New website glitches

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
James
Exetel Staff

Re: New website glitches

Post by James » Fri Feb 14, 2014 3:06 pm

Dazzled wrote:James, when I strip away the green overlay........
How do you lot keep your desktops so pristine?
Me personally? My desktop is a mess!

Mixer

Post by Mixer » Sat Feb 15, 2014 2:38 pm

Dazzled wrote:I knew a new layout was coming, but oh dear!

Unprofessional. Why fill the page with rubbish banners like "Awesome"?

…. We don't all have teenage eyesight.
I'll second that emotion…. Looks like someone from an advertising agency has had a go.
Yes I know I can use the old site, but how long will parallel universes be tolerated ?
RAND-NF/20INCTEL-Draytek 2710vn

flabdablet

Post by flabdablet » Sun Feb 16, 2014 4:20 am

Mixer wrote:
Dazzled wrote:I knew a new layout was coming, but oh dear!

Unprofessional. Why fill the page with rubbish banners like "Awesome"?

…. We don't all have teenage eyesight.
I'll second that emotion…. Looks like someone from an advertising agency has had a go.
Yes I know I can use the old site, but how long will parallel universes be tolerated ?
Thirded.

Exetel used to stand out among ISPs for its straightforward and businesslike attitude, as exemplified by a website that was clearly the product of many years of stepwise refinement.

It has now chosen to toss that out and replace it with a barely-functional piece of crap that looks just like all the other Metro-tainted garbage piling up in today's IT industry. Instead of a website I can use, I get a usage meter that doesn't work, member facilities I can't log on to and self-signed SSL certs for staging servers I should obviously never be seeing, all hiding behind a non-scalable front page that looks like it was thrown together by the head of HR's nephew.

Don't tell me you're not going to waste my time when you are wasting my time.

Exetel. Lose The Slogans.

Ziege Mitfahrer

Post by Ziege Mitfahrer » Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:22 pm

CLoSeR wrote:I worked out how to get rid of the giant green text box.
OK, CLoSeR, I give up. How'd ya do that?

I had to laugh.
My 15 year old childerbeast asked me if Exetel needed him to help design the website.
I said yes.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 17, 2014 7:21 am

Any element of a website can usually be altered or eliminated using either User Javascript or CSS (cascading style sheet). The green box for the time being obscures rotating images of staff at work (with clean desks!) and some scenery . The CSS setting of #punchline to display: none will do what you want.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:01 am

In my opinion, the new website is not *entirely* bad.

I like the layout of information in the plan pages, etc. It highlights the limited number of plans, with optional addons. This is very simple to navigate and a welcome relief from Exetel's historical mix of a large number of Optus/Telstra/Powertel plans.

However, there are many things I dislike about it:

I dislike the boxy feeling of it for two reasons: 1. The boxes don't line up in any natural way and move around in all sorts of weird ways when scaling the pages (i.e. on the "deals" page the navigation is anchored to top right, the deals to right middle and the footer to right bottom. The footer on many pages is not anchored cleanly to the bottom of the screen, etc) . 2. The text in the boxes seem to be way too oversized

I dislike the unprofessionalism of it (references to "awesome", "BS", etc, cheesy photos and profiles of staff). There are also at least 2 corrupt backgrounds / wallpaper image in there - VERY unprofessional when you get a garbled JPG wallpaper full of bright green and magenta static noise.

there are also broken links: When on the "deals" page, the Residential and Business links don't go anywhere. Your customers are not your beta testers. All bugs like this, and display issues on different resolutions and browsers should be completely ironed out BEFORE a site goes live.

I dislike the completely unnecessary bloat (these useless wallpapers bloat the site out to 6MB in size! No wonder the site is struggling with the load - page load times are between 30 and 60 seconds for me and many just time out.

I dislike the new user facilities, but the website loads so slowly that I can't really give detailed feedback.

It truly seems that website developers (or the management that direct them?) live in their own little worlds nowadays. First Slashdot Beta, now Exetel.
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

IanS

Post by IanS » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:24 am

CoreyPlover wrote: I like the layout of information in the plan pages, etc. It highlights the limited number of plans, with optional addons. This is very simple to navigate and a welcome relief from Exetel's historical mix of a large number of Optus/Telstra/Powertel plans.
I disagree, I & several friends & family are on Powertel plans, because we have Telstra FaxDuet services, which are not offered by Optus. Now we can't even see what is on offer for Powertel or Telstra, even our user facilities are trying to shove Optus plans down our throats. I suppose I'll have to annoy sales every month to keep abreast of "other" new plans. James, you once replied to one of my previous posts, stating "All plans would be displayed in the user facilities" - how about you stick to your word!
CoreyPlover wrote:Your customers are not your beta testers. All bugs like this, and display issues on different resolutions and browsers should be completely ironed out BEFORE a site goes live.
I whole heartedly agree. By all means place links in the forum to the "new" website & give users the opportunity to view it & respond with feedback (both positive & negative) then finetune the site BEFORE making a barely functional site live - NOT VERY PROFESSIONAL for a 10 year old company!

IanS

Mementh

Post by Mementh » Mon Feb 17, 2014 11:29 am

The look of the new site is nice. But.... Its slower than a snail or doesnt even load.

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Mementh wrote:The look of the new site is nice. But.... Its slower than a snail or doesnt even load.
I think this is a combination of two things:
1. The site is hugely bloated with wallpaper images of staff (I benchmarked a single page load at 6MB and I think it is prefetching many of the wallpaper images)
2. I suspect a large number of Exetel users are accessing the site because of the email that was recently sent out.

In essence, Exetel have created a self-imposed Denial-Of-Service attack...
I am a volunteer moderator and not an Exetel staff member. As with all forum posts, mine do not constitute any "official" Exetel position. Support tickets may be logged via https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au or residentialsupport@exetel.com.au

thejeg

Post by thejeg » Mon Feb 17, 2014 12:18 pm

Dear All,

Through out the past week, we've been working on the issues / Glitches you have raised and the following has been fixed.

1. Usage meter is fixed.
2. ADSL Plan and Telephone information are fixed.
3. Mobile activation is fixed.
4. Contact information update is fixed.
5. Usage interim billing is fixed.
6. Failed payment is fixed.

We are working on the option where customers can purchase additional usage which will be completed by Close of Business - today.

Thank You all for your patience and for your continued support!

Kind Regards,
Tj

JamesR

Post by JamesR » Mon Feb 17, 2014 1:04 pm

Why must the Members Facility be so slow to use? When clicking on any link or simply logging in, it takes more than a minute to load the page.

I'm all for a redesigned members facilities, but why must you remove key things - I can't even find out my Fax Over IP details anywhere?!

It used to be within two clicks...
Regards,

JamesR
Customer since 2005

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:04 pm

Ziege Mitfahrer wrote:
CLoSeR wrote:I worked out how to get rid of the giant green text box.
OK, CLoSeR, I give up. How'd ya do that?

I had to laugh.
My 15 year old childerbeast asked me if Exetel needed him to help design the website.
I said yes.

Ok found the answer for getting rid of the green box.

Click "About Us" link on the left hand side, then there is an X in the top right corner saying "I just want to see staff photos" or something along these lines.

Also want to ask why it's sooooo slow. "Redirecting to Members Facility..." seems to be about a 30 second wait.. then click any menus and there is a similar wait for the next page to load.

It's funny how with all the problems experienced with this site, they went ahead and proudly announced the new website today. Poor timing.. and now all your customers are beta testing the site reporting faults which should have been picked up with internal functional test requirements.
Last edited by CLoSeR on Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

CLoSeR

Post by CLoSeR » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:29 pm

Another problem:

Attempting to make a plan change for a Mobile Broadband Service:

- Clicked Services & Usage menu option
- Clicked Change button
- Clicked Change Plan tab
- List of 3 Available Plans appear, not able to select any plan.. none are links or buttons.
- At the bottom of the page is a Confirm button, god knows which plan is selected by default. Scared to click it.

Is this a random plan change option? I'll be requesting the plan change in the old member facilities if possible.

Edit: Unable to login to old member facilities, keeps telling me the mobile login is invalid. Please fix the member facilities so I can make a plan change before month end!
Need to log a fault ticket? Go here: https://helpdesk.exetel.com.au/

James
Exetel Staff

Post by James » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:37 pm

JamesR wrote:Why must the Members Facility be so slow to use? When clicking on any link or simply logging in, it takes more than a minute to load the page.

I'm all for a redesigned members facilities, but why must you remove key things - I can't even find out my Fax Over IP details anywhere?!

It used to be within two clicks...
The site has ten times hte normal volume.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:40 pm

User CSS deals easily with the green box and the awesome page banners.

I'd rather not see the background scene that dwells lovingly on a hideous graffiti vandalised wall.

I finally was able to log into the user facility with Firefox on Linux. It took well over a minute. I haven't been able to get into any of the subsequent pages. Either we have CoreyPlover's self denial of service (as per James), or there is a bug.