New Exetel Website

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
raymond
Exetel Staff

New Exetel Website

Post by raymond » Wed Feb 13, 2013 11:21 pm

Exetel is about to release a new website.

To preview the new Exetel website, please follow below link:
http://www.exetel.com.au/new_test_site/

For suggestions, please email to webmaster@exetel.com.au

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: New Exetel Website

Post by CoreyPlover » Fri Feb 15, 2013 1:34 pm

In general, I think the individual page designs are very polished: highly readable and nice use of tables.

Two gripes:
  • When clicking on the "unmetered" hyperlink in a "Choose plan" box of the Residential ADSL2 pages, it opens a new window with the Acceptable Use Policy. This is a little frustrating because clicking the hyperlink appears exactly the same as anywhere else in that box (clickable mouse icon, no <A> hovers, etc) but ends up performing a different action and forcing focus to a completely new tab. I would suggest moving the Acceptable Use hyper link to just above or beneath the "Order" button and perhaps hiding it if the plan being selected makes it irrelevant.
  • The use of a grid matrix (residential / small business / corporate and data/voice/other on the home page is quite brilliant, but there is something about the usability and appearance of the right panel that I *really* don't like, though it is a little difficult to pinpoint exactly why. Usually, for these "hover mouse on item and have more information appear" the extra information appears nearby and the mouse can move into that area to select something (like menu -> sub-menu navigation). Here, you have very fine movements of the mouse on the left changing the highlighting of an item on the right and it is reminiscent of cross browser javascript menus that don't render correctly on some browsers and end up moving the floating submenu div to the wrong place...overall, this mechanism just seems "broken" in some way even though it is actually by design. I would suggest that instead of using the right panel to show a whole group's information which is then bulleted into sub-items that have their highlighting changed, that you give each individual sub-item its own dedicated large graphic and blurb on the right and changing the hover on the left simply changes the whole right panel to this new item. This would make it more like, say, the Age features stories in the top left of their website (hover of a thumbnail and see the bigger blurb appearing elsewhere)
PS: There is also sometimes when you lose the advertising panes from the right side because you've hovered on a left item for a small length of time. When you move off, the advertisements don't correctly reappear in the right panel until the next pane transitions in.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:16 pm

You might want to check the details on the Premium HSPA plans. Its showing the data rate as 2c per MB, but the signup page says 5c.
Its a significant difference (mind you 2c would be great, but I don't think thats what Exetel offers on these plans nowadays).

tin

Post by tin » Fri Feb 15, 2013 8:22 pm

Just noticed the new site... Looks pretty good.

My comments (just on the home page itself at this stage):
  • White background looks, well, wrong. I suspect the white text in the coloured squares is why I'm thinking that, but I really don't know. Just looks like it needs something to fill the void I guess.
  • The lists in the squares shuffle to the right when hovered over. I find this just a little odd. If this is intentional, why?
  • The popup info about the connection types is nice, except because it looks like a menu of some sort, which lead me to want to mouse over it. Turns out it's not a meny and the ads reappear instead :mrgreen:
  • The "small print" grey background section at the bottom is far too big. It's almost as big as the front page content is... And on the front page, about half of it is exactly the same as the main front page section's links.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

thusithaK
Exetel Staff

Post by thusithaK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:39 pm

Currently we are in the process of making it more usable. your comments really help, Thank you!
  • Yes, totally agreed, we will move the green hyperlink outside the box as it will be annoying if someone just wants to select his/her desired plan
  • We are experimenting on this one as most people had commented that its not clear, cluttered and everybody assumed that its another "sub menu" which is appearing on left, so we made few changes and now its very clean and non confusing, please have a another try and let us know how it was.
We will be improving, Thank you!

____________________________________________________________________________________________________________
CoreyPlover wrote:In general, I think the individual page designs are very polished: highly readable and nice use of tables.

Two gripes:
  • When clicking on the "unmetered" hyperlink in a "Choose plan" box of the Residential ADSL2 pages, it opens a new window with the Acceptable Use Policy. This is a little frustrating because clicking the hyperlink appears exactly the same as anywhere else in that box (clickable mouse icon, no <A> hovers, etc) but ends up performing a different action and forcing focus to a completely new tab. I would suggest moving the Acceptable Use hyper link to just above or beneath the "Order" button and perhaps hiding it if the plan being selected makes it irrelevant.
  • The use of a grid matrix (residential / small business / corporate and data/voice/other on the home page is quite brilliant, but there is something about the usability and appearance of the right panel that I *really* don't like, though it is a little difficult to pinpoint exactly why. Usually, for these "hover mouse on item and have more information appear" the extra information appears nearby and the mouse can move into that area to select something (like menu -> sub-menu navigation). Here, you have very fine movements of the mouse on the left changing the highlighting of an item on the right and it is reminiscent of cross browser javascript menus that don't render correctly on some browsers and end up moving the floating submenu div to the wrong place...overall, this mechanism just seems "broken" in some way even though it is actually by design. I would suggest that instead of using the right panel to show a whole group's information which is then bulleted into sub-items that have their highlighting changed, that you give each individual sub-item its own dedicated large graphic and blurb on the right and changing the hover on the left simply changes the whole right panel to this new item. This would make it more like, say, the Age features stories in the top left of their website (hover of a thumbnail and see the bigger blurb appearing elsewhere)
PS: There is also sometimes when you lose the advertising panes from the right side because you've hovered on a left item for a small length of time. When you move off, the advertisements don't correctly reappear in the right panel until the next pane transitions in.

thusithaK
Exetel Staff

Post by thusithaK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 10:41 pm

zaxapod wrote:You might want to check the details on the Premium HSPA plans. Its showing the data rate as 2c per MB, but the signup page says 5c.
Its a significant difference (mind you 2c would be great, but I don't think thats what Exetel offers on these plans nowadays).

Yeap, that should be $0.05 now its been fixed,
Thank you!

thusithaK
Exetel Staff

Post by thusithaK » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:07 pm

• We are going for clean and simple design, needed to give more attention to the center of the page
  • Yes, that was intentional, to add a flavor of animation. imagine something like a simple hover transition - overdone :)
  • Yes, this was indeed a common misunderstanding, got a lot of negative comments on navigation, so we changed it to be less complicated and informative instead, its online, please give it a try again
  • mega footers are a new trend as its filled with information, we are trying new things for a change.
Thank you for these valuable comments,
Cheers!
_________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________
tin wrote:Just noticed the new site... Looks pretty good.

My comments (just on the home page itself at this stage):
  • White background looks, well, wrong. I suspect the white text in the coloured squares is why I'm thinking that, but I really don't know. Just looks like it needs something to fill the void I guess.
  • The lists in the squares shuffle to the right when hovered over. I find this just a little odd. If this is intentional, why?
  • The popup info about the connection types is nice, except because it looks like a menu of some sort, which lead me to want to mouse over it. Turns out it's not a meny and the ads reappear instead :mrgreen:
  • The "small print" grey background section at the bottom is far too big. It's almost as big as the front page content is... And on the front page, about half of it is exactly the same as the main front page section's links.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Feb 18, 2013 11:25 pm

thusithaK wrote:We are experimenting on this one as most people had commented that its not clear, cluttered and everybody assumed that its another "sub menu" which is appearing on left, so we made few changes and now its very clean and non confusing, please have a another try and let us know how it was.
Much better. Perhaps now a little colour on the area to the right when you hover on the sub-items would not go unnoticed. Take something like the background of the yellow BYO 3G ad, wash it with the green, blue or grey colours to match the selected sub-menu and use this as a background image to the 'product_description_container' container in place of the current flat #f2f2f2 background.

Even better would be the use of some foreground images inside that container, or a background image with some element that can effectively fills in the empty space in the lower half of these 'product_description_container' blurbs.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Thu Mar 28, 2013 7:01 am

My one piece of feedback? it has to do with http://www.exetel.com.au/

When mousing over the links for the Corporate stuff it displays the details in the right frame/box using gray font on a white background. I can't help but find this really hard to read.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem