HSPA VoIP Performance

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: HSPA VoIP Performance

Post by Gidget » Mon Mar 30, 2009 11:55 pm

gearo wrote:I didn't wish to give up and recently purchased an E71 nokia (s60) hoping for better results, but this time using the trial exevoip, where I understand lag caused by latency problems and signals bouncing around the world should be reduced.
As I posted on the Fring/Nimbuzz replacement thread earlier
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 78#p239378
the version of exeVOIP that is currently available is still a demo version for customers to trial - the final version has not yet been released, so don't use the demo version expecting to get perfect results.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

gearo

Post by gearo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 6:54 am

thank you for the quick response.
Regards bugs etc, that is fine.
I did not wish to simply complain, rather contribute and request ideas to assist resolve.
I was told exevoip was nearing approval for the massess (waiting approval from Nokia) for final release next week?.
For this reason i suspected the trial must be nearing completion with the major issues resolved.

Given so many variables, I thought perhaps, I may be able to improve results through some of my settings. If the problems outlined are not of my own doing and control and associated fixes lay with exetel, I am more than pleased I have provided feedback for development.
Is my information correct regards final timings ?.
What are your thoughts here for me to obtain quality calls with voip 3g in the near future?
thanks again for your response.

closey

Post by closey » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:47 pm

gearo wrote:Again, any ideas to improve (apart for waiting for more towers..) are most appreciated as even in the Newcastle/Maitland city, quality was not acceptable.
For what it's worth, I'm in Newcastle too and find the VOIP over 3G quality to be bad with whatever software I try (fring, nimbuzz, S60 internal app, exevoip). It seems to be highly dependent on your location due to congestion issues.

Has exetel had a look at what peXXytel (didn't want to flat out name a competitor ;) ) are doing with their mobile offering? It looks like a smart way to use the voice network (which includes GSM cells) rather than the low priority (and often over-subscribed) 3g network

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Mar 31, 2009 8:51 pm

closey wrote: Has exetel had a look at what peXXytel (didn't want to flat out name a competitor ;) ) are doing with their mobile offering? It looks like a smart way to use the voice network (which includes GSM cells) rather than the low priority (and often over-subscribed) 3g network
there are a lot of smarts in the system they have setup, no doubt about that, they are still suffering quality issues though and are far from having it sorted, these things do take time unfortunately but I'm sure it will get there

gearo

Post by gearo » Tue Mar 31, 2009 10:47 pm

thanks for comments.
At least I appear not to have the problem alone.
I will look into pennytel but at the same time am hopeful that something will come up with exetel.
After trying exevoip extensively this week, I agree with Closey that the poor reception appears related to the signal / area.
Sometimes when the 3g signal is "maxxed out" and no building/bridges/offices around, the reception for the 2 parties on the mobile voip line is BRILLIANT !
People have actually made comment to me it being better than gsm.
Unfortunately this scenario does not occur all that often and in turn has poor results.
Hope the techo's can get something done and provide some feedback.
thanks.

ps.
one question relating opposition to exevoip.
If the cause of poor reception is indeed the optus 3g signal, how can it be that other providers can provide a better quality result if they are using the same optus service/?
or do they?
information greatly appreciated.
thanks.

Audrey Jnr

Post by Audrey Jnr » Fri Apr 03, 2009 3:23 am

I just got HSPA last week, and started my VoIP account a few days ago. I'm using a headset (earphones/microphone) and X-lite. The modem is attached to an external antenna and the signal strength is 92-99%. 9 out of 10 speed tests are between 850-950kbps (1 out of 10 was 690kbps).

When I rang my landline phone from the VoIP phone, there was an 11 second delay on the audio from the headset microphone. I've spent 6 hours perusing the forum, trouble shooting wiz, etc, trying to find a solution. No-one else seems to be having this problem with a softphone, so I'm feeling like a massive dope here. :( I've downloaded X-Pro, thinking the additional choices in codec might be helpful, but I have no idea if I've set it up correctly.

Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this lag problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Feeeed Me . . . I'm HUNGRY!!!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:36 pm

Audrey Jnr wrote: Does anyone have any ideas on how I can fix this lag problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
it's possible that the delay in audio is happening while it is trying to work out which ports are needed, if this is the case you may find that using a stun server will help you, there should be instructions with your softphone about how to add the stun server, the one I use at the moment is stun.ekiga.net

I was having audio problems due to a double NAT issue and using the stun server fixed it

please let us know how you get on in case there is anything else that needs to be looked at

Audrey Jnr

Post by Audrey Jnr » Sat Apr 04, 2009 7:21 pm

Thanks for the advice!
I went to my X-Lite menu > SIP Account Settings > Properties > Topology > and under STUN Server I chose "Use Specified Server" and entered "stun.ekiga.net", then hit Apply and OK.
No dice!!
The audio from the microphone still has a delay. The delay gets worse as the call progresses - at first it was about 5 seconds and then by the 2 minute mark it was about 18 seconds. X-Lite then hung up automatically at 2mins 4 secs.

Thanks heaps for trying though!! :D Does anyone have any further ideas?
Feeeed Me . . . I'm HUNGRY!!!

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Apr 05, 2009 1:44 am

Audrey Jnr wrote:Thanks for the advice!
I went to my X-Lite menu > SIP Account Settings > Properties > Topology > and under STUN Server I chose "Use Specified Server" and entered "stun.ekiga.net", then hit Apply and OK.
No dice!!
The audio from the microphone still has a delay. The delay gets worse as the call progresses - at first it was about 5 seconds and then by the 2 minute mark it was about 18 seconds. X-Lite then hung up automatically at 2mins 4 secs.

Thanks heaps for trying though!! :D Does anyone have any further ideas?
can you try an alternate softphone and see how it goes, SJPhone might be one worth trying

edw4rd

Post by edw4rd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:38 pm

Hi,
HSPA link, Modem Huawei E169, hooked up to Billion 7404VGPX usb port, exetel VOIP, searched through lots of links on exetel support pages and voip configs, set it up as prescribed (G711, no other codecs, 20ms frame size) and what i'm getting is that I hear people perfectly on outbound call , but they hear me with delays, cuts, and they hear themselves with robotic echo.
from ozspeedtest upload test I'm getting ~40kbps - can this be a problem? (download is around 800kbps, so that's fine i guess). If yes, what can I do about it?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 2:45 pm

edw4rd wrote: set it up as prescribed (G711, no other codecs, 20ms frame size) and what i'm getting is that I hear people perfectly on outbound call ,
fine for ADSL usage but not so great with 3G, try it with G729 instead and see how it goes

edw4rd

Post by edw4rd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 3:59 pm

jokiin wrote:
edw4rd wrote: set it up as prescribed (G711, no other codecs, 20ms frame size) and what i'm getting is that I hear people perfectly on outbound call ,
fine for ADSL usage but not so great with 3G, try it with G729 instead and see how it goes
Thanks for the suggestion - I changed to G.729 with 40ms, i was told it's better, although they still hear themselves, but much lower..then i decreased my mic and speaker levels to the minimum and it became even more better...as they told me..

And then appeared another problem.. one contact couldn't even call me..got a blank line and then it dropped immediately and he's got a vm.. that's from a landline..but another called and picked it up, but he said it's now a bit worse..but still manageable.

Did anyone use G726-32? I'd try, but coudn't find anywhere what's the Voice Frame Size I'm supposed to use for that..

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 6:31 pm

edw4rd wrote:
jokiin wrote:
Thanks for the suggestion - I changed to G.729 with 40ms, i was told it's better, although they still hear themselves, but much lower..then i decreased my mic and speaker levels to the minimum and it became even more better...as they told me..

And then appeared another problem.. one contact couldn't even call me..got a blank line and then it dropped immediately and he's got a vm.. that's from a landline..but another called and picked it up, but he said it's now a bit worse..but still manageable.

Did anyone use G726-32? I'd try, but coudn't find anywhere what's the Voice Frame Size I'm supposed to use for that..
for a Billion normally the mic set two levels lower than the speaker is a good starting point to clear the echo, can try with a different handset if you have one available, some cordless phones can introduce problems, Uniden I think from memory don't work that great with Billion VoIP, may still require a bit more fine tuning until you get it right

also make sure you haven't got just G729 (or just G711 or just any other codec for that matter) if you lock it to a single codec you may find calls will fail at times if it can't negotiate the codec correctly, better to set your codec priority, start with G729, the G711 etc and let the router sort out which one it needs when it needs it

gearo

Post by gearo » Tue Apr 07, 2009 7:21 pm

HI ALL,
I DON'T MIND AT ALL BUT THESE THREADS DO NOT SEMBLE THE ORIGINAL CONSIDERATION THAT WAS POSTED.
ANY IDEAS?/.. FROM SOMEONE THAT WAS LOOKING FOR GOOD QUALITY 3G VOIP?

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:13 pm

Hi gearo

I suggest you start a new thread with your specific questions so they don't get overwhelmed in a general thread like this one - and please go easy on the caps locks as writing in all capitals is akin to shouting on a Forum.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal