HSPA VoIP Performance

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Audrey Jnr

Re: HSPA VoIP Performance

Post by Audrey Jnr » Tue Apr 07, 2009 8:16 pm

ForumAdmin wrote:This thread is for testers and users to share their experiences in making VoIP optimally effective over an HSPA service - either via a computer or a 3G handset..
I'm V sorry gearo - I thought I was posting within parameters - will start my own thread if peeps would be more comfortable with that?

I've tried the SJPhone as suggested - thanx jokiin! When I made an outgoing call using the SJphone, couldn't hear anything on the landline, but could hear audio from the landline to the headset fine. I've searched and searched through the SJphone user guide and the profile guide and the advanced user guide and the FAQs . . . I have no idea where I went wrong!!

If anyone has experienced the audio lag issue with X-Lite and knows what to do to fix it, I'd really like to know. Or if anyone knows what I've done wrong in my SJphone settings, please please please enlighten me?! Or, if anyone knows how I should set up X-Pro, you could be a huge help to me, because it seems so complicated and I don't know where to begin.

I'd really appreciate any help or suggestion from anyone - thanks heaps for your time - XOXO
Feeeed Me . . . I'm HUNGRY!!!

edw4rd

Post by edw4rd » Tue Apr 07, 2009 9:48 pm

jokiin wrote: for a Billion normally the mic set two levels lower than the speaker is a good starting point to clear the echo, can try with a different handset if you have one available, some cordless phones can introduce problems, Uniden I think from memory don't work that great with Billion VoIP, may still require a bit more fine tuning until you get it right

also make sure you haven't got just G729 (or just G711 or just any other codec for that matter) if you lock it to a single codec you may find calls will fail at times if it can't negotiate the codec correctly, better to set your codec priority, start with G729, the G711 etc and let the router sort out which one it needs when it needs it
I actually do have Uniden but don't have other handset.. :)
Regarding the codecs I found on one of the posts here that specifically mentioned NOT to leave any other codec except the one you try/test/use...

But since both my testers are agreeing now that their voice echo levels are .. manageable.. is there anything I can do to make sure I always get incoming calls (as not always people are able to actually call me)..I run the latest f/w, the provider appears to be registered, expire delay is set to 240 as recommended by exetel..is there anything else I can do/check/try?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Tue Apr 07, 2009 10:57 pm

edw4rd wrote: Regarding the codecs I found on one of the posts here that specifically mentioned NOT to leave any other codec except the one you try/test/use...
for testing purposes to identify if problems are codec related, yes
edw4rd wrote: is there anything I can do to make sure I always get incoming calls (as not always people are able to actually call me)..I run the latest f/w, the provider appears to be registered, expire delay is set to 240 as recommended by exetel..is there anything else I can do/check/try?
you need to make sure you have the other codecs enabled as calls can fail if the correct codec isn't available and it can't negotiate correctly, calls will either drop or go to voicemail in this case

gearo

Post by gearo » Wed Apr 08, 2009 7:02 am

ok

sqgl

Post by sqgl » Sun Aug 23, 2009 12:38 am

ForumAdmin wrote:Exetel is working with fring to make the installation of VoIP software on a wide range of hand sets very simple.
...and how is that going? Earlie rin this trhead you said they were not returning exetel calls. They were freaked out by the suggestion of exeetel running a server for all Aussies? Can anyone imagine why that would bother them?

They have a youtube channel where we should start commenting.

McMark

Re: HSPA VoIP on Nokia E75

Post by McMark » Sat Sep 19, 2009 4:51 pm

Hi
I have managed to utilise the native sip settings on the E75 to attempt to make internet calls, however although the phone
registers the exetel account , and I have the option to make internet calls , and the phone attempts to make calls
I find that it doesn’t quite get to the point where my phone actually calls the number. I have read extensively to achieve
what I have achieved by just getting the registration correct. Would any readers
have any idea what could be causing this?
regards
Mark
mac os 10.4.10
imac 2g core 2 duo
exetel voip/adsl-netgear dg834g
512/128

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: HSPA VoIP on Nokia E75

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 8:40 pm

McMark wrote:Hi
I have managed to utilise the native sip settings on the E75 to attempt to make internet calls, however although the phone
registers the exetel account , and I have the option to make internet calls , and the phone attempts to make calls
I find that it doesn’t quite get to the point where my phone actually calls the number. I have read extensively to achieve
what I have achieved by just getting the registration correct. Would any readers
have any idea what could be causing this?
regards
Mark
you may need to use the Nokia SIP settings profile app to fine tune your settings, there are a lot of hidden settings in the default SIP program that are not available without this extra application

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:17 pm

I think you can get further information here.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Sep 19, 2009 9:43 pm

Probably should have suggested to make sure you are on the latest firmware version also, there are often fixes for stuff like this

if all else fails you could also look at using a 3rd party VoIP app on the phone where someone else has done all the config, vPhone is worth a look http://www.matrixconsultants.com.au/sipclient.html I'm using the iPhone version of this now and it has some good features and very simple to setup

McMark

Post by McMark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 6:17 am

thanks for the response. I have the sip voip app installed and settings added.
I havent checked to see if I have the latest firmware though. The other problem that developed (which forced me
to delete the settings ) was that my phone then started freezing and acting erratically.
Will try a phone update check today. The Vphone app looks good however it needs to be purchased.
I will try finding a cheaper solution first but thanks anyway.
Mark
mac os 10.4.10
imac 2g core 2 duo
512/128

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:35 am

McMark wrote:The Vphone app looks good however it needs to be purchased. I will try finding a cheaper solution first but thanks anyway.
I thought $5 was probably about as cheap as you could expect to pay :)

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

McMark

Post by McMark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 9:45 am

Thanks Gidget
I agree it isn't expensive, however I would like to try to get the native app working.
I need to ask for some setting details;
DEFAULT DESTINATION-? options on E75-internet, multimedia,Wap , intranet
DEFAULT ACCESS POINT-?would that be my optus data account?
PROXY SERVER ADDRESS? (is this sip1.exetel.com.au or 58.96.1.2?)
REALM? (Is this sip1.exetel.com.au?)
TRANSPORT TYPE? automatic, udp, tcp (i am assuming this is UDP)
I am assuming REGISTRAR SERVER settings will be the same as proxy?
If this doesn’t work I will try the $5 app
Whoa I just opened advanced voip settings which appeared after I installed the http://www.forum.nokia.com/info/sw.noki ... tings.html link you sent me. There are a load of settings there. Do you know if I need to fill them all?
cheers
Mark
mac os 10.4.10
imac 2g core 2 duo
512/128

sqgl

Post by sqgl » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:11 pm

McMark wrote:thanks for the response. I have the sip voip app installed and settings added.
I havent checked to see if I have the latest firmware though. The other problem that developed (which forced me
to delete the settings ) was that my phone then started freezing and acting erratically.
Mark
I bought nokia 6120 for this purpose. Crashes are problem of Symbian OS I think. Usually there is a 4 second delay so SIP using mobile makes for awkward conversations. The delay is because you *have* to use fring (are you using fring?) and the fring server is in USA.

VOIP on Exetel ADSL via computer works beautifully though.

McMark

Post by McMark » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:23 pm

HI I agree , voip is great working from an adsl modem and an ata. I have tried to find Gizmo for the E75, but I dont think it is available
yet for the s60v3 feature pack 2. I have fring (sip) but didn’t have much success with settings and operation. Vphone will be my next stop if
the native sip voip app doesn’t work. I am hoping the freezing and erratic behaviour may be a result of wrong input settings, at least I hope so.
I already have the latest firmware for the E75.
I have read on forums about people having great success with voip on mobiles.
The advanced settings may be the key to getting some success with my phone. Keep trying and searching , I am sure you will find a solution
out in cyberspace somewhere.
cheers
Mark
mac os 10.4.10
imac 2g core 2 duo
512/128

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sun Sep 20, 2009 5:57 pm

McMark wrote: Vphone will be my next stop if the native sip voip app doesn’t work.
I've only recently stumbled across vPhone and it has a few things going for it, although they write for four different platforms I think you'll find the developer is a Nokia guy, he is also based in Australia and the support is first class, it also handles multiple providers so if you want to setup a backup provider you have that option

Getting the native app working would be preferred obviously but if all else fails I would say it could be $5 well spent to go with vPhone