HSPA VoIP Performance

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
ForumAdmin

HSPA VoIP Performance

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:08 am

This thread is for testers and users to share their experiences in making VoIP optimally effective over an HSPA service - either via a computer or a 3G handset..

codywilson

Re: HSPA VoIP Performance

Post by codywilson » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:14 am

I've found the nokia provided software on my E71 perform really well.
I even managed a 10 minute call inside a large warehouse.
The quality was great and there was no noticeable lag.
This is definitely viable.
Does exetel offer capped mobile calls like penny tel?
That would be the ultimate feature that'd probably sell loads of these Sims.
That and an exetel SMS app for nokia...

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 10:26 am

Have been testing VoIP performance as this is something that I see this service being very suitable for, it can take some fine tuning though to get the best out of it, at the moment I'm using a Nokia 3G handset which has a SIP client included already however the standard SIP client is somewhat limited in functionality as most of the settings are hidden, these settings can be unlocked though with an application released by Nokia.

The Nokia SIP settings app can be downloaded from here http://www.mediafire.com/?wtytxgd210b

The user guide for this app can be downloaded from here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tr9m1tifvzn

The default settings used on my model Nokia phone was using the G711 codec, using this app it is possible to set the codec to G729 and also set the order priority of codecs, aside from the data savings by using G729 the error correction it offers also is beneficial to use over 3G

For Sony Ericsson users there is a SIP application available for download here http://applicationshop.sonyericsson.com ... sf-html-en This is a paid app but does offer a trial version so you might want to trial first before paying

For other devices there is Fring http://www.fring.com/downloado/ Fring use servers in the USA and Europe for some of their functionality and can add some latency so may not offer the best results, they also offer a lot of instant messaging functionality, Skype, MSN, Yahoo etc but is known to be heavy on battery usage, it is also updated reasonably often so worth checking back for any improvements

At the moment incoming calls over 3G can be a bit hit and miss but need to keep in mind that the Exetel version will have a static IP address which will simplify things a great deal, with the current offers in the market the only real reliable way with most providers to get incoming calls working was to use a third party call handling services such as those offered by Voxalot http://www.voxalot.com/action/home or Oztell http://www.oztell.com/services/overview/ and use things such as STUN servers to correctly map the calls back to the handset on the providers WAN, the Exetel offer with a static IP should remove the need for these 3rd party services for basic incoming call functionality however there are still other functions that are served should you have more advanced needs such as being able to handle multiple SIP registrations and force specific codecs which can still be handy if you have a handset that does not have native support for these functions

rrdesign

Post by rrdesign » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:09 pm

This morning I put the SIM card from my test modem into my friend's Optus locked iPhone 3G. The SIM registered straight away and I was able to go onto the net via 3G. So much for the stories circulating elswhere about the iPhone being SIM locked.

I could not make a call via the normal phone system, but it would be great if a VoIP application was available.

Do these SIMs have an incoming phone number?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 3:21 pm

rrdesign wrote:This morning I put the SIM card from my test modem into my friend's Optus locked iPhone 3G. The SIM registered straight away and I was able to go onto the net via 3G. So much for the stories circulating elswhere about the iPhone being SIM locked.

I could not make a call via the normal phone system, but it would be great if a VoIP application was available.

Do these SIMs have an incoming phone number?
Optus iPhones are network locked so other Optus SIM's are no problem, the standard Optus broadband pack which is where your test SIM comes from are restricted from making or receiving phone calls, the Exetel version is being offered without this restriction, not sure if this SIM in an iPhone would be charged correctly, the APN used by the broadband pack is Connect, the APN used by the Optus iPhone is yesinternet, it's quite possible for the charging to differ depending on which APN is specified

note that by default an Optus iPhone does not show you the APN setting menu so requires some other manipulation to use the correct APN, if the phone is jailbroken this menu is available or alternatively there is an online tool for setting the APN without having to jailbreak the phone http://www.unlockit.co.nz/custom.php

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:24 pm

jok11n wrote:The Nokia SIP settings app can be downloaded from here http://www.mediafire.com/?wtytxgd210b

The user guide for this app can be downloaded from here http://www.mediafire.com/download.php?tr9m1tifvzn

The default settings used on my model Nokia phone was using the G711 codec, using this app it is possible to set the codec to G729 and also set the order priority of codecs, aside from the data savings by using G729 the error correction it offers also is beneficial to use over 3G
Great resource jok11n, I will give the app a go on my N82.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Aug 28, 2008 8:29 pm

vk3xem wrote:
Great resource jok11n, I will give the app a go on my N82.
You may need to delete your existing SIP profile and start fresh after you have installed the sipsettings app, see how you go but I'm sure you'll get your head around it without too much trouble

Edwin

Post by Edwin » Fri Aug 29, 2008 8:10 am

I've been making several 30 to 60 minute long Skype calls to both national and international Skype users and find the quality very reasonable, about 80% of the quality of doing a similar call over ADSL1/2.

Zebee

Post by Zebee » Tue Sep 02, 2008 4:15 pm

I admit to confusion... is the VOIP charged at the 1.5/2.5x per mb as downloads are, or is it charged at the unlimited 10c for Australian calls?

I couldn't see why there was VOIP information on the 3G page if they were charged at the high data rates, but it's one of those things it is important to get straight.

Zebee

dbr

Post by dbr » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:05 pm

Zebee wrote:is the VOIP charged at the 1.5/2.5x per mb as downloads are, or is it charged at the unlimited 10c for Australian calls?
Both. You will be charged on your VOIP account for the connection (10c landline, 22 c/min mobile) AND you will be charged for the data used (upload + download) on your HSPA account.

However using an efficient codec this can still be much better rates than 33 c per min for a Mobile call. Tests showed that it was about 1MB for 5 min call.

So a 5 min landline call will cost you roughly 10c + 1.5c = 11.5c as VOIP over HSPA vs 5 x 33 = $1.65 as a mobile call.
http://www.saferoz.com.au
First Aid * Fire * Safety

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Tue Sep 02, 2008 5:30 pm

Using VoIP over an HSPA handset should give the lowest possible call cost and using Exetel's SMS over email solution will give the lowest cost SMS.

You can receive 'standard' mobile SMS and voice calls as usual but VoIP brings amazing new low cost outbound calls.

Exetel is working with fring to make the installation of VoIP software on a wide range of hand sets very simple.

As DBR correctly points out the call costs are the VoIP call cost plus the cost of the IP traffic - just as it is on a desk top VoIP implementation.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Sep 03, 2008 3:55 am

You have to laugh really when you consider GSM/UMTS mobile is all digital data anyway whether you are making a normal call, surfing the net, sending SMS or using VoIP, yet the carriers want to charge all different amounts for it.

Having said that Exetel are really starting to show some diversity with these new plans, now if only Optarse would get their act into gear in my area and fix coverage...
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:50 am

Xlite Via HSPA
- It's been tested at our office and at different locations as well as inside and outside buildings. Call Quality is fairly decent with some slight delays due to latency of a wireless connection however the pings weren't so bad.
Normally you would have one spike that goes to 500ms then it goes back down to 100ms.
-The actual calls were quite clear and the voice could be heard perfectly fine but both end users. You would only notice the delays if you had the laptop/pc next to the person you're making a call to.

Voip Via HSPD/3Gmobile
- We have tested using fring for the nokia E65, with fring you would be able to use voip via your mobile. Set up is relativity easy as all you would need to do is download the application into your modem and input the sip settings, username & password.
-Set up guides and further information will be posted on the forums once fring adds exetel into their software application. There is higher delays using fring however results were good as you're able to make outgoing calls and take incoming calls which is bringing a DID voip account anywhere you go.

This will prove to be a advantage to a lot of customers and lowering the cost of calls.

If anyone else have feedback please post it up so i could do further testing.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

oldman

Post by oldman » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:07 am

Are there 3G phones available that can also act as a modem for your notebook?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Sep 03, 2008 11:49 am

oldman wrote:Are there 3G phones available that can also act as a modem for your notebook?
Nokia handsets do this no problem, they can work as a modem while connected via bluetooth and still make or receive cellular calls simultaneously, I've done it with my E65 which is an older model