Using my Mobile Number for VoIP ?

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
vk3xem

Re: Using my Mobile Number for VoIP ?

Post by vk3xem » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:27 pm

The caller ID masking option appears to have disappeared. You may have to email Exetel Support.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

BenHolmes

Post by BenHolmes » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:16 pm

Has anyone had any luck getting this up and running? I sent an email off about it a couple of days ago and haven't had a reply thus far.

gabe

Post by gabe » Tue Sep 15, 2009 7:48 pm

I can't find this setting either. Has anyone been able to get this working?

BraM

Post by BraM » Sat Oct 03, 2009 9:37 am

gabe wrote:...Has anyone been able to get this working?
I have had this working previously, but it seems that Exetel has disabled this feature. I'm not sure when (I've only just noticed that my PSTN number is no longer shown when dialing out via VIOP).

This is due (no doubt) to the issues raised by Verizon.

Ravenous

Post by Ravenous » Sat Oct 03, 2009 11:02 am

BenHolmes wrote:Has anyone had any luck getting this up and running? I sent an email off about it a couple of days ago and haven't had a reply thus far.
BraM wrote:
gabe wrote:...Has anyone been able to get this working?
I have had this working previously, but it seems that Exetel has disabled this feature. I'm not sure when (I've only just noticed that my PSTN number is no longer shown when dialing out via VIOP).

This is due (no doubt) to the issues raised by Verizon.
I enabled the masking the day it was made available for both an ADSL account and a HSPA account. They are still working as intended displaying the mask number to the receiver at the time of writing this. The option to enable (or disable) masking has been removed as a feature at some point.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:29 am

I also set this feature the day it was made available and last I checked it was still functioning.

I don't see a problem with this feature and Verizon should be told to pull their heads in and stop forcing US law on Australia. They should be told that they are not the centre of the Universe as they believe.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

BraM

Post by BraM » Mon Nov 02, 2009 8:18 pm

Ravenous wrote:They are still working as intended displaying the mask number to the receiver at the time of writing this.
vk3xem wrote:...last I checked it was still functioning.
This is not the case for me.

I also enabled the feature as soon as it was available as our family & friends wouldn't answer a call marked "private number" (VoIP). Bus as soon as we masked with our PSTN number all was well.

All I know is that our VoIP number is back to being labeled as a "Private Number". I have no Idea when this occurred.

But I sure would like it back.

ExetelVoice
Exetel Staff

Post by ExetelVoice » Tue Nov 03, 2009 10:25 am

We allowed this for a while until we realised there is possibility for compromise and fraud.

One example is if someone knows the mobile of another person (easy to do) then they can use that as their caller ID mask and check that person's voicemail.

There are other examples.

We were not comfortable with these sorts of issues.

tin

Post by tin » Tue Nov 03, 2009 11:43 am

ExetelVoice wrote:We allowed this for a while until we realised there is possibility for compromise and fraud.
One example is if someone knows the mobile of another person (easy to do) then they can use that as their caller ID mask and check that person's voicemail.
Can it be enabled as an on/off option to mask with the associated mobile phone number for HSPA accounts? This is what most people using mobiles would be after, and would satisfy the above concerns as far as I can work out.
The above post is copyright, may be edited at any time, and should not be taken internally. Any breach of these terms may result in legal action or a sore tummy.

BraM

Post by BraM » Wed Nov 04, 2009 11:52 am

tin wrote:Can it be enabled as an on/off option...
Yes...

And couple the option with an appropriately worded disclaimer which - after reading - the customer ticks a check-box to accept any inherent risk.
ExetelVoice wrote:...we realised there is possibility for compromise and fraud.
This method enables you to maintain this very handy feature.
ExetelVoice wrote:There are other examples.
I can see some of the scenarios that you have alluded to - but I for one do not consider myself susceptible to them (I have no use for voice-mail for one example).

BTW.

Some of the previous posts have stated that this feature still works for them regardless of the option being removed from the member page. Why is this not the case for me? I did not disable the feature myself.

BenHolmes

Post by BenHolmes » Tue Nov 10, 2009 11:20 am

ExetelVoice wrote:We allowed this for a while until we realised there is possibility for compromise and fraud.

There are other examples.

We were not comfortable with these sorts of issues.
Could you look at doing something similar to the upcoming changes to the exesms/web sms service (ie the sending number you use has to be verified before you can use it)? Or, as tin has suggested give the option for the VOIP number for HSPA accounts to be masked by the HSPA mobile number?

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Tue Nov 10, 2009 2:31 pm

BraM wrote:Some of the previous posts have stated that this feature still works for them regardless of the option being removed from the member page. Why is this not the case for me? I did not disable the feature myself.
Is your mobile number an Exetel number? My VoIP service is still masked with my Exetel HSPA service.

I hope Exetel re-introduces this for their ADSL/ADSL2/HSPA and mobile customers as these numbers are associated with their accounts and are in effect already verified so can not really be abused.

I am actually waiting for this so I can set up VoIP at home with an ATA using my home phone number that my Exetel ADSL is connected to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

davewantsmoore

Post by davewantsmoore » Wed Nov 11, 2009 12:31 pm

Oh no. Seriously?! Will this feature ever return? (masking VoIP number with mobile number).

I was about to setup a mobile service with Exetel for use with VoIP .... but this feature is essential :-(