The new website is terribly confusing

Queries, errors or glitches regarding Exetel's public web site
Franpa

The new website is terribly confusing

Post by Franpa » Wed Aug 12, 2015 11:25 pm

If you're looking to order the internet from Extel and rent the phone line via Exetel, than http://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/adsl does a poor job of conveying the monthly costs.

1) The items in Step 1 can easily give the impression that the Phone Line Rental cost is included in the displayed price. For example: $58 1TB plan with Phone Line Rental, is the Phone Line Rental included in that $58 price? Who knows!? Either remove the "With Home Phone Line" bit underneath the listed plans or include an Astrix next to it, with another Astrix appearing in Step 2's 1st option to better indicate it is an "extra" fee.

2) Step 2 mentions $25 for phone line rental, but it doesn't mention that this $25 is in addition to the selected broadband price listed in Step 1. You can (currently) still easily confuse this as being included in the price listed in Step 1.

3) The "Order Summary" does not mention the price of the Broadband package selected. This is a pretty big issue, especially when combined with my 4th issue below.

4) The "Your total $## Per Month" below Order Summary does not include the cost of phone line rental or any chosen Add-Ons. This fuels the whole Phone Line Rental being included in the price displayed in Step 1 issue.

5) This is a minor issue if the other things are resolved, choosing to not rent the phone line from Exetel results in the prices listed in Step 1 increasing, with no explanation of why.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

Mandy
Exetel Staff

Re: The new website is terribly confusing

Post by Mandy » Thu Aug 13, 2015 12:04 pm

Hi Franpa,

We will be in touch with you shortly to discuss this further.

Regards
Mandy

Franpa

Post by Franpa » Fri Aug 14, 2015 2:33 pm

Okay, some new feedback this time and you don't need to contact me by phone about it. I'd rather discuss it here, via the forum.

To get the basics out of the way: It seems Exetel has 2 "sets" of plans, but only offers one set of plans to the customer at http://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/adsl at any one time. If you are in an area serviced by Exetel's supplier you get cheap plans, if you are in an area that is not serviced by Exetel's supplier you get expensive plans to choose from. The plans displayed, are determined by the phone number you enter in to the phone line checker interface at the top of the page.

Problems:
1) The potentially wrong plans for the customers area are displayed by default, before performing the phone line check. (This can't really be solved, but it's worth mentioning anyways)

2) Step 1 does not indicate that the plans displayed may not be available in the customers area, nor does it direct them to perform the phone line check at the top of the page to verify the availability of the displayed plans. It also fails to mention that alternative plans may be available for your area if the displayed plans are determined to be unavailable via the Phone Line Checker.

3) The Phone Line Checker, when used, does not indicate that the displayed plans have changed if they've changed as a result of using the Phone Line Checker. Customers may see the prices change and be confused as to why they changed in price.

4) Nothing indicates on the page that there are 2 sets of ADSL plans, all a customer sees is one set of plans. The other set does not exist as it isn't mentioned anywhere so it is impossible for the customers to be aware of there being different plans to what they saw when they first visited the page and may continue to be unaware when the plans changed after using the Phone Line Checker.

5) The plans provided by both suppliers use the same name on the webpage. Both 1TB plans look exactly the same other than the price, for example. Nothing but the price distinguishes the 2 plans apart from each other (Disregarding fine print that few tend to read). The supplier isn't indicated nor is there a change of name, so people can feel like their being unjustly discriminated against for one reason or another.

6) Again, the web page does not separate the cost of the ADSL package from the cost of the Phone Line Rental. This I would really like to see happen, even if it seems like a pointless detail to have access to. This would make it significantly easier to determine if the phone line rental is included in the price listed in Step 1. Heck, don't include the phone line rental in the price listed in Step 1, instead only show the ADSL cost. Phone Line Rental cost is already displayed in Step 2 & the Order Summary and combined with the ADSL cost in the Total Cost under the Order Summary.

7) Again, having the ADSL price listed separately to the Phone Line Rental Cost in the Order Summary would make it easier to comprehend what the package entails. Telling me in the Order Summary that it is ADSL2+ after I've specifically chosen to look at ADSL2+ plans, doesn't help me determine anything. You could instead change the "Choose the ADSL Plan you want" to the left of the Order Summary, to "Choose the ADSL2+ Plan you want".

Image Image
First set of Plans ----- Second set of Plans
Last edited by Franpa on Fri Aug 14, 2015 5:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Windows 10 Pro x64 | Intel i7 920 @ 3.6GHz | ASUS P6T Motherboard | 24GB DDR3 1520MHz RAM | MSI Gamer 1070Ti 8GB | Integrated Sound Card | Corsair AX760 Platinum Power Supply | Exetel ZTE H268 Modem

remosha
Exetel Staff

Post by remosha » Fri Aug 14, 2015 4:22 pm

Franpa wrote:Okay, some new feedback this time and you don't need to contact me by phone about it. I'd rather discuss it here, via the forum.

To get the basics out of the way: It seems Exetel has 2 "sets" of plans, but only offers one set of plans to the customer at http://www.exetel.com.au/broadband/adsl at any one time. If you are in an area serviced by Exetel's supplier you get cheap plans, if you are in an area that is not serviced by Exetel's supplier you get expensive plans to choose from. The plans displayed, are determined by the phone number you enter in to the phone line checker interface at the top of the page.

Problems:
1) The potentially wrong plans for the customers area are displayed by default, before performing the phone line check. (This can't really be solved, but it's worth mentioning anyways)

2) Step 1 does not indicate that the plans displayed may not be available in the customers area, nor does it direct them to perform the phone line check at the top of the page to verify the availability of the displayed plans. It also fails to mention that alternative plans may be available for your area if the displayed plans are determined to be unavailable via the Phone Line Checker.

3) The Phone Line Checker, when used, does not indicate that the displayed plans have changed if they've changed as a result of using the Phone Line Checker. Customers may see the prices change and be confused as to why they changed in price.

4) Nothing indicates on the page that there are 2 sets of ADSL plans, all a customer sees is one set of plans. The other set does not exist as it isn't mentioned anywhere so it is impossible for the customers to be aware of there being different plans to what they saw when they first visited the page and may continue to be unaware when the plans changed after using the Phone Line Checker.

5) The plans provided by both suppliers use the same name on the webpage. Both 1TB plans look exactly the same other than the price, for example. Nothing but the price distinguishes the 2 plans apart from each other (Disregarding fine print that few tend to read). The supplier isn't indicated nor is there a change of name, so people can feel like their being unjustly discriminated against for one reason or another.

6) Again, the web page does not separate the cost of the ADSL package from the cost of the Phone Line Rental. This I would really like to see happen, even if it seems like a pointless detail to have access to. This would make it significantly easier to determine if the phone line rental is included in the price listed in Step 1. Heck, don't include the phone line rental in the price listed in Step 1, instead only show the ADSL cost. Phone Line Rental cost is already displayed in Step 2 and the Order Summary and combined with the ADSL cost in the Total Cost under the Order Summary.

7) Again, having the ADSL price listed separately to the Phone Line Rental Cost in the Order Summary would make it easier to comprehend what the package entails. Telling me in the Order Summary that it is ADSL2+ after I've specifically chosen to look at ADSL2+ plans, doesn't help me determine anything. You could instead change the "Choose the ADSL Plan you want" to the left of the Order Summary, to "Choose the ADSL2+ Plan you want".

Image Image
First set of Plans ----- Second set of Plans
Hi Franpa,

Thank you for taking your time to highlight your concerns. We value your feedback. This information will be passed on to the relevant department for future reference.

Regards,
Remosha