HSPA FAQ

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Need2No

Re: HSPA FAQ

Post by Need2No » Mon Nov 03, 2008 12:52 pm

barryron wrote:I have Bigpond account using a BP3 Maxon (Minimax) USB modem. Could I buy a Exetel HSPA sim card and use it in the Bigpond modem? And would there be software involved?
Barry
I have just got a Maxon BP3-EXT modem to work on Exetel HSPA service. It only took me about 30 minutes to convince Bigpond to give me the unlock code for my BP modem.
I just followed this whirlpool thread to get my modem to work.
http://forums.whirlpool.net.au/forum-re ... 49425.html

Regards

barryron

Post by barryron » Fri Nov 14, 2008 4:59 am

Thanks NeedtoNo. I had no luck with Bigpond but I unlocked it with dc-unlocker for 15euros (roughly $40) which is still ok.

Munka

Post by Munka » Wed Nov 26, 2008 10:57 am

Greetings, I signed up for and activated the M1 HA data+mobile sim, am I missing the obvious?
I cannot make mobile calls, this message "the number you have dialed is not available from this service", to any number I dial.
Am I supposed to activate the mobile side as well?
Or
Have I mistakenly been sent a data only sim?
Feeling a bit dense, and need help.
Munka

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:10 am

Munka wrote:Greetings, I signed up for and activated the M1 HA data+mobile sim, am I missing the obvious?
I cannot make mobile calls, this message "the number you have dialed is not available from this service", to any number I dial.
Or
did you add the mobile service at the same time, the mobile plan choices were listed below the HSPA options, if you did then best to email your query so they can sort it out

Munka

Post by Munka » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:12 am

jok11n wrote:
Munka wrote:Greetings, I signed up for and activated the M1 HA data+mobile sim, am I missing the obvious?
Or
did you add the mobile service at the same time, the mobile plan choices were listed below the HSPA options, if you did then best to email your query so they can sort it out
Yes and it was confirmed in the registration email, HA plan.
Munka

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:25 am

Munka wrote:
jok11n wrote:
Or
Yes and it was confirmed in the registration email, HA plan.
then best to contact them directly and I'm sure they'll be able to sort it out

was it a churn or a new number? I know churns can take longer to complete, did you also get your confirmation email that the service was connected and running, I didn't get mine until a day later but it did come through

Munka

Post by Munka » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:37 am

New number.
There was some delay with activation, and yes I have the confirmation email, which also lists the HA service, anyway email sent, thanks for your help.
Munka

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Nov 26, 2008 11:38 am

Munka wrote:New number.
There was some delay with activation, and yes I have the confirmation email, which also lists the HA service, anyway email sent, thanks for your help.
I'm sure they'll sort it out soon enough :)

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:44 am

Hi :)

I think the FAQ and the Device Compatibility list pages need some work.

The compatible device page makes no comment as to the difference between 900MHz and 2100MHz devices so a stray visitor will probably just assume that all those handsets will work wherever they are.
Q9. My Handset is not on the list, can it still work?

A. We advise to use compliant handsets; however, if you do wish to use your current handset you will have to make sure it is a 3G, 2100MHZ UTMS supported handset.
Only half true. This is of no use to regional customers which is probably where much of your demand will come from. (No mention of 900MHz only areas.)

I'd fix it myself if I could :) Perhaps the FAQ needs wikification? :)

Munka

Post by Munka » Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:18 am

MCCMikey wrote:Hi :)

I think the FAQ and the Device Compatibility list pages need some work.

The compatible device page makes no comment as to the difference between 900MHz and 2100MHz devices so a stray visitor will probably just assume that all those handsets will work wherever they are.
Q9. My Handset is not on the list, can it still work?

A. We advise to use compliant handsets; however, if you do wish to use your current handset you will have to make sure it is a 3G, 2100MHZ UTMS supported handset.
Only half true. This is of no use to regional customers which is probably where much of your demand will come from. (No mention of 900MHz only areas.)

I'd fix it myself if I could :) Perhaps the FAQ needs wikification? :)
I echo this call, on the compatibility page, insinuating by definition that all the handset's listed are compatible, there are handsets that are half compatible either 900MHz or 2100MHz, and there are handset's that are 850/1900MHz?? Are these handset's actually compatible to receive HSDPA via Exetel?
At least if it could be stated clearly on that page, that HSDPA is delivered via either 900 or 2100MHz.
Munka

mussed1

Post by mussed1 » Thu Mar 05, 2009 9:46 am

:oops: Hi, I have followed link instructions to enable exetel1 HSPA but the modem fails to find the Optus signal. The modem stays in the searching stage. when I checked the software it was searching in the 850mhz and 2.1ghz bands; is this correct.
Anyone any ideas where I may be going astray. thanks for any assistance.

ahas

Post by ahas » Thu Mar 05, 2009 10:08 am

mussed1 wrote::oops: Hi, I have followed link instructions to enable exetel1 HSPA but the modem fails to find the Optus signal. The modem stays in the searching stage. when I checked the software it was searching in the 850mhz and 2.1ghz bands; is this correct.
Anyone any ideas where I may be going astray. thanks for any assistance.
Sounds like you may be in a 900Mhz area & your modem is not compatible

You need a modem with 900/2100Mhz UTMS/WCDMA/HSPA capabilities

Telstra Next G uses 850 Mhz, Optus / Exetel uses 900 or 2100 Mhz depending on the area

thomashouseman

Post by thomashouseman » Thu Mar 05, 2009 11:34 am

Can you add this to the FAQ please?

Q. I'm getting prompted to enter a "SP CODE". What do I do?

A. If you get prompted for this, just type in "BROADBAND" and it should then configure the exetel1 APN for you automagically...

or words to that effect...

Thanks,

T.

mussed1

Post by mussed1 » Fri Mar 06, 2009 10:38 am

Thanks ahas,

I was in Bendigo and have just been adnitted to the Austin hospital in Heidleberg; I tried here with the same result, any idea what frequency is used by optus in this area. :D

ahas

Post by ahas » Fri Mar 06, 2009 11:29 am

mussed1 wrote:Thanks ahas,

I was in Bendigo and have just been adnitted to the Austin hospital in Heidleberg; I tried here with the same result, any idea what frequency is used by optus in this area. :D
you can check addresses on www2.optus.com.au
Yellow areas are 2100 with maybe some 900 (check for any brown areas)
Brown areas are 900

Bendigo is both/either 2100/900 depending on where in Bendigo, I would imagine Heidleberg would be 2100 but need to check on coverage map shown above