Troubles installing Wordpress for n00b

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
maheshsharma

Troubles installing Wordpress for n00b

Post by maheshsharma » Fri May 14, 2010 10:15 am

Hi

I would just like to apologise in advance for the basic questions I am asking. This is the first time i've tried doing anything beyond Windows installer or online registration. :)

I have searched for answers through this forum's archives and on Google, but am having no luck.

Basically, I'm trying to install Wordpress on my Exetel hosted site, http://www.urnews.org.

I have tried to follow Wordpress's installation instructions, which basically requires uploading the files to the server and then executing a php script via a web browser.

I can upload files to the server, however when I try to access these from the internet from a variety of browsers, I simply get a 'cannot locate remote server' error. Does this have anything to do with the fact that I can only upload files to the host 'vh1.web.exetel.com.au' and not directly to 'urnews.org'?

I haven't set up an index.html file for the site but I didn't think this was necessary if I was installing Wordpress. Please correct me if i'm mistaken.

Again, I sincerely apologise for the simple questions, but I'm completely new to all this. Any advice or insight would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers
Mahesh

lingg

Re: Troubles installing Wordpress for n00b

Post by lingg » Tue May 25, 2010 9:18 am

Hi Mahesh,

Sorry for the late reply, I've been dealing with you through helpdesk, forgot to reply here.

This was due to an invalid domain name registration, we are working on it to fix the orders you submitted.