Sending SMS

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
peterh_oz

Re: Sending SMS

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 12:17 pm

This page says:

You can also have outbound mobile calls and SMSs blocked and use Exetel's VoIP service to make calls and send SMSs by using fring.

Please advise how ...

Thanx

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Thu Oct 09, 2008 1:17 pm

Yes, Peter

That was my original question, which has not been answered directly.

However, the short answer is: Fring can't do it.

In another thread (http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... a&start=15), an Exetel staff member has said:
by William M on Tue Oct 07, 2008 7:59 am
... I can see the advantages of having SMS utilised through the HSPA data-only plans, similar to VoIP and from my knowledge, there had been discussions with Fring in regards to developing an SMS application similar to their VoIP application though nothing as of yet has come to fruition.

Cheers Will.
In this thread, site administrator Raymond has said:
We will develop a web based SMS function, which allow you to send SMS from HSPA device. Your HSPA IP address will be able to identify your account. I will publish this function when it is done later Monday afternoon.
To date, the only application that is designed (and is available and works) to send SMS via Exetel's service through a phone using the M1 plan is my web-based application (http://ipsms.tellingbone.info).

If you have access to an Exetel ADSL account with an SMS service, you can test this application on any internet connection before you commit to buying the M1 plan (or the new phone to handle it).

Just set up a username and password for Exetel's "SMS API Access" in the Members' Facilities of your existing account, and you can use them to test this web application.

All the best

Mark

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Oct 09, 2008 3:55 pm

So can I assume the page which states it IS available (as per my previous post) will be changed IMMEDIATELY as it is seriously misleading? It was probably an oversight but it is now a KNOWN oversight so should be changed asap.

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:41 pm

peterh_oz wrote:So can I assume the page which states it IS available (as per my previous post) will be changed IMMEDIATELY as it is seriously misleading? It was probably an oversight but it is now a KNOWN oversight so should be changed asap.
SMS can be sent from an HSPA mobile telephone using the Exetel VoIP service.

hornet48

Post by hornet48 » Thu Oct 09, 2008 8:56 pm

When I got my HSPA C3 service up and going yesterday, one of the first things I did was to (successfully) send an sms from my laptop using the exesms software.

I have also been able to use a specially prepared "sms" webpage which uses exetels soap to send sms messages.

So its possible to send a sms over HSPA.

Am I right in saying that the above posts are discussing sending sms from a mobile phone (one of the HSPA M plans)?

If so, couldn't you just setup the special sms webpage somewhere, surf to it from the mobile and send a message?

Regards,

H.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:02 am

ForumAdmin wrote:SMS can be sent from an HSPA mobile telephone using the Exetel VoIP service.
How?

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 2:36 am

peterh_oz wrote:
ForumAdmin wrote:SMS can be sent from an HSPA mobile telephone using the Exetel VoIP service.
How?
via the web I would expect, login to the members section and send from there https://www.exetel.com.au/members/send_ ... ink=link05#

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Fri Oct 10, 2008 11:22 am

jok11n wrote:
peterh_oz wrote:
How?
via the web I would expect, login to the members section and send from there https://www.exetel.com.au/members/send_ ... ink=link05#
That's like saying "yahoo messenger is available from an Exetel HSDPA device" simply by logging onto the web and going to the java messenger program. No, that doesn't count. SMS from a web page is available from ANY web-based device, not just Exetel HSDPA devices, as long as you have an Exetel account.

Hopefully someone from Exetel will advise shortly how to do it from the phone, and it will be a phone-based system. I can't advise people to log onto a web page just to send an sms. It needs to be from fring or similar, or by changing the SMS mailbox, otherwise it should simply be stated that "web-based SMS is available for HSDPA account-holders". The current statement that it is available "using the Exetel VoIP service" is not correct because it DOESN'T use the VoIP service.

Hopefully we'll get advice soon ...

Cheers

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 12:30 pm

I think the link that Jok11n meant is: https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/send_web ... ink=link05. The link he gave is not HSPA and won't accept an HSPA logon.

I cannot understand what is meant by this statement:
SMS can be sent from an HSPA mobile telephone using the Exetel VoIP service.
In my dictionary, VOIP means Voice Over Internet Protocol. Exetel's VOIP service exists quite separately to HSPA and does not include appear to me to have any mechanism to send an SMS.

Exetel's HSPA implementation of VOIP is through Fring software, and it does not support SMS.

How can you send an SMS by voice?
Can a SIP server be used to send an SMS?
What client software is available and recommended to do this with the Exetel service?

So far, I am very happy and impressed with the pricing and performance of Exetel's HSPA service, especially since the layer change. I appreciate the ability to use my phone (with either the C SIM o the M SIM) to make VOIP calls, to browse the internet and as a modem for my laptop.

The service really sells itself.

It is a pity that Exetel has spoilt this with imprecise, misleading hyperbole in their public statements, and that they continue to choose not to clarify these with a specific statement of their claims - so that everyone is in no doubt what it is they mean.

All the best

Mark

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:20 pm

Send/Receiving SMS from HSPA:
1. Visit https://www.exetel.com.au/sendsms using the HSPA SIM and simply enter the destination number and message and click Send.
2. The sending number is from HSPA mobile number.
3. You can receive SMS from your inbox via mobile SIM.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:27 pm

Got it, after first getting a 404 error.

So it seems the answer is as Peter suggested: SMS will be web-based outgoing, and normal SMS incoming.

All the best

Mark
Last edited by MarkSnell on Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:43 pm, edited 2 times in total.

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:29 pm

I got "Unauthorised access"from that link. :shock:

raymond
Exetel Staff

Post by raymond » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:36 pm

ssyt99 wrote:I got "Unauthorised access"from that link. :shock:
You can only use from your HSPA or Exetel ADSL connection.

ssyt99

Post by ssyt99 » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:37 pm

OK :oops:

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Fri Oct 10, 2008 1:58 pm

MarkSnell wrote:I think the link that Jok11n meant is: https://www.exetel.com.au/hspa/send_web ... ink=link05. The link he gave is not HSPA and won't accept an HSPA logon.
I was just taking a punt, I don't have access to check it at the moment, I see there is a link to be able to do it though