Where is "No Limit = Unlimited" defined?

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
terrox

Post by terrox » Fri Apr 23, 2010 11:26 am

We all have different interpretations of this and after all the other plan changes and people being disconnected - might need a page somewhere which lays out the rules.

Like this page https://www.exetel.com.au/form_include/ ... ms.php#tc1

Klaas

Re: Where is "No Limit = Unlimited" defined?

Post by Klaas » Fri Apr 23, 2010 12:27 pm

terrox wrote:Where is "No Limit = Unlimited" defined?

We all have different interpretations of this and after all the other plan changes and people being disconnected - might need a page somewhere which lays out the rules.

I must be missing something - "Unlimited" means "no limit" - a straightforward statement I would think? What other definition can there possibly be?

terrox

Post by terrox » Sun Apr 25, 2010 12:10 pm

So I can download 1000 gigabytes without a problem then.

David R

Post by David R » Sun Apr 25, 2010 3:16 pm

The highest residential plan is "90 gbytes" bandwidth, plus 45gbytes@512Kbps, =135GB;

that plan would be permitted 135GB in Off Peak/ & lesser plans 3x the average*...whichever is applicable

Exetel's maximum downloads thresholds, range thereby then-
"135"/"135"/=270GB/mo- to
"15"/"89"/=104GB on the cheapest plan

beyond which the ISP's terms would be administrated under 'Reasonable network management'; there the user is served a notice to choose either a higher plan or, alternative network provider for their requirements. While the greater of "95percent of subscribers" DO find sufficient those 'limits' ( 135- to 89 'GB') that they are not exceeding them, any Off Peak period provided may be deemed 'Unlimited'
*"No charge" download limit- i.e. for subscriptions less than 90 gbytes-prepaid,
April 2010 - 29.6GB (3 times limit = 89GB)
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

terrox

Post by terrox » Sun Apr 25, 2010 4:28 pm

I don't think those are the same as the "No Charge = Unlimited" plans.

David R

Post by David R » Sun Apr 25, 2010 5:08 pm

You may be right, only guidelines exist at this stage. Just to say if one required >312GB (i.e. 104GB x3months) per-quarter usage?...
"15"/"89"/=104GB on the cheapest plan
they might reasonably upgrade "from 15 gigabytes" at the lower end.
*Vista Ultimate* Billion,7402GL &TP-Link,D-W8920G <Atten(dB)42 @1.9 km>; HTC Kaiser II, WM6; Pre-paid RP2000 (Optus)
200GB@3.1Mbps,$60pm Zone 1+ 2X H-Line Budget; WP Saver VoIP._ 220.233.165.22x; $3,450 revenue: 5 years club.

gong_guy

Post by gong_guy » Sun Apr 25, 2010 7:48 pm

terrox wrote:Where is "No Limit = Unlimited" defined?

I am lucky to download 25GB a month offpeak but I think Exetel needs a fully defined "fair use policy" like TPG. The topic is going crazy at Whirlpool.

TPG send you a warning email on "excessive use" and and if no change in behaviour results throttling or suspension. They also have a three strikes policy then termination.

My view on unlimited is that it does not mean 24x7 downloading.

Peleus

Post by Peleus » Tue Apr 27, 2010 3:00 pm

My view on unlimited is that it does not mean 24x7 downloading.
And this is where the problem begins (not you specifically)

Everyone has different interpretations of what is and isn't reasonable, and what is and isn't unlimited.

You've got the people who take it literally, who say there is no download limit on the account, and you can download as much as your connection is capable of if you wish to do so.

You've got the "reasonable use" people, who say there is no limit, apart from what is reasonable. This massive grey area causes much headaches, because some people find 100gb reasonable, other's find 150gb reasonable, others 200gb.... etc, all of a sudden you're in trouble because your "reasonable" doesn't fit what is "reasonable" in someone else's mind.

This combined with "be reasonable and remember we have the power to disconnect you whenever we wish" leads into an incredible vague and frustrating customer experience. No one cares if there are limits on plans, we all just wish to know what they are, so Exetel can remain viable, we can continue to use their services, and Exetel can continue to make a small profit from each of us, everyone wins.

ForumAdmin
Exetel Staff

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Apr 27, 2010 5:08 pm

1) Read the contract you enter into before entering in to it and remind yourself that only the terms of the contract have any validity.

2) As "unlimited" seemed to be such a problem for a few people we actually expressed it as unlimited = no limit

3) Other than the occasional error caused by a person changing to a new contract period Exetel have never and don't intend to ever "terminate" a contract before its end date other than the situations described in the contract.

This, and any other subsequently opened thread like it is now closed.

If you need to have a pointless and juvenile discussion over semantics then please go somewhere else.

If you actually believe that Exetel is somehow dishonest then surely Exetel is not a sensible service provider for you to use?

Thread closed.