MX Record for Exetel Backup/Failover Server

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
oldmate800

MX Record for Exetel Backup/Failover Server

Post by oldmate800 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:24 am

Hi everyone.

I have setup my exetel hosted DNS records to point mail at my server at home - this works fine. I would also like to have a backup or failover server hold my mail if my mail server goes offline. Im sure I have seen somewhere on Exetels website that it is possible. I want it to hold my mail unitl my server comes back online, at which time exetels server should push all my mail through to my server.

My current dns setup is the following::
@ 1d MX 10 mail.seeair.com.au.
@ 1d MX 20 ipmx1.po.exetel.com.au.
@ 1d MX 30 ipmx2.po.exetel.com.au.

I've only done some basic testing, but it appears that when my mail server is offline, the mail is sent to the exetel server (ipmx1.po.exetel.com.au.) but it is bouncing the mail back to the sender with the following error: (I have ommitted the actual addresses for privacy)

Failed to send to identified host,
*******@seeair.com.au: [220.233.2.145], 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.
--- Message non-deliverable.

Now it appears to me that from that error, the exetel server "doesn't know" whos address that is and is bouncing. Which leads me to the question, is this the right server of exetels to use as a backup and have I setup the DNS records properly??

Thanks.

James
Exetel Staff

Re: MX Record for Exetel Backup/Failover Server

Post by James » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:29 am

oldmate800 wrote:Hi everyone.

I have setup my exetel hosted DNS records to point mail at my server at home - this works fine. I would also like to have a backup or failover server hold my mail if my mail server goes offline. Im sure I have seen somewhere on Exetels website that it is possible. I want it to hold my mail unitl my server comes back online, at which time exetels server should push all my mail through to my server.

My current dns setup is the following::

I've only done some basic testing, but it appears that when my mail server is offline, the mail is sent to the exetel server (ipmx1.po.exetel.com.au.) but it is bouncing the mail back to the sender with the following error: (I have ommitted the actual addresses for privacy)

Failed to send to identified host,
*******@seeair.com.au: [220.233.2.145], 550 #5.1.0 Address rejected.
--- Message non-deliverable.

Now it appears to me that from that error, the exetel server "doesn't know" whos address that is and is bouncing. Which leads me to the question, is this the right server of exetels to use as a backup and have I setup the DNS records properly??

Thanks.
You might need to order secondary email hosting.

SysAdmin

Post by SysAdmin » Tue Apr 06, 2010 11:37 am

oldmate800 wrote: My current dns setup is the following::

That is the correct behaviour. You need to order secondry email hosting
and use mx1.exetel.com.au as the secondry MX. The MX's you have chosen
are for hosting mailboxes on our servers.

Andrew

oldmate800

Post by oldmate800 » Tue Apr 06, 2010 1:29 pm

Makes perfect sense! Thanks very much guys.