Using my Mobile Number for VoIP ?

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
JaGuR

Using my Mobile Number for VoIP ?

Post by JaGuR » Tue Jun 09, 2009 5:24 pm

Is it possible to setup my mobile number or even my normal home number as the sending number, so that people receiving the call will see my mobile number instead of seeing my VoIP number ?

I make a lot of VoIP calls through Pennytel VoIP just becuase they let me set my mobile number as the originating call source, I need this for my business, and if it was possible with exetel VoIP, I would switch over in a jiffy

Cheers

cubic

Re: Using my Mobile Number for VoIP ?

Post by cubic » Tue Jun 09, 2009 10:56 pm

The question comes up about once a month. So far, the answer's no.
http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=31432
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Jun 09, 2009 11:32 pm

Verizon provides VoIP for Exetel and they have some weird arse policy that they claim makes it illegal to set up caller Id in that way.

It would be interesting to see if Exetel has made any progress in trying to get them to change this dumb arse policy. It's not as if we want to set up random numbers for Caller Id, just like our web based SMS there has to be verification and authentication before we can use our mobile number for it.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

peterh_oz

Post by peterh_oz » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:18 am

It is against US law, but Verizon hasn't realised that this is an Australian service and therefore falls under Australian law (where it is legal!).

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:28 am

Is it possible to setup my mobile number or even my normal home number as the sending number, so that people receiving the call will see my mobile number instead of seeing my VoIP number ?
We will ask Verizon again but I'm sure their view hasn't changed in 6 weeks when they were last queried about this.

What is so inconvenient about called recipients viewing your VoIP number?

cubic

Post by cubic » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:50 am

ExetelVoice wrote:What is so inconvenient about called recipients viewing your VoIP number?
The inconvenience comes in when they try to call you back on the VoIP number. To take that call while you're on the road you need to keep your mobile phone permanently registered to the exetel sip server, which drains the battery. And if you're using the same VoIP account for a fixed (ADSL) ATA, you also need to unregister / disconnect that while you're out. On the plus side though, it's cheaper for the caller.

Alternatively, you could forward the call to your mobile number but then both you and the caller are paying for the one call.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Wed Jun 10, 2009 12:23 pm

ExetelVoice wrote:What is so inconvenient about called recipients viewing your VoIP number?
Often you do not want to give out multiple phone numbers to others. Creating a certain level of privacy is important to many of us for many reasons. Levels of availability is also important in our busy lives.

I personally would like to have the VoIP number available to close friends and family, then I can place my phone in offline mode and only accept those calls at certain times.

I would press the point with Verizon that strict controls will be in place on what numbers can be used for Caller ID, to ensure it cannot be abused. Verifying the alternative Caller ID number is very important if we are to have any chance of having this option.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

JaGuR

Post by JaGuR » Thu Jun 11, 2009 10:15 am

Thanks guys,

Exetel, I would really love you to chase this option up, as I use my pennytel account for nearly all my calls because of they have this feature, but would love to switch all of my services over to Exetel as hate not having everything together :cry:

Is there no other workaround ?

Cheers

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:56 pm

This afternoon I recieved an email from Chris at Exetel to advise that several features have now been activated for VoIP, the most important one is Caller ID masking - Ability to mask your outgoing VoIP number with a mobile number.

This is a fantastic step forward for VoIP and I would like to thank Chris and the others at Exetel that followed this issue for us! :D

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

wadeholmes

Post by wadeholmes » Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:27 am

vk3xem wrote:Caller ID masking - Ability to mask your outgoing VoIP number with a mobile number.
good result - where / how do we set this up? and will it be for all voip calls / programs (eg exevoip, native nokia, calling from my laptop etc) or am I going to have to go into each program separately?

and what's next? exevoip finished? things are happening at exetel!!!

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Jul 19, 2009 7:52 pm

wadeholmes wrote:good result - where / how do we set this up? and will it be for all voip calls / programs (eg exevoip, native nokia, calling from my laptop etc) or am I going to have to go into each program separately?

and what's next? exevoip finished? things are happening at exetel!!!
No this isn't application specific, it is an option that is set up in you user facilities under VoIP. Basically I have set it to show my mobile phone number when I dial out rather than my VoIP number. This gives me flexibility, for example I don't have to give out the VoIP number to everyone, just family and close friends. I can then set my mobile phone to offline mode at home and only use VoIP when I don't want to be disturbed unless it is urgent.

So this will have no impact on eXeVoIP.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

JaGuR

Post by JaGuR » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:30 pm

Great News,

But I can not find where to find the setting under VoIP ?

Is this only available for some accounts ?

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 1:53 pm

Have you looked under "Change VOIP services" -> "Configure"?

JaGuR

Post by JaGuR » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:03 pm

cubic wrote:Have you looked under "Change VOIP services" -> "Configure"?

Yes,

Not sure what I am supposed to be looking for though.

I have, Enable / Disable Caller ID, but can't find any where to put a phone number :/

cubic

Post by cubic » Tue Aug 04, 2009 2:42 pm

Hmm, no, I don't see it there either. :oops: There were a lot of other new features added that are now available there, but not "Caller ID masking - Ability to mask your outgoing VoIP number with a mobile number" - just the basic Caller ID yes / no. Do you still see it vk3xem?