ftp 910 error on file upload

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Hangie

ftp 910 error on file upload

Post by Hangie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 4:17 pm

G'day all,

I have a weather program (Lightsoft weather centre) that interfaces my weather station to my Mac. Part of the package has a ftp upload facility that will upload a weather observation page to a webserver.

When running, the ftp upload gets only part way through before the upstream connection fails. If I log in using a ftp client or firefox I get the same result. After some number of minutes the site becomes accessible via ftp again.

Here is the log of the ftp sequence:

16:01:01 29-Mar-09: FTP1: FTP upload starting.
16:01:01 29-Mar-09: FTP1: Uploading /Users/dale/Library/Application Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/background.jpg. (26 files left to upload.)
16:01:07 29-Mar-09: FTP1: Uploading /Users/dale/Library/Application Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/index.html. (25 files left to upload.)
16:01:09 29-Mar-09: FTP1: Uploading /Users/dale/Library/Application Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/menu.html. (24 files left to upload.)
16:01:11 29-Mar-09: FTP1: Uploading /Users/dale/Library/Application Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/stats.html. (23 files left to upload.)
16:01:11 29-Mar-09: FTP1: curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

16:01:11 29-Mar-09: FTP1: FTP ERROR (7) - Couldn't connect to host. Server down?
16:01:11 29-Mar-09: FTP1: FTP ERROR 910: Failed to start upload file://localhost/Users/dale/Library/Application%20Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/stats.html - retrying in 1 second.
16:01:12 29-Mar-09: FTP1: Uploading /Users/dale/Library/Application Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/stats.html. (23 files left to upload.)
16:01:12 29-Mar-09: FTP1: curl: (7) couldn't connect to host

16:01:12 29-Mar-09: FTP1: FTP ERROR (7) - Couldn't connect to host. Server down?
16:01:12 29-Mar-09: FTP1: FTP ERROR 910: Failed to start upload file://localhost/Users/dale/Library/Application%20Support/LWCWeb/LWCWeb/stats.html - retrying in 1 second.

Is my weather software exceeding a set number of ftp login or file upload limits?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: ftp 910 error on file upload

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 29, 2009 5:37 pm

Yes. To help ward off pests, the server has connection limits. See what 2 or 3 connections per minute (max) does. Otherwise you will need SysAdmin's help.

910 is a Mac port error,

Hangie

Post by Hangie » Sun Mar 29, 2009 7:14 pm

Thanks,
Tried using 3 connections, no luck.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 9:26 am

Hangie wrote:Thanks,
Tried using 3 connections, no luck.
3 connections or 3 connections per minute?

Andrew

Hangie

Post by Hangie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 1:50 pm

Woops,
That would be three connections, not per minute. The software loads up about thirty files or so every fifteen min.
It has a test function that uploads a single test.html file. This works no probs.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:18 pm

Hangie wrote:Woops,
That would be three connections, not per minute. The software loads up about thirty files or so every fifteen min.
It has a test function that uploads a single test.html file. This works no probs.
It is more then welcome to upload 30 files per 15 minutes no problem, so longer as it doe it with <= 3
connections/min. If it does it with 30 connections, one after the other, every 15 minutes then you have
a problem.

Andrew

Hangie

Post by Hangie » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:34 pm

Thanks Andrew.

I'll check with the coder re the ftp details. You would think that one connection and file transfer would make sense rather than one connection per file?

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Mar 30, 2009 4:42 pm

Hangie wrote:Thanks Andrew.

I'll check with the coder re the ftp details. You would think that one connection and file transfer would make sense rather than one connection per file?
So much sense, in fact, that it's even supported by the protocol itself. :)

Andrew

Hangie

Post by Hangie » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:32 pm

Well, funny enough, the software developer emailed me to say that LWC uses OS X curl to do the ftp work, one file, one connection. :o

I'll try another site and see what happens there!

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Wed Apr 01, 2009 12:55 pm

Hangie wrote:Well, funny enough, the software developer emailed me to say that LWC uses OS X curl to do the ftp work, one file, one connection. :o
Yaay! :) I take it these are uploads. If so the developer may wish to investigate the following:

Code: Select all

-T/--upload-file <file>
              This  transfers  the  specified local file to the remote URL. If
              there is no file part in the specified URL, Curl will append the
              local file name. NOTE that you must use a trailing / on the last
              directory to really prove to Curl that there is no file name  or
              curl will think that your last directory name is the remote file
              name to use. That will most likely cause the upload operation to
              fail.  If this is used on a http(s) server, the PUT command will
              be used.

Use the file name "-" (a single dash) to use stdin instead of  a
              given file.                                                       

You can specify one -T for each URL on the command line. Each -T  
              + URL pair specifies what to upload and to where. curl also sup‐
              ports "globbing" of the -T argument, meaning that you can upload
              multiple files to a single URL by using the  same  URL  globbing  
              style supported in the URL, like this:                            

curl -T "{file1,file2}" http://www.uploadtothissite.com           

or even

curl -T "img[1-1000].png" ftp://ftp.picturemania.com/upload/
That may do things sanely.

Andrew