New User Passwords

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
MCCMikey

Re: New User Passwords

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:31 am

Had my first call just before midnight tonight from someone who has changed their user password and now modem can't log on. Fixed via SMS :)

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Tue Aug 03, 2010 9:30 am

I am still really concerned about all this changing of modem password. Although my service is still working should it stop working I will also lose my phone as I am on a voip phone and then I won't be able to get help from anyone with out my internet connection. Has anyone any advice on how to fix this should this happen? Is it possible that when I changed my password with exetel it automaticly changed it on my modem. I am using a NB9 netcomm modem.
lornarod

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:20 am

lornarod wrote:Is it possible that when I changed my password with exetel it automaticly changed it on my modem.
Not possible whatsoever.

If your ADSL password gets changed, you will need to change it on you modem yourself via the "Basic > Quick Setup page, then "Save and Reboot" button
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:30 am

Thanks for that answer. But this is where I have a problem. When I go to my modem and get up basic and click on that quick setup does not come up on my computer. So basicly this leaves me up a creek without a paddle.
lornarod

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 03, 2010 10:38 am

http://emulators.netcomm.com.au/NB9W/19 ... /index.htm is a NB9 emulator that you can see how the screens should look and appear. Can you describe the difference to what you are experiencing? Does the center frame simply remain white? Have you tried an alternate browser?
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:07 am

The pages look exactly the same until I click on basic. When I click on basic adsl quick setup does not appear it just stays exactly as when first openned. I have tried internet explorer firefox and also a cd which came with my modem and on none of them does adsl quick set up come up. From reading my manual I think the only way to do it is by returning to factory setting which I don't want to do as I may not be able to set it up again as I had a computer expert do it for me last time which cost a lot of money. I also am not sure if adsl quick setup will come up anyway.
lornarod

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 03, 2010 11:29 am

You could try Advanced > WAN > Edit but I'm not sure if the username / password can be found in that section.

You can also try Management > Device Settings > Backup > Backup Settings and backup the settings to a file on your computer. Then factory reset, and then restore the settings by going through Management > Device Settings > Update. That might kick the Quick Start into working and will mean that you don't lose the configuration settings.

LordS

Post by LordS » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:29 pm

CoreyPlover wrote:
lornarod wrote:Is it possible that when I changed my password with exetel it automaticly changed it on my modem.
Not possible whatsoever.

If your ADSL password gets changed, you will need to change it on you modem yourself via the "Basic > Quick Setup page, then "Save and Reboot" button
I beg to differ

http://www.carricksolutions.com/TR-069/

My modem has that built in, if Exetel sent out the modems preconfigured for TR-069 everything could be managed from their end (ie change password and its pushed to the modem)

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:55 pm

But Exetel, unlike Verizon in the US, don't ever change modem passwords remotely (they use to tunnel in via remote administration and set up VoIP for you, but I don't think they even do that anymore).

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Tue Aug 03, 2010 12:59 pm

Local Dynalinks are TR-069 capable, but it's disabled by default. You need to name an active server.

This current problem would be best addressed by a system that changes user facility passwords only. At least the 3 days has been stretched out.

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Tue Aug 03, 2010 3:14 pm

Regarding the above topic. I may have a breakthrough. A friend and I were looking on my exetel home page when we saw modem user name etc@ nsw.exetel.com.au. I clicked on that. Up came my user name and underneath old password then new password and then confirm password. I typed in my old password and new password then hit submit. Rejected old password as wrong. I tried again using new password I had changed with exetel last Saturday and then put in a new password. It worked. I have NB9 modem and when I changed my password to my home page it was automaticly changed on Modem. I still have internet and everything is working so maybe this will solve the problem and help others.
lornarod

sable

Post by sable » Thu Aug 05, 2010 10:14 am

Just had my first support call, customer in desperation, cannot connect.

He received the change password email, did that in his member facilities, did not read or understand the implication, got failed login page!

Just spent 20 minutes talking him through the methodology, first attempt he made typo, all ok now.

What is happening re this issue?

Is the password page going to be adjusted?

or what?

Exetel, your silence on this issue is most concerning.

I have another customer who requested I change the password on his behalf whose 3 days expired on Sunday. I have not made the change yet.

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:24 am

While it might be a bit late for you, it seems to be possible to access customer's PCs and modems even when they're on a blocked page IP. My PCHelpWare thing worked fine. http://www.uvnc.com/pchelpware/index.html - made changing passwords easy :) . I think Exetel hosted accounts are viewable as well, so you could host it there, or via your own service.

For modems that support it, you can probably get to the admin interface remotely, provided you can work out what their IP is.

One problem I did encounter. Once the password was set correctly on one modem, it could no longer connect at all. (No Auth, no failed login, etc.) I had to also change from PPPoA to PPPoE to get it to go again, after waiting 24 hours. It was previously working on PPPoA, so you may need to alternate this setting in some instances.

So far I've only had two requests for help out of about 100 customers, but not sure how many originals I have left that would have the insecure user facilities passwords.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:50 am

I wish it was that easy. I've got some aging very non-tech users scattered about on secured Linux boxes, and there's no way to get in remotely. They can't open up the modem, let alone the OS. I've asked them to do nothing about the email for the time being.

sable

Post by sable » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:23 pm

The number of users affected depends on Exetel's definition of "weak" password"

My observation so far is that there may not be too many.

My two so far were both provided with a manual generic password to use before their member's facility was created after a successful churn.
Last edited by sable on Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.