cant scroll pages on touch devices (or desktop)

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
Mort

cant scroll pages on touch devices (or desktop)

Post by Mort » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:13 am

Greetings,

I'm trying to browse the mobile plans page (for example) using both my phone and tablet and I can't scroll the page up at all. On my phone if I set it to "mobile mode" for the browser it seems to detect and give a mobile friendly version of the page that I can scroll using touch, but if I use "desktop mode" then neither phone or tablet can scroll the page up at all.

I've also noticed if I open it on a desktop in IE or Firefox there is no scroll elevator on the side so I can't scroll that way if I don't have a scroll wheel or touchpad scrolling action setup.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: cant scroll pages on touch devices (or desktop)

Post by Dazzled » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:04 am

It isn't surprising. There are devices that can't handle this site.

Desktop browsers (eg Firefox) do have scrolling, but the coder made the bar invisible! Most problems relate to javascript, so experiment with it off. Some pages when converted to text will provide the information.

Mort

Post by Mort » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:42 am

You can't turn java off on most tablets or mobiles, and while I'm sure that is where the problem lies, I believe the onus is on the web developer to create a site that works, not on the users to have to adjust or turn common standard settings on and off just to suit each particular site.

And while I'm here, the drop down menus are also "non sticky" so on touch devices they appear and disappear before you can select anything.
As we know, there are known knowns. There are things we know we know. We also know there are known unknowns. That is to say we know there are some things we do not know. But there are also unknown unknowns, the ones we don't know we don't know.

lasithah
Exetel Staff

Post by lasithah » Sun Sep 21, 2014 2:34 pm

Mort wrote:You can't turn java off on most tablets or mobiles, and while I'm sure that is where the problem lies, I believe the onus is on the web developer to create a site that works, not on the users to have to adjust or turn common standard settings on and off just to suit each particular site.

And while I'm here, the drop down menus are also "non sticky" so on touch devices they appear and disappear before you can select anything.
Hi Mort,

This has been escalated to the development team and they will address this.

:)