HSPA Signup Question

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
monsoon

HSPA Signup Question

Post by monsoon » Sun Mar 15, 2009 4:54 pm

How long would it take to get connected once I sign up to HSPA? I already have a 3 E169g unlocked modem so I guess I just have to wait for a sim card to be sent out and then activated!

Also how will I be billed, if I start/activate on the 25th then would I be charged a smaller amount for the rest of this month and a new bill starting on the 1st of April?

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: HSPA Signup Question

Post by Dazzled » Sun Mar 15, 2009 6:35 pm

Re billing and how it is calculated, go to http://www.exetel.com.au/a_support_billing.php There is a link there.

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:06 am

Dazzled wrote:Re billing and how it is calculated, go to http://www.exetel.com.au/a_support_billing.php There is a link there.
thanks,

I would also like to know if I signed up can I pause my account and would this incur any fees? What I mean is for example if I ran the service through April, could I put it on hold for 3 months for May, June & July and resume the service for July? I'm thinking about going overseas for a few months at the end of April.

Edit: to explain further. I would be joining on a month by month basic, not a 12 0r 24 month plan etc. I'm wondering if I stop the automatic monthly payments for my bill and stop them for a few months & restart when i get back from overseas, would this occur any fee?

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:20 pm

No, the account cannot be put on hold as we get charged by our supplier even if the service is not used.

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:56 pm

shermanf wrote:No, the account cannot be put on hold as we get charged by our supplier even if the service is not used.
Ok, so then I would stop my service and when I come back I start a new one and this would incur the $25.00 Service Activation Charge? Is this correct?

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Sat Mar 21, 2009 11:43 am

I'm still waiting to get my answer before I sign up and it has taken a long time. I now see since this has taken so long that the plans have dropped, now the 10 gig plan is only 8 gigs!

ForumAdmin

Post by ForumAdmin » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:49 am

monsoon wrote:
shermanf wrote:No, the account cannot be put on hold as we get charged by our supplier even if the service is not used.
Ok, so then I would stop my service and when I come back I start a new one and this would incur the $25.00 Service Activation Charge? Is this correct?
Yes - if you cancel the account you would ned to apply for a new account which would cost you a new sign up fee for the ne sim/postage.

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Sun Mar 22, 2009 1:37 pm

Could the OP switch to the C plans during the low months?
Subject to using it once every 2-3 months as required?

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:40 am

Yes for data plans without any contract and there needs to be some usage every 60 days, even opening up a website will be fine.
peterh_oz wrote:Could the OP switch to the C plans during the low months?
Subject to using it once every 2-3 months as required?

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 11:41 am

Hi,
thanks for the info.

I have been waiting since last saturday when I signed up for my HSPA BYOM plan and have not had anything happen yet. My current Internet service with 3 runs out today so I'm getting worried now as I won't have any Internet. I had got the impression I would recieve my sim card the next day but my credit card hasn't even been charged yet so I'm really wondering how long this is going to take?

shermanf
Exetel Staff

Post by shermanf » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:05 pm

It takes approx 4 working days from the date of application to receive the USIM or USB modem, please see http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-faq.php

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Wed Mar 25, 2009 2:37 pm

shermanf wrote:It takes approx 4 working days from the date of application to receive the USIM or USB modem, please see http://www.exetel.com.au/residential-hspa-faq.php
ok I see, thanks for letting me know and I hope it gets here tommmorow then (thursday)

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:38 pm

Hi, I got my sim card earlier today but have been busy all day and now support is closed but I have no idea how to start using Exetel as there are no instructions in the letter I got with the sim card. All it tells me is my user name and password but no instructions on how to setup and start using my modem with exetel? I'm sure it is fairly easy but what is the service details to use for the connection? I'm really surprised nothing was provided! I installed it and it was activated but the guy said it would take several hours for the activation to take effect but I had to go out all day and now I had to go down to an Internet cafe to write this message :( there is also absolutely no instruction on the website, at least that are not found in the menu or support pages.

Gidget
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Gidget » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:58 pm

Since you have an existing USB modem I presume it has already auto-installed the necessary software onto your computer. The factory default settings should be correct for Exetel so all you should need to do is change the APN to 'exetel1' (all in lowercase) - and, of course, save the new setting.

Gidget
Log a fault ticket here
or call Exetel VOIP numbers (02) 8030 1000 or 1300 788 141 (log faults 24x7)
Exetel Support Portal

monsoon

Post by monsoon » Fri Mar 27, 2009 9:46 am

Gidget wrote:Since you have an existing USB modem I presume it has already auto-installed the necessary software onto your computer. The factory default settings should be correct for Exetel so all you should need to do is change the APN to 'exetel1' (all in lowercase) - and, of course, save the new setting.

Gidget
thanks Gidget and I set that up but I had to wait until this morning and I just called before and got the number I needed to enter *99# as well. The exetel1 was at the bottom of the letter I see too.

Now I have connected but the support guy was having a problem showing me how to make it more automated with an icon ect. I can't use the 3 software as it seems to not work properly with exetel. Now I just need to work out how to make an icon that I can click so I can connect easly as the icon I made from the support requires I enter *99# each time. Does anyone have an idea how to do this, I'm sure it's simple?

Edit: I would also like to know the details to set up my pop email for thunderbird?

I use Vista too