Hosted domain - how long for zone file updates?

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
Klaas

Hosted domain - how long for zone file updates?

Post by Klaas » Thu Jul 08, 2010 9:09 pm

I have a domain hosted with Exetel. The only zone file entry I set up was a cname for www pointing to a hosted blog space.

An hour or so ago, as I have "moved" the blog to another server, I logged into my member facilities, and removed the www cname definition, replacing it with a A record for @, pointing to the IP address of the new host server. I thought that as the domain is hosted by Exetel's nameservers, the Exetel DNS servers would update pretty quickly.

However, it appears that the cname definition is still in force - pinging www.domainname.etc points to the "old" server, and pinging plain old domainname.etc says it is unresolved.

Any idea how long it will take to update?

Klaas

Re: Hosted domain - how long for zone file updates?

Post by Klaas » Fri Jul 09, 2010 7:22 am

Got up this morning, and it's all working, so I guess I was just a little impatient :D

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Hosted domain - how long for zone file updates?

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Jul 09, 2010 9:29 am

I was going to guess "6-12 hours" but that was purely a guess based on non-Exetel based DNS updates so I didn't post it. Good that it is functioning now though
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au