Configuring a Huawei E220 modem

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
fridgie

Re: Configuring a Huawei E220 modem

Post by fridgie » Sun Oct 05, 2008 3:00 pm

IanS wrote:
fridgie wrote:HELP!
I have recently purchased the C1 plan and followed all instruction in setting up
The problem I am now having is sending emails through my Exetel account using the HSPA service.
Using the same account I can send and receive emails through my home ADSL account then I go back to my HSPA service and I get an error (The server responded: 550 relay not permitted)
Fridgie,

Change your outgoing server to mail.optusnet.com.au & it will work.
Keep in mind, that in the next week or so, the way Exetel intergrate with Optus will change. After this change you'll have to change back to smpt.<state>.exemail.com.au to send email.

Ian
Thankyou it now works fine

greatly appretiated

ymo

Post by ymo » Sun Oct 05, 2008 4:09 pm

IanS wrote:After this change you'll have to change back to smpt.<state>.exemail.com.au to send email.
I think that should be smtp.<state>.exemail.com.au as SMTP = Simple Mail Transfer Protocol.

mykll

Post by mykll » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:29 am

Many thanks to the posted suggestions above, but I still have had no luck in connecting to the network. I have tested the SIM card, it receives texts and calls OK. Tried the Vista-specific Vodaphone Software (lite version) which installs on the E220 Modem, replacing the Huawei software. It recognises the Optus 3G Network and attempts to connect, but then I get a "You must be on the Vodaphone Network to make a data connection" message. Tried the latest Huawei Dashboard Update, downloaded from Huawei Website. Again it recognises the Optus network, but when it attempts to connect, I get a "Couldn't connect to remote computer so port closed..." error message, as I did with the previous version.
I'm going nuts trying to figure this out... Anyone else have any suggestions??

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:13 am

Change the APN from "Connect" to "exetel1" and this works for me :) This is a tip from Paulp.

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Thu Oct 09, 2008 7:25 am

mykll wrote: I get a "You must be on the Vodaphone Network to make a data connection" message.
I've never had problems getting optus sims to work in unlocked vodafone modems, but if your actual modems are locked to vodafone there could be a problem. The modems that come from vodafone australia don't seem to be locked, but the ones from vodafone UK definitely are locked. Where did you get your E220 modems from? The ones that are on ebay lately all seem to be unlocked, but I've heard there was a big lot on Grays Online that were all locked.

Anyway, if you want to check if your modems are locked you can go to http://www.dc-unlocker.com/ they have a program which will show the locked/unlocked status of your modem. They charge money to unlock it though..

I'm still not sure that the problem with your modems isn't related to vista though - do you have any xp or even linux computers that you could try the modems on?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 9:18 am

mykll wrote:Many thanks to the posted suggestions above, but I still have had no luck in connecting to the network. I have tested the SIM card, it receives texts and calls OK. Tried the Vista-specific Vodaphone Software (lite version) which installs on the E220 Modem, replacing the Huawei software. It recognises the Optus 3G Network and attempts to connect, but then I get a "You must be on the Vodaphone Network to make a data connection" message. Tried the latest Huawei Dashboard Update, downloaded from Huawei Website. Again it recognises the Optus network, but when it attempts to connect, I get a "Couldn't connect to remote computer so port closed..." error message, as I did with the previous version.
I'm going nuts trying to figure this out... Anyone else have any suggestions??
the software doesn't have the Vodafone DNS settings already set by any chance does it, I would imagine that you would get this error if that's the case

some of the early ones of this model modem supplied by Vodafone where carrier locked though, you may just have one of those so would need to unlock it if that's the case

mykll

Post by mykll » Fri Oct 10, 2008 5:03 am

Pretty sure modems not locked. I bought 2 from different ebay sellers, both advertised as unocked and updated with latest firmware (Unfortunately one wouldn't read from inbuilt drive, so it couldn't install drivers), so mainly utilising the other one. Did attempt to update firmware myself, but on the Vista machine the updater doesn't recognise the modem. Might have to try on the XP machine.
Changed APN to exetel1, still no change. I tend to think it's Vista related too, but my XP 'puter isn't within reach of the Optus 3G network.
So is there anyone using Vista with this modem, and if so can you post the specs: firmware version, what software you're using, etc, so I can compare it to mine, Thanx

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 7:10 am

mykll wrote:Pretty sure modems not locked. I bought 2 from different ebay sellers, both advertised as unocked and updated with latest firmware (Unfortunately one wouldn't read from inbuilt drive, so it couldn't install drivers), so mainly utilising the other one. Did attempt to update firmware myself, but on the Vista machine the updater doesn't recognise the modem. Might have to try on the XP machine.
Changed APN to exetel1, still no change. I tend to think it's Vista related too, but my XP 'puter isn't within reach of the Optus 3G network.
So is there anyone using Vista with this modem, and if so can you post the specs: firmware version, what software you're using, etc, so I can compare it to mine, Thanx
I am using Vista HB, the E220 modem is Vodafone branded. I upgraded the firmware to 11.117.09.04.00 from http://www.mobilebroadbandrocks.com/hua ... -available. The software is the official one from Huawei website http://www.huawei.com/mobileweb/en/doc/ ... =-1&id=736.

IanS

Post by IanS » Fri Oct 10, 2008 10:00 am

mykll wrote:Did attempt to update firmware myself, but on the Vista machine the updater doesn't recognise the modem. Might have to try on the XP machine.
I has a similar problem, XP kept recognising the E220 as a CD drive & the update s/w would not find the E220.

Solution - plug in the E220 & let windows detect it as a CD-ROM, go into the device manager & uninstall the E220 CD-ROM drive, then run the update s/w.

I tried the Vodafone dashboard s/w, which would recognise the Optus USIM, but when I clicked the connect button, kept getting a message stating something along the lines "not allowed to connect". I ended up using the Optus dashboard, which allowed me to configure for Optus, Exetel, Vodafone & Telstra (GSM only) & have no problems using any of the services.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:29 am

IanS wrote:
mykll wrote: I ended up using the Optus dashboard, which allowed me to configure for Optus, Exetel, Vodafone & Telstra (GSM only) & have no problems using any of the services.
Where did you get that from?

H.

Pos

Post by Pos » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:11 pm

Switched to APN=exetel1 and things are OK execept sending mail.

After trying a number of variations of:

smtp.exetel.com.au
mail.exetel.com.au
smtp.nsw.exetel.com.au
mail.nsw.exetel.com.au
mail.nsw.exemail.com.au

After RTFM, I finally arrived at success with smtp.nsw.exemail.com.au.

Perhaps a couple of CNAMEs would be useful.

Mark

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Fri Oct 10, 2008 3:22 pm

The "exetel" domain is reserved for Exetel staff. Customers use the "exemail" domain.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

mykll

Post by mykll » Sat Oct 11, 2008 2:24 am

I'm a happy chappy now, I'm on!!!! Updated both modems to the firmware as mentioned by ssyt99 (thanks for the info) shown above, and updated dashboard too. Uninstalled everything and modems to start fresh. Did the install (again) and: Hey Presto, both connected via Huawei software no problem.
Interesting fact, although one modem wouldn't read from the inbuilt drive, after the firmware and dashboard update, it's all fine.
Also got copy of Optus Dashboard off a friends Optus-branded e220 (copied from inbuilt drive) and that works just fine too. If anyone wants the Optus dashboard software, let me know your email and I can send it on direct. Once again, thanks to everyone for their assistance!!

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Sun Oct 12, 2008 7:15 pm

Glad that I can help :D

I still have problem myself, my ticket is not answered :cry: . The DID is linked to my ADSL2+ account so $5 will be charged on my account. The usage meter is still zero :mrgreen:

nicko

Post by nicko » Fri Jan 02, 2009 3:22 pm

In my HSPA service notification from exetel I was given an APN and an SP code.

Using the Optus interface for the E220, under Tools/Options/Profile Management, I can see where to put the APN, but nowhere for the SP code. Only Access number, user name and password.

Can anyone shed any light on this?

Thanks.