ADSL2+ with 3G Backup

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
HSV Z Clubbie

ADSL2+ with 3G Backup

Post by HSV Z Clubbie » Tue Jun 23, 2009 7:32 pm

1st post in here but an Exetel user for years.

I currently have ADSL2+ which I have had for about 5 years, during that time it seems to hold in there fairly good but when it goes down its always at the most inconvienient time. The last occasion it went down for 4 days, the time before that was Xmas day.

I have decided due to the $5 plan is to start a failover type situation (manual at this stage).

2 Questions, does anyone else do this and the second how strict is Exetel on their 60 day no use rule since it does say it "may" cancel the card if not used. Especially since will be a backup service. 8)

Why did I do this.....last time the adsl went down my wife had exams for Uni and she spewed at me :roll:

terrox

Re: ADSL2+ with 3G Backup

Post by terrox » Tue Jun 23, 2009 11:48 pm

Set a calendar alert to use it once a month for a few minutes.
Apart from that, should be easy. No need to setup auto-detect and failover, that would just waste CPU on something which may never be needed and you can easily plug it in and it will work if the software is already installed.

HSV Z Clubbie

Post by HSV Z Clubbie » Wed Jun 24, 2009 5:46 am

Thanks for that sounds easy, gonna set it up on a 3G9WB unlocked modem so it will be as simple as a gateway change to use it. :mrgreen:

CoreyPlover
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by CoreyPlover » Wed Jun 24, 2009 11:18 pm

HSV Z Clubbie wrote:2 Questions, does anyone else do this and the second how strict is Exetel on their 60 day no use rule since it does say it "may" cancel the card if not used. Especially since will be a backup service. 8)
Answer to the first: Yes. I suspect lots of people do this (I am one of them, I think it works out wonderfully)
Answer to the second: Dunno. I have not seen any posts on the matter and I don't know of anyone who has tried leaving their modem inactive to see what eventuates.

What I might suggest is that you use the Suggestion Box in your member facilities to ask that Exetel remove this 60 day rule, or at least implement an email notification saying something like "your Exetel HSPA service is due to expired due to inactivity. Click here to reactivated for another 2 months". I think a lot of people would benefit from this and Exetel is extremely open to useful suggestions like this