How to setup a WebSpace

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
bbb01

How to setup a WebSpace

Post by bbb01 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 2:46 pm

Hi,

I am new to setting up a webspace

After I have created a Webspace, how do i setup the page. I have created a web page using fusion net objects
Do i just dump those files onto the ftp site?

any assistance would be great.

Thankyou
BBB01

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: How to setup a WebSpace

Post by Dazzled » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:07 pm

First, go to the users' facilities, and get a webspace and ftp password. Then, if you haven't one, get a proper ftp client. It's default with LInux, but Windows users have to install one - the exetel web page notes have some suggestions.

The next step is to prepare the html source files. The best and most foolproof way for simple sites is to learn a little html and css, and modify an existing template in a text editor. There are heaps for free at http://www.opendesigns.org/ You are still an apprentice, so don't pick anything too advanced.

You can use also composing software for Windows, but many of them produce erroneous code which forces browsers into making guesses at display time, so keep it simple. Even Office word processors can produce html files for simple jobs.

You must arrange your home page to be in "index.html". Note the spelling and case - the web runs Unix/Linux. You can refer to images and other file material so long as they are placed at the same level as your home page, or in a subdirectory below it. For simplicity keep all file names in lower case, as Linux is case-sensitive - "D" is not "d", and it's "/folder", never "\folder".

Using your ftp client, move your files to the server, and create any needed subdirectories. Your browser should then be able to see the home page, and any referred files. If you get permission denied messages, go back to your ftp client and use the chmod function to sort out Linux file permissions. That shouldn't happen for a simple site, so if that sort of thing happens, post here again.

The rules for html coding are summarised at http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html40/ At this early stage, keep away from scripting, whether javascript on your browser or php on the server.

PS Because the site is served by Apache under the Linux OS, don't let composing software you use create specifically Microsoft environments. They won't work. Stick to plain standard html.

bbb01

Re: How to setup a WebSpace

Post by bbb01 » Sat Mar 07, 2009 3:55 pm

I worked it out - thankyou