Tethering (iPhone OS 3.0)

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
mranderson808

Tethering (iPhone OS 3.0)

Post by mranderson808 » Thu Jun 18, 2009 2:56 pm

Just updated my iPhone (connected to Exetel HSPA) to OS 3.0 & attempted to set up tethering. I got a message to contact Optus to set up tethering (I am aware that Exetel use Optus infrastructure for HSPA).

My question is; am I able to use tethering through Exetel, & if so, do I set it up through Exetel or Optus? Also, is the data charged as per normal (1.5/2.5 cents/mb)?

Thanks for any assistance provided,
Clinton

cubic

Re: Tethering (iPhone OS 3.0)

Post by cubic » Thu Jun 18, 2009 5:21 pm

If you're getting a message from Optus I'd guess you're connecting using their APN. Provided you have access to change the APN, just use "exetel1" and it'll work. All data is charged at the same rate.
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Thu Jun 18, 2009 7:20 pm

mranderson808 wrote:Just updated my iPhone (connected to Exetel HSPA) to OS 3.0 & attempted to set up tethering. I got a message to contact Optus to set up tethering (I am aware that Exetel use Optus infrastructure for HSPA).

My question is; am I able to use tethering through Exetel, & if so, do I set it up through Exetel or Optus? Also, is the data charged as per normal (1.5/2.5 cents/mb)?

Thanks for any assistance provided,
Clinton
I had the same issue, you can use this site to set the tethering APN to exetel1 and you're good to go http://tetherme.lstoll.net/

it may have also reset the internet APN when it did the carrier upgrade, you can go here to set the carrier APN for internet on the phone to exetel1 also http://www.unlockit.co.nz/unlockit/

ColbyIT

Post by ColbyIT » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:51 pm

I am happy to have tethering going using the Exetel HSPA broadband plan on the iPhone. Working on both Mac and PC...fantastic!

I have included the configuration file download that is required here:
http://home.exetel.com.au/colbyit/exetel.mobileconfig

Use the iPhone browser and navigate to this link using a WiFi connection. Install the configuration profile and you are set to go. Don't forget to enable Tethering on the iPhone.

Note: After v3 install on the iPhone, you need to apply the profile again even if you had a previous profile installed.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 12:55 pm

ColbyIT wrote:I am happy to have tethering going using the Exetel HSPA broadband plan on the iPhone. Working on both Mac and PC...fantastic!

I have included the configuration file download that is required here:
http://home.exetel.com.au/colbyit/exetel.mobileconfig

Use the iPhone browser and navigate to this link using a WiFi connection. Install the configuration profile and you are set to go. Don't forget to enable Tethering on the iPhone.

Note: After v3 install on the iPhone, you need to apply the profile again even if you had a previous profile installed.
thanks for that, have you tried MMS, not working on mine but not sure why

ColbyIT

Post by ColbyIT » Sat Jun 20, 2009 3:47 pm

jokiin wrote:have you tried MMS
No, haven't tried. I am not so interested in MMS...email is better :D

Do you get an error description??? I suppose MMS is off topic for this thread.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:14 pm

ColbyIT wrote:
jokiin wrote:have you tried MMS
No, haven't tried. I am not so interested in MMS...email is better :D

Do you get an error description??? I suppose MMS is off topic for this thread.
I'm not that interested in MMS but can see that some people might be so worth finding out why it doesn't work

mranderson808

Post by mranderson808 » Sat Jun 20, 2009 5:57 pm

Thanks everyone for all your help.

When originally setting up phone for use with Exetel HSPA I used unlockit.co.nz to change the APN, but I still got a 'contact Optus' message when I attempted tethering.

Have just used unlockit.co.nz to reinstall Exetel APN & enabled tethering & MMS.

Again, thanks for the help.

resonatorman

Post by resonatorman » Fri Jul 03, 2009 5:19 pm

I have an iPhone 3GS that I bought outright/unlocked, I just got my HSPA WM A sim enabled today. I have changed the APN via the NZ site. Just wondering if anyone has the MMS feature working? I know email is better but I do use MMS with a few people. I do have MMS turned on on the phone. Any ideas anyone?

Thanks

cubic

Post by cubic » Fri Jul 03, 2009 6:00 pm

Last I saw was no MMS service yet on the Optus-based plans: http://forum.exetel.com.au/viewtopic.php?f=308&t=30919
...the term 'Future Perfect' has been abandoned since it was discovered not to be - Douglas Adams

mycle

Post by mycle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 11:49 am

I just got my WM A sim activated and it allows me to tether but won't allow me to access the internet. When I try to check mail I get a message "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service". Anyone got any ideas? I don't have a wifi connection here so I can't try the unlock site until I get home.

(edit: will post the error as a separate thread as it's not really related to this one. sorry)

Thanks
Mycle.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:43 pm

mycle wrote:I just got my WM A sim activated and it allows me to tether but won't allow me to access the internet. When I try to check mail I get a message "Could not activate cellular data network: You are not subscribed to a cellular data service". Anyone got any ideas? I don't have a wifi connection here so I can't try the unlock site until I get home.

(edit: will post the error as a separate thread as it's not really related to this one. sorry)

Thanks
Mycle.
the default settings on an iPhone with an Optus SIM will have yesinternet as the APN, the APN for the phone and tethering both need to be set to exetel1 which you can do by visiting here http://home.exetel.com.au/colbyit/exetel.mobileconfig and installing the profile, if you are near a McDonalds you can use their free Wi-Fi to get net access and browse to the link

mycle

Post by mycle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 12:45 pm

Thanks. Guess I'm going up to the mall for lunch.

mycle

Post by mycle » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:55 pm

FYI - the maccas proxy screwed the file up so it came through as plain text and safari just displayed it as text. I found an Optus shop that had wireless though and it worked perfectly.

Thanks
Mycle.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Wed Jul 08, 2009 1:56 pm

mycle wrote:FYI - the maccas proxy screwed the file up so it came through as plain text and safari just displayed it as text. I found an Optus shop that had wireless though and it worked perfectly.

Thanks
Mycle.
ok good to know you got is sorted