filezilla on a mac

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs

filezilla on a mac

Postby rocky3 on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:42 pm

Hi, I have taken on a "club " website - hosted by 3rd party, and I'm on a mac. I have uploaded filezilla, but it wont connect. My firewall is set to accept ftp. When I run the install "test" my IP is ok, ports are ok, but an error message comes back from exetel server ?? There must be something i'm missing - any tips appreciated . Thanks Dave

Response: 200 Using port 59888, data token 2072385146
PORT 58,96,109,233,233,240
Response: 200 PORT command successful
LIST
Response: 150 opening data connection
Response: 503 Failure of data connection.
Server sent unexpected reply.
Connection closed
rocky3

Re: filezilla on a mac

Postby Dazzled on Wed Jun 05, 2013 11:52 pm

I'm not big on Mac, but it's got ftp built-in to the command line, like Linux. Are you using the Connect to Server GUI window? Error 503 is frequently a user/password error - officially bad sequence of commands.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby asankag on Thu Jun 06, 2013 12:14 am

Hi Rocky3,

I'm a bit confused on what you have mentioned. I'll break it down so you can answer the questions.

I have taken on a "club " website - hosted by 3rd party

As I understand, the site is hosted on a server in the internet. Are trying to connect to this server?

I have uploaded filezilla, but it wont connect

Do you mean that you have uploaded FileZilla to the above mentioned server or on to your own computer.

My firewall is set to accept ftp

Again is this hosted server or your computer/modem?

In order for us to further troubleshoot this issue could you please send an email to residentialsupport@exetel.com.au with the following details:

• FTP server address
  • Username & Password used to connect to the server.
---
Regards,
Asanka | L2 - VoIP Engineer
asankag
Exetel Staff

Postby Dazzled on Thu Jun 06, 2013 9:44 am

These messages are from Filezilla? You are in active mode? Check your active mode settings in Filezilla - see also https://wiki.filezilla-project.org/Netw ... ctive_mode.

[ps] Downloading a file on the Mac terminal in passive mode is a simple affair... see, eg, http://www.maclife.com/article/howtos/h ... e_mac_os_x
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby rocky3 on Thu Jun 06, 2013 10:02 pm

Hi, and thanks to the responses, however I think I have not got as far with this yet as some may think. I have installed filezilla on my computer , run the install wizard , ( passive mode) and run the "installation test". That is where i get the "503 Failure " message etc. I have not even yet tried to connect to the website I wish to access , assuming I have not set up filezilla correctly, tho it did look as if the settings were all good .......
so tonight I decided to ignore the filezilla installation test and enter details for the website - and lo and behold - it accessed it !! Thanks again for input, no doubt I will have need of your help again !!!

Dave
rocky3

Return to Web space, mirror & blog services