New User Passwords

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New User Passwords

Post by Dazzled » Thu Aug 05, 2010 12:46 pm

Sable, the email requires 8 chars min with an upper/lower/special mix. The default passwords from the early days fail that test. So do new ones without the mixed in chars.

Once upon a time if you cracked or knew a user facility password, you could do little but read mostly unimportant stuff. Now, though, you can spend other people's money, so I understand Exetel's viewpoint. The trouble is the linking to the modem. People brought up with computers don't realise how many modems have to be managed by others.

sable

Post by sable » Thu Aug 05, 2010 1:26 pm

Yes I have seen the email.

I have not received one yet.

Has it been sent to all customers with the "standard" password of 10digit phone no and first 2 letters of street in upper dase?

sable

Post by sable » Thu Aug 05, 2010 3:09 pm

Not posting this for any kudos to me.

Just received this email ;
Thanks for your guidance this morning. I need help when Exetel do things like that. Sometimes I believe they could give the instructions in plain English & not assume everyone understands!

For example to be told to make the change in the modem BUT NOT HOW TO can be frustrating at times. That's why I need people like you!

Thanks again

Graham
Exetel please take note.

lornarod

Post by lornarod » Sat Aug 07, 2010 10:36 am

Hi, Well I finally lost my internet connection. I am using Netcomm NB9. I was able to log into it with out the internet. I had to return my modem to factory settings which then bought up adsl quick setup. I logged on my user name - 02etc.@nsw.exetel.com.au. Then my new password. I then had the internet. I then had to re do my Voip set up again. Everything is now working. I hope this helps others. By the way I used internet explorer logged on right at the top of the page to my modem when I didn't have the intwernet.
lornarod

sable

Post by sable » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:23 pm

Customer who is waiting for clarification and has not changed password received the email below yesterday.

-----Original Message-----
From: Exemail Admin Technical Help Team [mailto:mmi@tri-lakes.net]
Sent: Saturday, 28 August 2010 3:19 AM
To: info@exemail.com.au
Subject: PROTECT YOUR EXEMAIL FROM CLOSURE

Dear exemail Email Account User,

We wrote to you before now advising that you change the password on your account in order to prevent any unauthorized account access following the network instruction we previously Communicated.

All Mail exemail systems will undergo regularly scheduled maintenance.
Access to your e-mail via the Web mail client will be unavailable for 48hrs, during this maintenance period. We are currently upgrading our database and e-mail account center i.e. homepage view, enhance security.

We shall be deleting old [ exemail] email accounts which are no more active, to create more space for new accounts users. We have also investigated a system wide security audit to improve and enhance our current security.

In order to continue using our services you require updating and re-confirmed your email account details as requested below.
To complete your account re-confirmation, you must reply to this email immediately and enter your account details as requested below.

Exemail Account Username: (**************) Exemail Account Password: (**************)

Failure to do this will immediately render your account deactivated from our database and service will not be interrupted as important messages may as well be lost due to your declining to re-confirmed to us your account details.

We apologize for the inconvenience that this will cause you during this period, but trusting that we are here to serve you better and providing more technology which revolves around Secured Email.

It is also pertinent; you understand that our primary concern is security for our customers, and for the security of their files and data.
COMFIRMATION CODE: exemail Admin/93-1A388-480

Please do respond back via our correspondent email at web.protection@live.com

Exemail Admin Technical Help Team

Regards

Exemail Technical Support/Maintenance Team ITSR.

.........................................................................................

Can the user facilities password be separated from the modem password for those who do not want to change their modem passwords please?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Aug 29, 2010 5:45 pm

sable wrote:Customer who is waiting for clarification and has not changed password received the email below yesterday. ...
This is not a legitimate email and it should be deleted without any action being taken. If the customer responds to it, his email account will be compromised and used for sending out spam emails - which will result in Exetel blocking his email account.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

sable

Post by sable » Sun Aug 29, 2010 6:25 pm

Gidget

I have aready advised the customer the email is a hoax.

Not sure why he got the email when he also got the change password email.

Is it possible that list has been compromised?

Has anyone else recived this email? I have not but I did not get the change password email either.

I request again can the members login password be separated from the modem password for those people affected please?

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Aug 30, 2010 2:06 am

sable wrote:Not sure why he got the email when he also got the change password email.
Is it possible that list has been compromised?
Not likely. More likely it is just coincidental. Phishers like this simply mass mail out to *@exemail.com.au and hopefull get a small percentage of hits.
sable wrote:I request again can the members login password be separated from the modem password for those people affected please?
This won't help discourage, or protect against phishers. The *@exemail.com.au mass mail out has just as much chance of guessing an email username, and any phishing attempts will try to trick users into providing their Member Facilities username and password. Once these are compromised, the phisher can use the member facilities to authorise outgoing SMS / Fax, or change the ADSL modem password at will and take over the connection. So even if passwords are separated, it serves as no deterrent whatsoever.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au