Domain hosting and email redirection (again)

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs

Domain hosting and email redirection (again)

Postby squeakytown on Sun Jan 05, 2014 12:17 pm

Hi,

Once more for the dummy...

In the next few months I will be transferring the domain name registration and hosting to exetel for our surf club.
I have already tested the free webhosting by installing our complete website there.

The primary goal is to reduce costs as we are a 100% voluntary club.

I expect when we are ready I will change ...surfclub.com to point to home.exetel.com.au/...surfclub

The only thing left will be the redirection of any email for the domain (@...surfclub.com) to be redirected to our local account.
Do I have to also pay for email hosting to get the email redirection or is their a cheaper alternative to have any domain addressed email redirected?

Dave
squeakytown

Re: Domain hosting and email redirection (again)

Postby HashiniA on Sun Jan 05, 2014 4:01 pm

squeakytown wrote:Hi,

The only thing left will be the redirection of any email for the domain (@...surfclub.com) to be redirected to our local account.
Do I have to also pay for email hosting to get the email redirection or is their a cheaper alternative to have any domain addressed email redirected?

Dave

Hi Dave,

Yes. You need to have an active email hosting service for surfclub.com with a hosting provider in order to redirect these emails to your local account.
HashiniA
Exetel Staff

Postby CoreyPlover on Tue Jan 07, 2014 12:06 pm

squeakytown wrote:Do I have to also pay for email hosting to get the email redirection or is their a cheaper alternative to have any domain addressed email redirected?

You might want to look into Google Apps. Once established, you can maintain the "www" and other web A records pointing to the Exetel host but add a mail MX record and the "mail" subdomain A record to a google server. This gives you free, Gmail hosted email available at, say, mail.surfclub.com. From here, you have the power of the full Gmail webmail, great anti-spam filtering and can connect a "local account" (such as Outlook or Thunderbird) via POP3 mail download or IMAP mail synchronisation.

However, I recall hearing that Google stopped this free App hosting a short while ago, so I'm unsure about pricing.

Edit:Yes: Google discontinued free Apps for limited users back at end of 2012. You can do Google hosted email (and calendar, sites, etc) for $50 per year via for Google Apps for Business (http://www.google.com.au/intx/en_au/ent ... icing.html), though there also seems to be a free Outlook.com version of the hosted email (http://lifehacker.com/5967097/use-outlo ... nal-domain)
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby squeakytown on Sat Jul 12, 2014 11:48 am

Hi,

I am now ready to transfer the domain hosting to Exetel and map the domain to the free Exetel web URL I have setup.

Should I change the mapping first to the Exetel URL at the current host and then request the transfer?

The domain is a .com - how long would it take to transfer and what sort of down time would be experienced for the URL?

Thanks.
Dave
squeakytown

Postby Kaushalya on Sat Jul 12, 2014 4:21 pm

Hi Dave,

We will check further with our system admins and let you know :)
Kaushalya
Exetel Staff

Postby squeakytown on Mon Jul 14, 2014 3:38 pm

Thanks,

Can I ask for some technical assistance in what steps I need to do to move the domain registration/domain hosting/email hosting?

Currently everything is with the one company - server101
Our contract expires in 2 weeks.

I want to :
1) Transfer Domain Registration to Exetel (domain is registered to 2017-06-27)
1.1) Unlock Domain at https://manage.opensrs.net/index.cgi?ac ... in_locking
1.2) Transfer Domain Registration on myExetel page (Does this have a cost?)
2) Add Domain Hosting to use the free Exetel Webspace (Cost $20 per year)
2.1) Change Domain URL to point to http://home.exetel.com.au/...... (Where do I link my domain.com to Exetel Free page?)
3) Move Email Hosting with SOHO (Free)
3.1) Add SOHO CNAME Entry to domain to allow verify
3.2) Add Email accounts @domainname.com on SOHO
3.3) Change MX Record to use SOHO.
Is this all I need to run the website?
Do I complete these in the order shown and/or could I perform 2 or 3 before or while the transfer is happening or best to wait?
squeakytown

Postby KavindaS on Mon Jul 14, 2014 7:07 pm

squeakytown wrote:Thanks,

Can I ask for some technical assistance in what steps I need to do to move the domain registration/domain hosting/email hosting?

Currently everything is with the one company - server101
Our contract expires in 2 weeks.

I want to :
1) Transfer Domain Registration to Exetel (domain is registered to 2017-06-27)
1.1) Unlock Domain at https://manage.opensrs.net/index.cgi?ac ... in_locking
1.2) Transfer Domain Registration on myExetel page (Does this have a cost?)
2) Add Domain Hosting to use the free Exetel Webspace (Cost $20 per year)
2.1) Change Domain URL to point to http://home.exetel.com.au/...... (Where do I link my domain.com to Exetel Free page?)
3) Move Email Hosting with SOHO (Free)
3.1) Add SOHO CNAME Entry to domain to allow verify
3.2) Add Email accounts @domainname.com on SOHO
3.3) Change MX Record to use SOHO.
Is this all I need to run the website?
Do I complete these in the order shown and/or could I perform 2 or 3 before or while the transfer is happening or best to wait?

All your queries will be replied once we get the response from the relevant department. Your ticket reference is - 8111040.
KavindaS
Forum Admin

Postby squeakytown on Wed Jul 16, 2014 9:50 am

Hi,
I have not received any correspondence for ticket '8111040' so I will put my updates here.

I have gone ahead setup the new Email hosting and the domain emails are now being sent there correctly (step 3).
I have gained understanding that since the domain registration is already paid upto 2017-06-27 its best to leave it where it is for now.

So I assume I only need to get Domain Hosting from Exetel?
Will Domain Hosting at Exetel provide access to the MX and CNAME entries and allow the domain to be mapped to the free Exetel Web Site I have setup?
squeakytown

Postby shoner on Wed Jul 16, 2014 1:36 pm

squeakytown wrote:So I assume I only need to get Domain Hosting from Exetel?
Will Domain Hosting at Exetel provide access to the MX and CNAME entries and allow the domain to be mapped to the free Exetel Web Site I have setup?

You cannot redirect
surfclub.com
to
home.exetel.com.au/...surfclub

with Domain Hosting alone. You will also need paid web hosting service. In this case if your intention is to use the Exetel free web hosting service and save some cash then this will not work as you will still have to use paid web hosting services to make the redirect work.

To do a redirect from surfclub.com you would need to have web-hosting for that, which is generally not free, if that is the case why not host the website there in the first place?
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby squeakytown on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:20 pm

Hi, I had from my limited understanding from previous questions that the free website could replace web hosting.

Can you please advise what is provided by Exetels Domain Hosting and what control it provides.
Thanks
squeakytown

Postby shoner on Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:36 pm

squeakytown wrote:free website could replace web hosting.
Yes.
If your intention is to use home.exetel.com.au/...surfclub as the domain name and not surfclub.com

Since you want surfclub.com to redirect to home.exetel.com.au/...surfclub then the redirect file should be hosted on the paid web hosting for the direct to happen. You can place the web site files in the free hosting provided by us.
squeakytown wrote:Can you please advise what is provided by Exetels Domain Hosting and what control it provides.

With Exetels Domain Hosting you can control

cname
mx
ns
a
aaa
srv
txt
"Helping Making a Better World"

Log a fault ticket Here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal
shoner
Forum Admin

Postby squeakytown on Wed Jul 16, 2014 6:58 pm

Thanks.

How long does web and domain hosting take to provide once I order them from Exetel?
Our current hosters agreement experiment in 2weeks.
squeakytown

Postby ShaminG on Wed Jul 16, 2014 11:22 pm

How long does web and domain hosting take to provide once I order them from Exetel?
Our current hosters agreement experiment in 2weeks.

Once you put through the orders, both domain and email hosting will be ready for use (activation is automated and immediate). However, you need to update the domain registrar with correct NS records (to point at our domain hosting) and the domain hosting Zone file as per your requirements.
ShaminG
Exetel Staff

Postby CoreyPlover on Thu Jul 17, 2014 2:58 pm

Quick comment squeakytown (and other people who might be trying to accomplish something similar):

Depending on your needs, you can accomplish (half) what you want without additional costs by using a free service such as afraid.org. I know this is technical-speak, but what you do is take your existing Domain Hosting (whether that be through Exetel or whoever) and delegate the name server to afraid.org's name server. From there, the afraid.org website will allow you to create a user profile, link it to that domain name, and add all the URL aliases, etc that you want. One of those alias options is a transparent URL redirect, which simply redirects the domain name (surfclub.com) to a URL (home.exetel.com.au/...surfclub).

Unfortunately, the afraid.org site is quite scarce on details for this so you sort of need to know what you are doing, or speak to someone who does. And afraid.org doesn't do hosted email anyway - you would simply set up the afraid.org MX record to point back to Exetel for that. In general terms, injecting afraid.org as your nameserver like this only gives you cheap (i.e. free) URL redirection, which is a very useful feature that a lot of other domain hosts fail to provide.

What this means is that your hosting needs might become a bit fragmented. So depending on Exetel's costs for the full domain and web hosting service, you might prefer to continue down your current path anyway.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au
CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Return to Web space, mirror & blog services