Problems with Apple iWeb

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
michaeltas

Problems with Apple iWeb

Post by michaeltas » Sat May 23, 2009 6:26 pm

I've recently moved from a PC to an iMac, and I'm attempting to use the application iWeb to create a simple website: http://home.exetel.com.au/ridgydidge

I had successfully transferred files from the PC previously, but deleted the space and started again for the iWeb files.

I entered all the necessary details into iWeb, and when I asked it to test the connection it told me that the test was successful and that I could upload the files. Every time that I've tried to upload, however, I first get a message telling me that the upload will continue in the background, but then almost immediately I get the following error message:

Publish Error: There was an error communicating with the FTP server. Try again later, or check with your service provider.

I've attached a screen capture of the settings that I've entered into iWeb.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?

Thanks and regards,

Michael
Attachments
iWeb FTP Server Settings.tiff
iWeb FTP Server Settings.tiff (34.66 KiB) Viewed 1687 times

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Problems with Apple iWeb

Post by Dazzled » Sat May 23, 2009 8:56 pm

I can't read your attachment (image size = 0x0). There are several free Mac FTP clients; could you try logging in with one of these? You will possibly need one anyway if you have to do more than simple transfer, like file permissions or subdirectories.

You can also mount the server (connect to server) from your system, at least for reading. This would be the best way to check that your webspace and password are ok.

Edit: I got your image by wget from the server. Your host and user and port are ok. I think you will find the server is playing up, as my automated mounts aren't working either.

michaeltas

Post by michaeltas » Mon May 25, 2009 9:58 am

Thanks for your reply Dazzled!

I'm puzzled by your reference to mounting the server from my system, but then I'm pretty new to all of this. :oops:

Michael

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Mon May 25, 2009 12:47 pm

I have asked the appropriate admin to respond and investigate.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 25, 2009 1:27 pm

NetworkAdmin, FTP login is working today.

lingg

Post by lingg » Mon May 25, 2009 1:58 pm

michaeltas wrote: I've attached a screen capture of the settings that I've entered into iWeb.

Can someone please tell me what I'm doing wrong?
Please pm me your iWeb settings, usually there should be:

hostname:
username:
password:
upload directory:

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon May 25, 2009 2:27 pm

lingg, when ai looked at the OP's post on Sunday, I couldn't open any of the group of user websites for which I have permanent links configured for mounting, This morning all mounted successfully; the trouble was the Exetel server was refusing FTP logins on Sunday.

lingg

Post by lingg » Tue May 26, 2009 9:09 am

Dazzled wrote:lingg, when ai looked at the OP's post on Sunday, I couldn't open any of the group of user websites for which I have permanent links configured for mounting, This morning all mounted successfully; the trouble was the Exetel server was refusing FTP logins on Sunday.
I went through the log of last Sunday, couldn't find a time period the server was rejecting FTP connection. There were lots of Successful logins throughout the whole day.

You may want to try remount, of manually create a FTP connection :)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue May 26, 2009 9:26 am

Lingg, there is now a mystery. When my scripted mounts were unsuccesful I had a go manually using gftp. No show. Unfortunately I no longer have the log. I assumed that is why the OP struck his trouble.