Selling stuff on website

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Tafkam

Selling stuff on website

Post by Tafkam » Sun May 24, 2009 4:27 pm

Hi, We have a small home based digital recording studio, and a few regular clients. One is an elderly bush poet who has recorded 4 albums with us. We want to basically advertise them as available online, have pictures of the albums and a link to email for orders. I know the Exetel webspace is not for business use, but this is such small bikkies, I just wonder if it would count as business? We don't make money out of it, the purchase price just goes to production for the guy.
Failing that, does Exetel do business webhosting? I've had a look around, and while there are definitely some cheap web hosts out there, but the amount we turn over hardly justifies the price.
Any comments welcome.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Selling stuff on website

Post by Dazzled » Sun May 24, 2009 5:37 pm

I just did a quick search, and the free webspace has quite a few sites running micro-businesses, so you wouldn't be alone. In any case, why not turn it into the Bush Poets' Fan Club site?

NetworkAdmin

Post by NetworkAdmin » Mon May 25, 2009 12:43 pm

Exetel web hosting pricing and features is here:

http://www.exetel.com.au/w_web_hosting.php

The difference between paid hosting and the free web site you get with the ADSL service is; the free service is 'best effort' and you can only use a url in the form of home.exetel.com.au/yoursitename. The data is not backed up by us, and also the web server features supported are limited.

Whereas the paid hosting allows you to use your own domain name in the form www.yourdomain.com.au. The site is backed up and we have a standby server in the case of hardware failure.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Mon May 25, 2009 5:13 pm

The Fan Club is a good idea Dazzled :D
I don't need a domain name for it, and it's really not all that necessary to have it backed up or anything.....most of his CDs are distributed via the local music store, but I've been listing them online on "Oztion" and they're turning over quite nicely so obviously an online presence is an advantage. Maybe I'll just upload the pages I've done and let Exetel tell me if it's not allowed.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:25 pm

Tafkam wrote:The Fan Club is a good idea Dazzled :D
I don't need a domain name for it, and it's really not all that necessary to have it backed up or anything.....most of his CDs are distributed via the local music store, but I've been listing them online on "Oztion" and they're turning over quite nicely so obviously an online presence is an advantage. Maybe I'll just upload the pages I've done and let Exetel tell me if it's not allowed.
Maybe host say 30sec of each song on home.exetel and have a "click to listen" link on your oztion listings.

Mike Agent N040

Post by Mike Agent N040 » Thu Nov 19, 2009 11:40 pm

I seem to remember years ago Exetel would delete all multimedia files off their free hosting server every night. I don't know if that still happens but it would be worth testing.
Exetel Agent N040
http://auzzie.net/cccweb

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Nov 20, 2009 7:24 am

Email pro-forma in the web site conditions--
To: copyright-request@exetel.com.au
Subject: Please allow directory for media storage
ADSL Line Number:
Webspace Name:
I advise that I am the copyright owner, have permission of the copyright owner or that there is no copyright on the files I will place in the above directories, and therefore request they be exempt from automatic deletion.

Tafkam

Post by Tafkam » Mon Dec 07, 2009 11:21 pm

New question about the same website......
For some reason, some people are having trouble using the web page order form. http://home.exetel.com.au/lizardgrip/Order%20form.html
Just occasionally I get an email from people saying when they press "submit" on the order form nothing happens. Any idea what causes this? If anyone wants to try the form, just put "Exetel forum" or something in the name field. I'd be interested to see if anyone has any idea what the problem might be.
So far it's happened about 4 times, at least 3 from ISP emails and one from a gmail address. Would the email client they're using make any difference? Or if they use webmail?
Any help appreciated.....

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Dec 08, 2009 8:57 am

Tafkam, you'll probably have to go out and shoot Web Page Maker for some of this. For example, there are a few validation errors (ie bad syntax); it uses Microsoft-only fonts; and the lack of a style sheet has complicated the page, forcing Javascript to be used unnecessarily. But there is also an email address as a URL in the form's action, which while marginally legal, is not universally supported. See the comment at http://www.htmlhelp.com/reference/html4 ... /form.html This is a common IE trap.

A warning article is at http://www.netmechanic.com/news/vol3/form_no4.htm and a very clear detailed warning is at http://www.isolani.co.uk/articles/mailto.html

There are other ways - perhaps send the form off to a php server-side script.

One day you may want to use Javascript to check the validity of the fields being sent, particularly if you should wish to send this automatically to a database.

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Tue Dec 08, 2009 11:17 am

The easiest way to have a form-to-email script is to use formmail. While formmail.pl, the usual script, isn't supported on some web based platforms, you can use the substitute, formmail.php.

There is documentation on site to guide you in setting up the form and script.
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005