Trying to setup my web space, but having probs

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
lovs2look

Re: Trying to setup my web space, but having probs

Post by lovs2look » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:42 pm

Ok, all done now.
New site at http://home.exetel.com.au/fixit
Check it out. I stuck to one page for the moment to keep it simple.

Again, thanks to all for your efforts, I really appreciate it.

Cheers for now

Lovs2look.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Jul 20, 2009 10:52 pm

That's a sexy effort! And you said my little template was hard. Where did that come from?

BTW - line 22, </ul> is missing the last >

PS I found the source. Just wab't looking!
Last edited by Dazzled on Tue Jul 21, 2009 2:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Jul 20, 2009 11:06 pm

Very nice.

I would suggest you remove the "<a>" tags from those bulletted points though (i.e. just make them "<li>PC hardware repairs, upgrades and maintenance</li>" unless you are going to have a separate page dedicated to each service / contact item. The email address however, you should retain as "<a href="mailto:tonypoupa@gmail.com">tonypoupa@gmail.com</a> so that it is clickable.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Jul 21, 2009 9:33 am

I caught this at bedtime last night, so I just dropped in for another look. You now have the html file nicely down to essentials, and only 91 well-structured lines.

This site needs to be found by Google, so give it some help. The lines-

Code: Select all

<meta name="Description" content="A free open source web design by Gen.  Free for anyone to use as long as credits are intact. " />
<meta name="Keywords" content="open source web design,http://gendesigns.blogspot.com" />
needs "content=" relevant to your business.

Corey's comment about email is important. </ul> is still malformed. The character encoding specified in the HTTP header (utf-8) is different from the value in the <meta> element (iso-8859-1) Use utf-8.

The css style is well crafted also, but could you look at font families? Arial is a Microsoft font, and may not exist on Macs, Linux etc. Verdana isn't always available either. Always add a backup font in the list which is universal, namely sans-serif

From a usability point of view, aging eyes have trouble with grey fonts on black. Could this be brightened a little, without spoiling the mouse over effects?

Just to show how the "structure" of the html has been interpreted by the style, here is a marked-up version.

Congrats for a fine first result in a modest time. I think newbie readers here would get quite a boost from an account of how you went about it.
Attachments
Screenshot.png
Screenshot.png (154.9 KiB) Viewed 2256 times

lovs2look

Have setup my web space!

Post by lovs2look » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:01 pm

Not having problems any more!
Dazzled, your advice was invaluable. I chose some templates from the link provided, saved them to my lappy, edited the text in wordpad (later changed to AceHTML freeware for extra clarity) reviewed the changes in a browser as I went, and presto! Site is up.
I still don't know how to "program" in html, but the templates make it a no-brainer. The undo feature in AceHTML was a life saver!
Didn't have to change anything in css files or do anything advanced at all. Who knew it was this easy?! The hardest part was coming up with the text and checking for spelling errors. I'm even doing version 2 now with links to multiple pages.
So I highly recommend that this whole thread become the tutorial/sticky if possible, as following this advice was too easy.

Once again, Dazzled...you da man! :lol:

Lovs2look.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:15 pm

Thanks. It really is good to see somebody just dive in and get it done reasonably quickly. Very satisfying when the job turns out as well as yours.

AceHTML is an example of the sexed-up text editors that people who do this a lot use, a sort of Notepad with bells on. My favs are Bluefish and Screem (both Linux jobbies). For syntax checking, from time to time use the websites http://validator.w3.org/ (html) and http://jigsaw.w3.org/css-validator/ (css). They can upload from an online URL or direct from your file system. Many of the programmers' text editors can link to these online engines. I notice there is a checker built into AceHTML.

And you are right - it is much harder to think out your content, than it is to code it.

lovs2look

Post by lovs2look » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:18 pm

Dazzled wrote:That's a sexy effort! And you said my little template was hard. Where did that come from?
Didn't say hard, I said quicker!
...just that I had never used html before so it was all new to me, but after sitting *patiently* for a couple of hours in front of the lappy, it is starting to make some sense.

Thanks for the heads up Corey, I will try to incorporate those suggestions into version 2. You're right about "aging eyes" (mine included!) so I'll see if I can make the text white or similar. After staring at it for a couple of hours on my 12.1 inch screen, my eyes were shot for the rest of the night. Gotta get me a 22 inch screen!

BTW - if I allow the mail to: link to be clickable, won't it get crawled by spammers and I'll get a flood of sh*t in my inbox?

Cheers,
Lovs2look - but going blind!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 22, 2009 1:28 pm

Do colours in the css file.

A link like:
<a href ="mailto:fixit@exemail.com.au">Email me</a>
is what Corey suggested. The browser shows a link named "Email me", which when clicked starts a popup that will call up your system's mail client already addressed to your email address. Yes, web crawlers can find it, but that is the price you pay if you want customer emails. If that really bothers you, another approach is to put your email address into an image, crawlers can't read that, and put that in the document. If you do, you lose the convenient click and send.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jul 22, 2009 5:04 pm

lovs2look wrote:BTW - if I allow the mail to: link to be clickable, won't it get crawled by spammers and I'll get a flood of sh*t in my inbox?
Whether or not the mailto: link is there, crawlers will still detect the words of the form "name@site" and harvest it for spam purposes. There are a number of ways to prevent this but in general if the address appears as text, or a user can click it as a link, then spammers can harvest it.

As Dazzled suggests, the simple solution is to make it non-clickable and non-text. So an image will do it. Or you can make it clickable but trick spammers by using something like "Email me at <a href="fix.it@exemail.com.au">fix.it@exemail.com.au</a> but please the period before emailing to prove you are not a spammer".

lovs2look

Look ma! I setup my web space.

Post by lovs2look » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:14 pm

Well...dare I say it? ...but this is kinda fun!
I have version 2 uploaded now, and if I do say so myself, not a bad effort. Much "sexier". Thank goodness for great templates. :wink:
If you guys could give it a once over for me and point out any glaring errors, I'd appreciate it. http://home.exetel.com.au/fixit/index.html
I couldn't quite work out the links to each page in the header, so I kinda improvised, but it works, so - what the hey.
And I have uninstalled Net Objects too. So much for "easy" web site creation software. All you need is wordpad, an ftp client and a good template site.
Going off to look at more templates for version 3!
Have left the email link click-able for convenience - the people I expect to visit it may not be bothered to remove anything before clicking, and Gmail's not bad at removing spam.
Thanks for the patience and helpful advice Dazzled and Corey. You guys rock.

Ciao for now,

Lovs2look

Edit: Ahhhh crap! Just tried the search feature and it don't work...boo hoo. I see version 3.1 in my future...I'll probably just remove it as it's not required. Poo!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:33 pm

I think that one is a better one for your average customer, who will appreciate something as professional as this, without the overt "graphic designer" appeal of the all-black model.

I also like the neat way you handled the second contact page.

There are 7 coding errors on the home page, and 11 on the second, all trivial and easily fixed, including some slips with links. Run it through the validator site and you will be told what to do, else use your editor-checker. Always fix errors, because although the page may display right on your browser, it may not on others. <tag>... must always have an end marker, like so: </tag> XML is unforgiving in this respect.

Do you need the search panel for a small site? If not delete the <div> between lines 31 and 40. This is actually an online form, and you would have to do something with it at the server.

{edit: No, search won't work. More stuff needed, wait till you are ready. This isn't a 50 page site.
PS - Notepad or other plain text editor please]

lovs2look

my web space

Post by lovs2look » Wed Jul 22, 2009 8:44 pm

Cheers Dazzled, will run it through the checker and delete the search bits.
Just shopping for 22 inch screens at the moment! :)

Lovs2look

lovs2look

have setup my web space, no probs

Post by lovs2look » Fri Jul 24, 2009 8:29 pm

Well I think I've upped a 'final' version 2, hopefully with no errors!
Will start on a tutorial of my experiences. When done, should I up that here?
I am forever grateful for the advice and support that I received here...especially to Dazzled and CoreyPlover, thanks guys. You taught me so much and in record time too. I never mentioned it, but I was working to a deadline, and those guys had sound advice so fast...it made my head spin at times!
Now it's time for beer...cheers.

Lovs2look.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:28 pm

I sent you a message...
Couple of little probs to clean up - <tag> does not match </TAG>, as XML does not ignore case differences;
and you have introduced style into a div in the html, with an error - you should move this to the css file.

I look forward to the report, it should be useful.

tulett

Post by tulett » Fri Jul 24, 2009 9:43 pm

It's working as a general tutorial already. I've spent the week thinking about how I was going to create a website, and I came across this. Thanks heaps lovs2look for asking the questions and Dazzled & Corey for the brilliant answers. I've been wanting to learn about style sheets for ages and this has been an excellent start. Thanks again.