ExeSMS application for Mobiles

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
David_h
Exetel Staff

Re: ExeSMS application for Mobiles

Post by David_h » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:09 pm

Biscuits wrote:Working great settings saving, very happy.
Nokia e71
Thanks for the feedback.

I'm glad we got that worked out.
-David

cubic

Post by cubic » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:40 pm

David, thanks for the app. You can add Nokia 6121 to the compatibility list - works exactly as described. :)
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Fri Dec 05, 2008 4:46 pm

cubic wrote:David, thanks for the app. You can add Nokia 6121 to the compatibility list - works exactly as described. :)
Hi cubic,

Thanks for letting me know, I will add it now.
-David

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Dec 05, 2008 5:28 pm

Working great David, thanks! :D
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Dec 05, 2008 8:54 pm

Hi David,

I downloaded the new version and now the E61i performs the same as the E71 did before on entering the contacts (so this is a change- on the E61i- so now it is consistent with the E71). Here are some comments:

A. Overall a great app. It will be better when there are not all the questions about "Ok to read user data", access point, certificate etc. I know these are on the list.

B. It would be great if the contacts worked like other (Nokia) apps. For instance, when you go into contacts via one of the two methods, it would be good if you could (for instance) hit the "p" key and go immediately to those entries starting with "p". Likewise, if I put "Paul" in the "To:" field, it would be good if it did a search on that (whether number or name) when pressing the "Enter key". By that, I mean the centre/select key on the Nokia E series. These are only small usability items.

C. On the E61i, the new version does NOT go into number mode as the default in the "To:" field. Have not had time to try on the E71 yet, but I presume it does as there are a couple of other people on the forum with E71s who would have noticed if it was not working. This is not a big deal as far as I am concerned.

Best Regards,
Dave

David_h
Exetel Staff

Post by David_h » Sat Dec 06, 2008 2:07 am

doggy wrote:Hi David,

I downloaded the new version and now the E61i performs the same as the E71 did before on entering the contacts (so this is a change- on the E61i- so now it is consistent with the E71). Here are some comments:

A. Overall a great app. It will be better when there are not all the questions about "Ok to read user data", access point, certificate etc. I know these are on the list.

B. It would be great if the contacts worked like other (Nokia) apps. For instance, when you go into contacts via one of the two methods, it would be good if you could (for instance) hit the "p" key and go immediately to those entries starting with "p". Likewise, if I put "Paul" in the "To:" field, it would be good if it did a search on that (whether number or name) when pressing the "Enter key". By that, I mean the centre/select key on the Nokia E series. These are only small usability items.

C. On the E61i, the new version does NOT go into number mode as the default in the "To:" field. Have not had time to try on the E71 yet, but I presume it does as there are a couple of other people on the forum with E71s who would have noticed if it was not working. This is not a big deal as far as I am concerned.

Best Regards,
Dave
Hi Dave,

Thanks for the feedback, I'm glad you're finding it useful and that it's working for you.

In relation to your comments,

A) working on it and it should be fixed soon.

B) The first part will take some doing but this is something I'm working on. The second part I'll add to the list, but it might be a while before we see it.

C) If that's the case, it may be a device specific quirk. I'll see what I can do to fix that
-David

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:13 am

I have installed it on an old E61 (Exetel Vodafone) and a not quite so old E51 (NextG Telstra).

Here's the results.

1 - Both complain of an untrusted site certificate. The E51 can be told to ignore this and not whinge in future. The older E61 cannot. (Unless perhaps a certificate is manually added...)

2 - Both require about four or five clicks of OK to acknowledge access to user data, access point, etc. There aren't any settings in App Manager to always allow.

3 - The older E61 defaults to text entry in the number field. On the E61 this can be fixed pressing the blue arrow button twice to lock into numeric entry, as this model has a full QWERTY keyboard.

Works well apart from those tedious key presses :) Fits nicely on Active Standby screen.

Cheers, Mike.

dagg3r

Post by dagg3r » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:16 am

Does anyone know how to get this working on windows mobile 6.1? or any alternatives.. Cheers

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:49 am

I don't think you can run it on WM yet. Only alternative way I can think of is to install a VNC (remote desktop) application on your phone, and use it to remote control a home PC. However, the data usage to do this probably cancels out the SMS price saving.

bingggo

Post by bingggo » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:01 am

There are links to a Windows Mobile equivalent here: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.ph ... 4&p=229075

davidw89

Post by davidw89 » Thu Dec 25, 2008 12:59 am

Works fine on e51, though it keeps asking you random crap like accept user data and stuff

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Thu Dec 25, 2008 2:26 am

C is not being sent (ie SMS's are being sent as Merry hristmas, missing the C), according to the message archive when I chech in the user facilities online (sent via your java app, v0.95, Nokia 6120c).

Also, any chance the To field can be expanded to take more than 6 mobile numbers? Make it 500 Chars if possible, handy for Christmas & New Year type broadcasts.

Cheers

doggy

Post by doggy » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:08 am

No problem with Cs or any other characters when I use either of my Nokias and exeSMS or the PC version of exeSMS. So, it may be localised to your phone.

Regds,
Dave

MCCMikey

Post by MCCMikey » Thu Dec 25, 2008 7:07 pm

davidw89 wrote:Works fine on e51, though it keeps asking you random crap like accept user data and stuff
Yes that's a bit of a pest. However, you can hit the minimise button after sending your first SMS so it will continue running in the background. The next SMS won't have quite as many clicks. (Same on the e61) The same trick is true for gmail and Opera, although with Opera you have to click the Home button as there's no built in hide or minimise option.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Dec 25, 2008 8:40 pm

peterh_oz wrote:C is not being sent (ie SMS's are being sent as Merry hristmas, missing the C), according to the message archive when I chech in the user facilities online (sent via your java app, v0.95, Nokia 6120c).Cheers
I have had the same problem. I sent an SMS yesterday and it was apparently sent as "Merry hristmas" instead of "Merry Christmas" - I was sure I had spelt Christmas correctly, but when faced with the result I thought I must indeed have omitted the "C".

On an SMS today the same thing happened :? Then I read your post and decided I'm not going crazy after all :lol: By the way, neither of the 2 SMSs had any other "c"s (upper or lower case) in them. I checked back to an earlier SMS and found a lower-case "c" but no upper case ones, so I don't know if the problem has always been there or not.

I'm using exeSMS on a Nokia N96.

I also get more than one confirmation request to access the contacts list which is a bit of a pain. I have also found that if I try to cancel opening exeSMS, I get even more confirmation requests (and I click "cancel" every time) - then it eventually ends up in the program anyway, rather than exiting. If you open exeSMS by mistake, it's actually faster to let it connect and then choose Options -> Exit :lol:

Apart from these little glitches it works well :D

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal