Errors when connecting via FTP

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Colt

Errors when connecting via FTP

Post by Colt » Mon Jun 22, 2009 10:38 pm

Hey guys, for those that don't know I'm like the biggest noob ever when it comes to website design.

Good, with that out of the way - lets get started.

Basically I am starting a website intended for family photos in a photo album built by Lightroom. However lately when I ask Lightroom to update the page it pops back with an error message saying access was denied. Similarly when I use Dreamweaver I will also get messages saying the host timed out, the server is unavailable etc. Now, using the exact same settings I am often able to connect flawlessly. It seems completely down to trial and error, I'm definitely not changing any settings.

The only thing I can think of is that I'm using the .htaccess method to protect the page from unwelcome visitors. I don't know much about .htaccess, just what I need to in order to make it work. Could this be doing something weird to my ftp access?

FTP access also exhibits problems in Windows Explorer (Vista).

So yeah, that's about it.

Will post up any and all info as required.

EDIT: Firewall popped up about Dreamweaver...since enabling that I haven't had an issue in that program...will check others.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Errors when connecting via FTP

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jun 22, 2009 11:03 pm

.htaccess is a file used by Apache, the http web server. It is of no interest to the ftp server, and won't affect it at all. Even so, for a newbie, you are being somewhat brave setting encrypted passwords with .htaccess - get the site working first.You can get moderate privacy simply by putting your code in a subdirectory with an unlikely name, and only telling it to your friends. Play around with Linux security later on.

You will have better success using an ftp client. There are several free ones for Windows listed on the Exetel site at https://www.exetel.com.au/members/ftp_t ... wnload.php These will log you into the server fully.

Google et al won't index you if you ask them not to in the markup code.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Errors when connecting via FTP

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Jun 23, 2009 10:21 am

If you are just wanting a shared photo album, might I suggest Picasa shared albums, or a simple Google Sites setup. These have very user friendly page creation and image uploading facilities and are ideal for photo albums