ExeSMS application for Mobiles

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
David_h
Exetel Staff

ExeSMS application for Mobiles

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 2:23 pm

Hello,

We have received here a number of requests to create a way to send SMS natively on a mobile phone through our SMS facility and we are proud to announce the open beta for just such an application.

The ExeSMS application will allow you to use our SMS facility on a Nokia mobile phone so long as you have a valid SMS API username and password.

To date the application has been tested on the N95 and N96 mobile phones without any issue, but if you do encounter an issue with this application please email me at

davidh@exetel.com.au

How to install the ExeSMS

The application can be sent to your phone by going to the user facilities at http://www.exetel.com.au

The form will appear under the HSPA section on the left. Click on the form and enter your mobile number to have an SMS containing the link sent to you.

When you receive the SMS click the link and the application will begin installing.

How to use the ExeSMS

Using ExeSMS is almost exactly the same as sending an SMS normally, but it does require some setitngs.

When first installed you will need to configure the username, password and the number you want to send from. You can do this by going into the settings menu.

Once configured, you will simply need to add the person you want to send the SMS to and enter the message and select send.

If you receive a warning that states the application will access the internet, you should allow it as this is the way the SMS is sent.

Feedback

Any feedback that you have is appreciated and can either be posted here in this forum or by sending to me directly at davidh@exetel.com.au

Planned Improvements
-Adding Message History
-Send SMS to multiple recipients

Known Compatible Handsets
This release NOKIA ONLY
N95
N95 - 8 gig
N96
e65 - Tested by JaGuR
N78 - Tested by Closey
e71 - Tested by Biscuits
6121 - Tested by cubic
Last edited by David_h on Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:47 pm, edited 7 times in total.
-David

peterh_oz

Re: ExeSMS application for Mobiles

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:23 pm

Great news, but unfortunately it is not compatible with nokia 6120 (says "Application not compatible with phone").

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 3:34 pm

That's unfortunate,

I'm currently working to increase compatibility across some older handsets as well as non-nokia handsets.

I'll post here again once I've solved those compatibility issues.
-David

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:11 pm

David_h wrote:
How to install the ExeSMS

The application can be sent to your phone by going to the user facilities at http://www.exetel.com.au

The form will appear under the HSPA section on the left. Click on the form and enter your mobile number to have an SMS containing the link sent to you.
I have two active HSPA SIMs. One "C" and one "M". The only entry under the HSPA options are Terminate Service and Terminate Status. Am I looking in the wrong place or has the application been pulled?

Thanks

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:16 pm

Currently if you're logging into the adsl user facilities rather than the HSPA user facilities then the link will not be shown.

I am having this added to the adsl user facilities now.

It will be shown in the SMS section under both.
-David

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:24 pm

In the HSPA user facilities it is actually under SMS not HSPA (Setup SMS over HSPA Mobile).

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:36 pm

Ah, yes, that's what I meant.
-David

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:42 pm

peterh_oz wrote:In the HSPA user facilities it is actually under SMS not HSPA (Setup SMS over HSPA Mobile).
Thanks for that Peter. I did look under SMS, but for some reason I was looking for a link to click.
Anyway, it's a moot point as the application reports that it's not compatible with my Nokia N95.

Thanks

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 4:45 pm

Have you tried updating the N95 to the latest version of it's software?
-David

closey

Post by closey » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:18 pm

<snip>

Looks like the addressbook link in DOES work :) ... Just have to make sure you hit 'Options' instead of pressing in the Navi key... maybe the same menu could be brought up to add contact if you are in the number selection field?

Need2No

Post by Need2No » Thu Nov 06, 2008 6:47 pm

David_h wrote:Have you tried updating the N95 to the latest version of it's software?
Just double checked version number. Yes, I have the latest version.
Even tried downloading application to my PC and used Nokia PC Suite to install it. Stilled failed.

Thanks

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:26 pm

Need2No wrote:
David_h wrote:Have you tried updating the N95 to the latest version of it's software?
Even tried downloading application to my PC and used Nokia PC Suite to install it. Stilled failed.

Thanks
That is quite strange it was tested before release.

I do have a more up to date version of the application that should resolve the issue, however I cannot upload it to the necessary location from here. If you pm me an email address I will send you the most up to date version which should fix the problem.
Last edited by David_h on Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
-David

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:28 pm

closey wrote:<snip>

Looks like the addressbook link in DOES work :) ... Just have to make sure you hit 'Options' instead of pressing in the Navi key... maybe the same menu could be brought up to add contact if you are in the number selection field?
Yes, this is one of the issues I'm working on at this time, I'm sorry for the confusion.
-David

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:54 pm

Need2No wrote:

Thanks
I've dispatched the latest version to you in an email. Let me know of any issues you encounter with it.
-David

JaGuR

Post by JaGuR » Thu Nov 06, 2008 7:58 pm

Have a Nokia e65 would love to test it if it is compatiable

Cheers

Ok doesn't seem to be compatible :(
Last edited by JaGuR on Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.