you prepared in Microsoft Frontpage (that's why there are some syntax errors).

If you open the file index.html as a text file (use notepad) you will see several pieces of text that go "src=" followed by a Unix file name in quotes. These are tags telling where to find the images that are to be displayed. Unfortunately those file names are not in your webspace, because of the double dots, and the browser gets served nothing by Exetel's web server.

If you have a directory called /images off your home directory, the proper way to start the file names is one dot, so - "./images/sandname.gif"

Fix the source in Notepad, and put it back on the server with your ftp client. Make sure while using the ftp client that there really is an images directory full of picture files. If that doesn't fix it completely, we can go on from there.

I don't know wht Frontpage has done this to you, unless you have an image folder on your computer that is not located directly under your source file. It is not an efficient or well regarded way to make websites.
Last edited by Dazzled on Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Mar 03, 2009 10:46 pm

Another less important comment, for when the images are ok-- you are using specific Windows fonts which are unlikely to be found on a great many machines. Most browsers will substitute "sans-serif" and use whatever their machine supplies under that category.