Configuring a Huawei E220 modem

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G

Configuring a Huawei E220 modem

Postby Need2No on Wed Sep 24, 2008 3:51 pm

I have received, and activated, my HSPA Exetel SIM yesterday. I set up my E220 using the Exetel supplied user name and password and APN Connect. I can connect to the internet OK and transfer data. However, when I logged into my user facility this morning there was no data used shown nor a IP address. I am sure that I seen somewhere that I should receive an Exetel IP address and not a optusnet address. Although I activated my SIM my user facility says my service is not activated yet
Should I have a 220.233.?.? address, or have I missed a step?

Thanks
Need2No

Re: Configuring a Huawei E220 modem

Postby JaGuR on Thu Sep 25, 2008 1:46 pm

I have a Vodaphone E220, should I be using the supplied Vodaphone install disk or should I download a different install application to use on the Exetel service
Cheers
JaGuR

Postby Need2No on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:06 pm

JaGuR wrote:I have a Vodaphone E220, should I be using the supplied Vodaphone install disk or should I download a different install application to use on the Exetel service
Cheers

That's the same as the one that I'm using. All I did was to input my user name and password, as supplied by Exetel. Then in the APN window, I selected Static and used the APN of Connect. I was then able to connect to the internet OK, even though I was given an Optus IP address. Exetel advised me that this was normal and will be changing to an Exetel IP shortly.

Regards
Need2No

Postby JaGuR on Thu Sep 25, 2008 2:09 pm

Need2No wrote:
JaGuR wrote:I have a Vodaphone E220, should I be using the supplied Vodaphone install disk or should I download a different install application to use on the Exetel service
Cheers

That's the same as the one that I'm using. All I did was to input my user name and password, as supplied by Exetel. Then in the APN window, I selected Static and used the APN of Connect. I was then able to connect to the internet OK, even though I was given an Optus IP address. Exetel advised me that this was normal and will be changing to an Exetel IP shortly.

Regards

Ok did that but ,

But just says Searching for Network :(
JaGuR

Postby JaGuR on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:03 pm

Not working in my mobile phone either, maybe the sim hasn't been properly activated yet, it is a C3, how long should they take to activate ?

edit: Seems to be a problem with the sim, I got my M1 working in the e220 and in my nokia e65, but can't get the c3 to pick up a signal in either :?
JaGuR

Postby Need2No on Thu Sep 25, 2008 3:57 pm

JaGuR wrote:
Need2No wrote:
Cheers

Regards

Ok did that but ,

But just says Searching for Network :(

Did you go into your members facility and activate your SIM?

When I first tried it I also got the "Searching for network". I then used the longer, double headed, USB cable. This gave me more signal strength bars and it then started working.

Regards
Need2No

Postby JaGuR on Thu Sep 25, 2008 4:05 pm

EDIT:

Seems I got my Two sim cards mixed up, everything is working properly, just waiting on my M1 service to have my number ported over :oops:
JaGuR

Postby zaxapod on Fri Sep 26, 2008 11:19 am

Just activated my exetel service - its all working fine with the E220. I've been using the vodafone mobile connect software, but once its set up its much quicker to connect just through windows - right click on the vodafone connection and it just connects. I've put an shortcut on the taskbar so it just connects straight away.

On my second notebook (an eeepc) I didn't install the vodafone software at all, just the drivers from the disk. So it just connects through windows as a dialup modem. Its all working perfect.
zaxapod

Postby mykll on Fri Oct 03, 2008 12:27 am

Having trouble connecting with my NEC Vista laptop. I'm using the E220 modem and Vodaphone Software, with a Huawei Profile with APN set to Connect. SIM is activated. The Software finds the Yes Optus 3G network OK, shows 2 - 4 bars of signal , but when I click on 'connect', it tries to connect for a while before coming up with an error message, sometimes refering to a non-existent Error number. Other times showing RAS error code 633 if using the 2 USB cable, or RAS error code 619 if using the single USB cable.
Also tried using the Huawei Mobile Connect Software, and the program initializes OK, finds the network OK, but when clicking on CONNECT, it sends data packet, then comes up with an error message that the remote computer connection couldn't be established, so the port was closed. Again it refers to a non-existent error number.
Anybody got any ideas? HELP!! :?
mykll

Postby zaxapod on Fri Oct 03, 2008 7:41 am

Try this...

Uninstall the vodafone and huawei software

then go to control panel > phone & modem options > modems and remove every huawei modem listed

then install the vodafone software and, once its installed plug in the modem (using the 2 prong plug), and change the APN to connect

I've done this before when a modem wouldn't work when it was first installed, I never did figure out what the problem was, but removing every piece of software and hardware and starting again did work

If its still not working then you'd have to wonder if there's a more complex problem - like the modem itself is faulty, or the sim itself is faulty or optus didn't do the activation correctly, so if it still isn't working post back here
zaxapod

Postby mykll on Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:19 am

Thaks Zaxapod,

Tried all that, and still getting the RAS error code 619. Even tried a second (Vodaphone) E220 modem with the same result. Tried deleting the device and adding it again. Still no go. It knows it's on Optus 3G, still attempts to connect, but ends with the error message. Next???
mykll

Postby zaxapod on Sat Oct 04, 2008 7:30 am

I guess you need to see if the simcard and account are actually working - so see if the sim works in a phone - if it will receive calls and sms then you know that the account has been activated and the sim works.

Edit - now that I think about it, the problem might be vista - vodafone did have some additional software just for vista - so try this
http://www.business.vodafone.com/site/b ... _vista.jsp
zaxapod

Postby fridgie on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:01 pm

HELP!
I have recently purchased the C1 plan and followed all instruction in setting up
The problem I am now having is sending emails through my Exetel account using the HSPA service.
Using the same account I can send and receive emails through my home ADSL account then I go back to my HSPA service and I get an error (The server responded: 550 relay not permitted)
fridgie

Postby IanS on Sun Oct 05, 2008 1:59 pm

fridgie wrote:HELP!
I have recently purchased the C1 plan and followed all instruction in setting up
The problem I am now having is sending emails through my Exetel account using the HSPA service.
Using the same account I can send and receive emails through my home ADSL account then I go back to my HSPA service and I get an error (The server responded: 550 relay not permitted)

Fridgie,

Change your outgoing server to mail.optusnet.com.au & it will work.
Keep in mind, that in the next week or so, the way Exetel intergrate with Optus will change. After this change you'll have to change back to smtp.<state>.exemail.com.au to send email.

Ian
Last edited by IanS on Sat Oct 11, 2008 9:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.
IanS

Postby gragre on Sun Oct 05, 2008 2:30 pm

My e220 didn't work properly until I reinstalled its firmware and software from the latest file available at this address: http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/ ... =-1&id=736

Until then it did a pretty fair impression of having broken software, giving illogical errors and getting itself stuck in software loops. The update fixed it.
gragre

Next

Return to HSPA connections