Sending SMS

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
closey

Re: Sending SMS

Post by closey » Sat Oct 18, 2008 2:52 pm

I've noticed an address book like on the sendsms page now, but oddly it show a list of phone numbers that have no relevance to my exetel SMS address book! It's looking promising though, will have to wait and see what happens with it.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Sat Oct 18, 2008 3:05 pm

They look like the mobile numbers of the Exetel staff.

Quick, grab them!

All the best

Mark

tin

Post by tin » Sat Oct 25, 2008 3:20 pm

MarkSnell wrote:They look like the mobile numbers of the Exetel staff.
Now that's useful test data :mrgreen:
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Sat Oct 25, 2008 4:01 pm

I've been using the exesms application on my eeepc. It works great combined with the optus software (optus for receiving and exesms for sending). I have a C3 plan so it can't send sms, but the exetel sms is way cheaper than an optus sms would be anyway so its perfect.

It even works when I'm not logged on to the exetel hspa service. The sim in the modem still receives SMS and I can send out on the net from my home ISP.

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:30 pm

vk3xem wrote:
MarkSnell wrote:Well, here it is - http://sms.tellingbone.info/SMS4exeSetup.zip

The first phone-based application for the Exetel SMS service.
Good stuff Mark, any chance of porting it to the Symbian or J2ME platforms?
Just announced exeSMS application for mobile handsets.

Beta only, made using J2ME compatible with Symbian.

http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=29507

I am working on compatibility for other platforms (sony ericsson) at present.
-David

tin

Post by tin » Tue Nov 11, 2008 3:43 pm

MarkSnell wrote:INSTALLATION
- The executable file in the zip file runs on your desktop and installs the application using an ActiveSync connection to your Windows Mobile touchphone.
Any chance of a cab file only download too? I hate having to use that method... First I need a Windows box, and then I find it leaves crap all over the place (OK, usually only in the ActiveSync dir, but why do I need it there when it won't run on the desktop?)
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Fri Nov 14, 2008 3:43 pm

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Tue Dec 09, 2008 7:19 pm

What's the minimum requirement for the CAB? Wouldn't run on my O2 XDA Mini (WM 2003 I think) - complained about out of date .NET framework.

Keep up the good work tho!

B

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Wed Dec 10, 2008 8:10 am

The CAB requires .NET Compact Framework v2.0, which should run on WM 2003.

Search the Microsoft website for .NET Compact Framework Redistributable downloads to find the most recent version supported by your phone.

All the best

Mark

davidw89

Post by davidw89 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:45 am

What about for Nokia phones such as the E51 which runs Symbian 60 v3?

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Thu Dec 25, 2008 9:56 am

See this thread for Nokia phones: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=29507

All the best

Mark

tin

Post by tin » Sat Dec 27, 2008 6:31 pm

I don't spose the PocketPC app is going to be updated anytime soon, is it?
Specifically, is there any chance of saving the API details and using the phone's contacts for recipient numbers?

I know it's a spare time project, so I don't intend to sound demanding... Just curious as to whether there are plans or not.

MarkSnell

Post by MarkSnell » Sat Dec 27, 2008 9:27 pm

tin wrote:I don't spose the PocketPC app is going to be updated anytime soon, is it?
Specifically, is there any chance of saving the API details and using the phone's contacts for recipient numbers?
I am always open to suggested improvements. (How soon I'll get around to them is another matter!)

Unless I misunderstand your request, the functions you want are already available.

Just to clarify - I have produced two applications for sending SMS via Exetel's service, which are documented previoulsy in this thread.

1. A web-based application, which is accessible from any phone (Pocket PC or not) with an HTML browser. It comes in two versions: http://sms.tellingbone.info and http://ipsms.tellingbone.info.

The web-based application is designed so that it can be accessed from a number of points - different phones (GPRS and HSPA), desktop PCs, internet cafes etc. The contact list and message templates (and, in the case of IPSMS, the message history) are centrally located (on the tellingbone.info website) so that these are available and consistent wherever you might be.

2. A Windows Mobile application which at this stage runs on most, but not all, Pocket PC phones. It's available for download from http://sms.tellingbone.info/SMS4exeSetup.zip. There are also CAB files available.

The Windows Mobile (Pocket PC) application is entirely phone-based.

Both the web-based IPSMS application and the Windows Mobile application already store login and sender details. And the Windows Mobile application already allows you to select from the phone's contact list to provide the recipient number.

While I do not have any official update program, some of the possibilities include:

1. Getting the Windows Mobile application to work reliably on QVGA phones
2. Extending Web and Windows versions to take greater advantage of the Exetel service (eg longer messages, multiple recipients)
3. Offering SOAP-compliant SMS web services
4. Developing a Java version (!)
5. Encouraging the formation of an open source developers' forum, which could cover the gamut from desktop applications (al a eXeSMS) to web and phone applications

To some extent the program will depend on demand.

All the best

Mark

dagg3r

Post by dagg3r » Sun Jan 04, 2009 8:03 pm

Anyone tried using the app on windows mobile? It works but the boxes are squished together for username/psw, and the TO box. Anyway to fix it. Here is a screenshot I asked other friends who have the htc Diamond and I have the touch HD both running windows mobile 6.1 same problem. Below is a screenshot. HOpe you guys can help :D
Attachments
Screen02.jpg
Screen02.jpg (21.48 KiB) Viewed 6052 times

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Mon Jan 12, 2009 11:06 am

It displays normally for me on my i780 (320x320 resolution, realvga software installed).