Sending SMS

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
MarkSnell

Sending SMS

Post by MarkSnell » Sat Oct 04, 2008 4:12 pm

On the Exetel HSPA Voice Call Prices page, it states that you can "use Exetel's VoIP service to make calls and send SMSs by using fring".

I cannot work out how to send an SMS using Fring. Can anyone help?

All the best

Mark

MarkSnell

Re: Sending SMS

Post by MarkSnell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:57 am

If Fring does not work and there is no other phone-based product available to take advantage of the Exetel SMS service over HSPA, this leaves two options:

1. Email to SMS.
2. SMS from Web

While Email to SMS is possible, it can be cumbersome, particularly for large volumes, and it is not integrated with Exetel's SMS from Web service.

I would really like to see a mobile-friendly version of the Members' Facilities "SMS from Web" pages, and for it to tap into the same back-end database.

While I have been waiting for an answer to my question, I have knocked together a working prototype for all to try at http://sms.tellingbone.info.

It builds on concepts discussed in these forum pages at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=301&t=26255 and at http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=59&t=28774.

Hopefully, this will encourage feedback to Exetel on the desirability of them doing something similar (and better).

This version features:
- Free-form entry or selection from list of senders' names
- Free-form entry or selection from address list of destination names and numbers
- Free-form entry or selection from list of template text
- Ability to store sender's name, recipient number and name, and/or message text to these lists when sending message
- Field validation
- Message character count
- Cross platform functionality (tested on Symbian and Windows Mobile)
- Works on GPRS and HSPA

Among the limitations:
- Only accepts 04... numbers
- Requires a reference number (numerals only)
- Limited to 160 character messages
- Not capable of bulk SMS
- Entries in lists can't be deleted
- Is not implemented over SSL
- Does not return from send status page
- It can be a bit clunky
- There are probably bugs in it

Suggestions/notes for intending users:
- Try it out on a PC first to get used to the way it works
- User name and password need to be registered on Exetel Members' Facilities "SMS API Access" page
- Square buttons with ellipses (...) give access to selection lists
- User name and password fields must be filled in before selection lists will be filled
- Selecting from a list will refresh the screen
- "Save" checkboxes will store the adjacent field contents to the selection lists when SMS is sent
- Normal Exetel charges apply and users take advantage of this prototype entirely at their own risk

All the best

Mark

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:08 am

Thanks Mark,

Just curious, with this page being able to save numbers, where are they stored? I'm guessing the phone's cache, is that correct?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:47 am

It has its own backend database, just like Exetel's.

It's not integrated with the phone's storage or functionality, beyond that of its web browser.

All the best

Mark

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 6:11 pm

MarkSnell wrote:It has its own backend database, just like Exetel's. It's not integrated with the phone's storage or functionality, beyond that of its web browser.
Mark
Hi Mark,

I downloaded the web page and tried it on my PC.

It asks for "default.aspx".

Where do I get that from?

Regards,

Harry.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:39 pm

Harry

This is a internet application - which can be run in a web browser on your PC or on your phone.

It is not a downloadable application.

All the best

Mark

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Mon Oct 06, 2008 7:59 pm

MarkSnell wrote:It is not a downloadable application.
Thanks!

H.

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Mon Oct 06, 2008 10:28 pm

We will develop a web based SMS function, which allow you to send SMS from HSPA device. Your HSPA IP address will be able to identify your account. I will publish this function when it is done later Monday afternoon.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 12:36 pm

I look forward to seeing it.

In the meantime, I have knocked together another prototype around this idea at http://ipsms.tellingbone.info

This one will allow you to associate your client IP address with any Exetel SMS API access account.

All the best

Mark

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Oct 07, 2008 1:36 pm

raymond wrote:We will develop a web based SMS function, which allow you to send SMS from HSPA device. Your HSPA IP address will be able to identify your account. I will publish this function when it is done later Monday afternoon.
Good stuff Raymond, will people on the Vodafone/Exetel plans be able to make use of this also?
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Tue Oct 07, 2008 5:11 pm

Good stuff Raymond, will people on the Vodafone/Exetel plans be able to make use of this also?
It looks to me like both Exetel HSPA (Optus) and Exetel Mobile (Vodafone) have dynamic IP addresses ... so I suspect there might be a challenge implementing this IP-driven approach on both platforms.

All the best

Mark

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Wed Oct 08, 2008 11:45 am

The use of cookies might be a viable option (which I have now implemented in the prototype at http://ipsms.tellingbone.info)

All the best

Mark

ottyacat

Post by ottyacat » Wed Oct 08, 2008 12:02 pm

MarkSnell wrote:
It looks to me like both Exetel HSPA (Optus) and Exetel Mobile (Vodafone) have dynamic IP addresses ... so I suspect there might be a challenge implementing this IP-driven approach on both platforms.

All the best

Mark
Exetel's HSPA connections will be migrated to their own network very soon and will then have a static ip.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Oct 08, 2008 1:12 pm

ottyacat wrote:Exetel's HSPA connections will be migrated to their own network very soon and will then have a static ip.
That will just leave us poor Vodafone/Exetel customers. I would love to migrate onto a HSPA plan, but until Optarse improve coverage in my area it won't be possible. :(

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:14 pm

Mark said ... "If Fring does not work ..."

Is there instructions somewhere that we can test Fring to see if it DOES work first?

Was anyone involved the 3G testing able to successfully test sending SMS via Exetel's sms service? Or only VoIP?

I'd REALLY like to be able to use and offer the M1 service as a complete Mobile service, but without SMS this is not possible.

Thanx