Errors uploading graphics to webspace

Web hosting, FTP/database access, mirror services and hosted blogs
ercatli

Errors uploading graphics to webspace

Post by ercatli » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:08 am

Hi,

I have two webspaces on Exetel - a paid webspace and the one that comes from with my ADSL/email. This question concerns the latter.

I use the free webspace mainly to trial things that I may later use on the paid space. And I am having a problem uploading graphics.

I have a Wordpress blog in the free space, and when I try to load up graphics using the Wordpress media upload, the file appears to upload, but generally I can't actually see it or use it. (In one case, I can see it, I don't know the difference.) I would think that this is a Wordpress issue, except that when I tried to load a test graphics file today (a 16 kb gif), I found it loaded two files of almost the same name, neither of which I could see, and also gave me this error message:
Internal Server Error

The server encountered an internal error or misconfiguration and was unable to complete your request.

Please contact the server administrator, hosting@exetel.com.au and inform them of the time the error occurred, and anything you might have done that may have caused the error.

More information about this error may be available in the server error log.

Apache Server at home.exetel.com.au Port 80
All this happened about 9:45 am today.

Amy help would be appreciated, thanks. Or should I send an email to support?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Errors uploading graphics to webspace

Post by Dazzled » Wed Sep 02, 2015 10:35 am

Can you upload the file using ftp transfer? If that works, look into Wordpress. Once the file is on the server its read permission will determine if it can be sent.

If it doesn't upload you will get a more useful error status for following up.

ercatli

Post by ercatli » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:14 pm

Hi, it just doesn't seem to be very simple to describe.

1. I can upload files by ftp, no worries. Sometimes I can see them in the media page, sometimes I cannot. But even when I can see them in the uploads folder, I cannot seem to insert them manually on the page - the page just shows a question mark.

2. The permissions vary, some are 604, some are 644, I don't know why the difference. One I uploaded by ftp was 604, the other 644. Ditto the ones I tried to upload via Wordpress - the names and permissions (again some 604, some 644) appear in the ftp window and the media page, but I can't see the picture or use it.

3. Most curiously, when I tried, twice, to upload a file balloon.gif (4 kb), and got the error message I showed before, each time it also loaded a 10b file named balloon-150x150.gif - neither of which I can use.

It certainly suggests a Wordpress problem, and I will follow that up on an appropriate forum, but the Apache error message suggests something may be wrong at Exetel.

Any further ideas?

angelos
Exetel Staff

Post by angelos » Wed Sep 02, 2015 5:27 pm

ercatli wrote:It certainly suggests a Wordpress problem, and I will follow that up on an appropriate forum, but the Apache error message suggests something may be wrong at Exetel.
Can you forward the error message to hosting@exetel.com.au quoting this forum link so we can get this checked further.

ercatli

Post by ercatli » Wed Sep 02, 2015 7:42 pm

OK, thanks. I have done that.