Website

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Post Reply
MikeW
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Melb

Website

Post by MikeW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:05 pm

Ok sorry if this has been posted but have had a look and cant find exactly.

I have activated my webspace and have uploaded some files I want to share with other via http://home.exetel.com.au/mawhite/

I have created a blank index.html file in the main directory after logging into the FT site (where I can see the files). What do I have to do to allow others to see these via the link without having to provide the password to people I send it to. I had a similiar setup in aaNet and didn't need to do anything special.

thanks for any guidance.

Michael

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Website

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 9:42 pm

A Microsoft Office file containing nothing but undisplayable garbage is one hell of an overkill for a blank file! Much easier would be a proper index file containg a heading and a list of links to your material.

Another way, which may suit you better, is:
1. Create a subdirectory or folder in your web space, using the ftp client. In that new directory place your various files, plus a small file called .htaccess.

2. Note the spelling and leading full stop. This is an illegal file name in Windows, so create it in Notepad, called say htaccess.txt, and move it over with ftp. Do not use Office. When you have the file uploaded change its name to the correct form with the ftp client.

3. .htaccess must contain only one line, exactly as this:

Code: Select all

Options +Indexes
Others will be able to reach the new folder with their browsers, eg http://home.exetel.com.au/mawhite/mythings and will see a display of downloadable files.

MikeW
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Melb

Re: Website

Post by MikeW » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:04 pm

Dazzled wrote:A Microsoft Office file containing nothing but undisplayable garbage is one hell of an overkill for a blank file! Much easier would be a proper index file containg a heading and a list of links to your material.

Another way, which may suit you better, is:
1. Create a subdirectory or folder in your web space, using the ftp client. In that new directory place your various files, plus a small file called .htaccess.

2. Note the spelling and leading full stop. This is an illegal file name in Windows, so create it in Notepad, called say htaccess.txt, and move it over with ftp. Do not use Office. When you have the file uploaded change its name to the correct form with the ftp client.

3. .htaccess must contain only one line, exactly as this:

Code: Select all

Options +Indexes
Others will be able to reach the new folder with their browsers, eg http://home.exetel.com.au/mawhite/mythings and will see a display of downloadable files.
Thanks - not sure what you mean about the Office file. Opened up a blank page and saved as a HTM file then renamed to HTML is all.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Website

Post by Dazzled » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:12 pm

Re Office, yes I know. 21 KB of nothing. If you follow the .htaccess method you won't need it. Just don't use Word to create the file - Word does not produce ASCII standard text files. Use Notepad.

MikeW
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Melb

Re: Website

Post by MikeW » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:13 am

Mmmm. Followed your instructions exactly. 1KB .htaccess. file in "Videos" directory off the main.

http://home.exetel.com.au/mawhite/Videos/

Takes me to a 403 Forbidden.

Sorry for the asking what next....

cheers

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Website

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 19, 2009 7:22 am

It should work, so that your browser gets a directory tree of your files in a downloadable format. There is another hard-to-fathom "Forbidden" problem this morning, so we may have to wait until a system admin picks up this thread.

MikeW
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Melb

Re: Website

Post by MikeW » Mon Oct 19, 2009 4:58 pm

Anyone able to shed light on why this wont work?


EDIT - this works now. Followed instructions to a T with ".htaccess." but needed to get rid of the last "."
rgds
Last edited by MikeW on Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

SysAdmin

Re: Website

Post by SysAdmin » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:02 pm

MikeW wrote:Anyone able to shed light on why this wont work?
Making the extention nothing does not actually remove the . extension separator.

You have: .htaccess.

You need to have: .htaccess

Andrew

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Website

Post by Dazzled » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:17 pm

Glad that's fixed. Is that the result you are after? It has the benefit that you can change files around and don't have to code anything.

MikeW
Posts: 43
Joined: Mon May 18, 2009 1:29 pm
Location: Melb

Re: Website

Post by MikeW » Mon Oct 19, 2009 5:33 pm

Dazzled wrote:Glad that's fixed. Is that the result you are after? It has the benefit that you can change files around and don't have to code anything.
Yep thanks Dazzled.

Franz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: australia

Re: Website

Post by Franz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 9:32 pm

Hi

I have just tried to follow the instructions by dazzled given to MikeW last October.

My aim is to use the webspace for the remote calendar file for use with Lighting / Thunderbird so I can access it from my netbook when I travel.

My webspace is http://home.exetel.com.au/gorokan1/MyCalendars/

I have created the .htaccess file with notepad and uploaded it to the MyCalendar folder and also a sample calendar file (special.ics) . I can see it there with the ftp client, but going to the website I receive a 500 Server error.

What am I doing wrong ?

Many thanks for any help.
Franz

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin
Posts: 6003
Joined: Mon Nov 13, 2006 1:16 pm
Location: Sydney

Re: Website

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jan 29, 2010 10:11 pm

The message indicates that you are asking the server to do something forbidden or in error. Do you have a script as the index file, with a file error for example?

.htaccess (spelled exactly like that) containing only the single line Options +Indexes will cause the server to display a directory listing of that directory. There is no need for an index.html or index.php file in the directory. Since this is a subdirectory it will inherit any .htaccess above it, so don't put one there.

If you used Notepad, use the ftp client to delete the suffix ".txt" on the server copy.

Franz
Posts: 2
Joined: Mon Nov 09, 2009 4:09 pm
Location: australia

Re: Website

Post by Franz » Fri Jan 29, 2010 11:03 pm

Hi dazzled

Thanks for the comments: works OK now. Clue is in this line:
".htaccess (spelled exactly like that) containing only the single line Options +Indexes will cause the server to display a directory listing of that directory"

I copied/pasted from the october thread, not realizing I had picked up both lines.

Many thanks again
Franz

Post Reply