Exetel Hosting: Secondary/Slave DNS for our domain

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
swsaadmin

Exetel Hosting: Secondary/Slave DNS for our domain

Post by swsaadmin » Sat Apr 06, 2013 11:36 am

We currently host the primary DNS for our domain on-site and our secondary DNS is hosted by our old ISP. Our old ISP has configured their DNS servers to be slaves to our primary DNS so that they will accept zone transfers for our domain from our primary DNS. So if our primary DNS goes down for any reason for an extended period, our domain will continue to be resolvable using the secondary DNS hosted by our ISP.

Here is a link to more information in regards to configuring a slave DNS:
http://www.zytrax.com/books/dns/ch6/#slave

We are currently in the process of migrating all of our services over to a new Exetel connection and require the same secondary DNS hosting to be provided by Exetel.

We have requested the Exetel hosting team to set this up for us and have tried calling and talking to them a few times now and the people on the support line insist there is nothing that needs to be configured on Exetel's side in regards to their DNS. The only thing we need to do on our side is to change the NS entries in our domain registration to use Exetel's NS as the secondary NS and then Exetel's DNS will automatically accept the zone transfers from our Primary NS for our domain.

Is this correct?

I ask this because we specifically required our old ISP to make configuration changes on their DNS to make them slaves to our primary NS and accept zone transfers from us for our domain.

I also see Telstra internet direct also requires this to be configured with their DNS before it will work:
http://www.telstra.com.au/business-ente ... meservices
Secondary Domain Name System (DNS)
Telstra Internet Direct can act as a secondary or slave host for a customer’s domain. This service will mirror the domain information on the domain’s primary host. For more information or to configure our servers to act as a secondary server for your domain enter CustData (available to customers only).
We would be very surprised if Exetel's DNS will automatically accept zone transfers from our Primary NS without any configuration changes.

Can someone please confirm this before we go ahead and update our domain NS records and break DNS resolution for our domain?

asankag
Exetel Staff

Re: Exetel Hosting: Secondary/Slave DNS for our domain

Post by asankag » Sat Apr 06, 2013 4:40 pm

Hi,

I will check with our Level 2 engineers and will update you regarding this.
---
Regards,
Asanka | L2 - VoIP Engineer

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Sun Apr 07, 2013 3:04 pm

You can nominate DNS servers for your domain in your portal.

swsaadmin

Post by swsaadmin » Mon Apr 08, 2013 1:29 pm

James wrote:You can nominate DNS servers for your domain in your portal.
Yes, we know that and can do that no problems. But please re-read original post. This is not what I am asking. What we require is configuration changes on the Exetel DNS servers side to allow them to mirror our domain information from the domain’s primary host (our primary DNS server). So the Exetel DNS would act as a slave to our domains primary host.

We can change the NS records for the domain to use Exetel's DNS servers but that wont make them mirror the domain information from our domains primary host.

asankag
Exetel Staff

Post by asankag » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:02 pm

Hi,

Our sysadmins have confirmed this is doable, but requires changes to be done our servers. They will get in touch with you with further details regarding this and I have passed on your contact details that you PMed me to them.
---
Regards,
Asanka | L2 - VoIP Engineer

yasirug
Exetel Staff

Post by yasirug » Mon Apr 08, 2013 5:22 pm

Secondary domain name hosting can be done, and yes will need to do configuration changes from our end.
To arrange this service we will need to know the domain name and its primary domain name hosting server.
You need to open a ticket by sending an email to hosting@exetel.com.au. I'll contact you through the ticket and discuss further.

swsaadmin

Post by swsaadmin » Tue Apr 09, 2013 8:22 am

Thanks for your help guys.