Can't access web space

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs

Can't access web space

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 28, 2014 1:34 am

I have just uploaded WordPress to our free webspace but when I go to look at it at the address I am getting a '403 error' saying I don't have permission. Same error with the blog space.
maggie

Re: Can't access web space

Postby Kumudh on Sat Jun 28, 2014 3:57 am

I have just uploaded WordPress to our free webspace but when I go to look at it at the address I am getting a '403 error' saying I don't have permission. Same error with the blog space.
Hi Maggie,

I have forwarded your query to hosting team via ticket number 8061944 to be investigated.
Kumudh
Forum Admin

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 28, 2014 8:42 am

Thanks Kumudh
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:27 pm

While you wait for the hosting team, check your file permissions, starting with .htaccess (Note also the leading full stop - Windows doesn't like this Linux feature). The chmod command in your ftp client can change permissions.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Sat Jun 28, 2014 9:35 pm

Hi Dazzled, I'm using Linux Mint 64 on one computer and 32 bit on the other. But I'm not very familar with either Linux or installing web sites. But it all installed fine. I can see everything in the Filezilla. Just can't see it from the URL.
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Sat Jun 28, 2014 10:13 pm

maggie, with a Gnome system (or an imitation like Mate) you can just do a connect to server and use the file manager. No matter though, using the ftp client, chmod the .htaccess file. The Owner needs read and write permissions at least, but Other (the server) needs read access at least or nothing can happen. This applies for .htaccess generally.

The Wordpress site has other install directions.

PS- Here we go - http://codex.wordpress.org/Changing_Fil ... ermissions
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Thu Oct 16, 2014 1:08 pm

Hi all. I'm still persisting with this.... I cleared all the files and reinstalled WordPress again today to the website but when I run the installation it says there is already WordPress there. I get a #1045 error when I go to the PHPMyadmin to try to fix this also. I have 3 other websites and I have no trouble with the others but no love at all with this one at all. Would love to get this one up and running.
maggie

Postby Dazzled on Thu Oct 16, 2014 2:46 pm

Apache 403 is telling you that you don't have permission to see a file. Start the check with .htaccess and then the other things as mentioned in the link above. I don't know what you have in .htaccess, but not all options are recognised by this server.

It might help to see the full Apache response to the GET request without using a browser. In a terminal try (change URL as required):
curl -s -D - http://home.exetel.com.au/maggie -o /dev/null

If the worst comes to the worst you can analyse the request header and response for every file on the site with something like Dragonfly.

It's an ancient post but perhaps see also viewtopic.php?f=305&t=28899&p=221278&hi ... 79#p221278
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby James on Thu Oct 16, 2014 6:38 pm

The index file is not found under directory

I found there are two subdirectory under root directly

One called Allofus, the other one called instructionsforlife

So the link should be
http://home.exetel.com.au/familyfigueroa/Allofus
or
http://home.exetel.com.au/familyfiguero ... onsforlife

I can find index.php under these two subdirectory.
James
Exetel Staff

Postby Dazzled on Thu Oct 16, 2014 7:52 pm

Thanks James. Maggie, if you wish to enter your space at the root, you'll need an html file there, index.html, containing at the least a pair of <href="page"> links, each pointing to a following page.
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Postby maggie on Sun Nov 09, 2014 4:59 pm

No thanks. I just want everything wiped or deleted and to start all over with a brand new web space. I don't want to rescue this one. I think it will be quicker and less stressful to just start over from fresh. But thank you James and Dazzled for your help advice.
maggie

Postby maggie on Thu Nov 13, 2014 6:48 pm

Yay it's finally sorted! I got it all to work with your help and just wanted to thank every one here for their help and thank the techies off forum who helped as well. Phew. Now just have to sort my VPN email issue and all will be well. But the website is functioning perfectly. Thanks all!
maggie

Return to “%s” Web space, mirror & blog services