Which router to use with E169

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Munka

Which router to use with E169

Post by Munka » Sun Jul 05, 2009 2:59 pm

Hi, I am getting a bit weary with ICS and other piggy back methods of sharing the HSPA connection.
Time to buy a router, and looking for advice, after a fairly simple set up that does not need to have voip onboard, as I am running a cisco sip phone and plan to set up a asterisk server soon anyway.
Also have numerous switches etc laying around so LAN ports are not too crucial, as long as there is at least one :D
Dual WAN is also not important as I would be using a cisco router if I had DSL services available to me here.

So 2 wired machines +1 sip phone and 2 wireless is all I need to connect
I think at this stage I am looking to avoid making any "terrible mistakes" as far as choosing goes.
So if you have purchased a 3G capable router and continue to have a good experience with your chosen router please let me know.
These are the units I am looking at currently-
Netcomm N3G001W http://www.netcomm.com.au/products/3g/n3g001w
Dlink DIR-451 http://www.dlink.com.au/Products.aspx?S ... 84&PID=341
Netgear MBR624GU http://www.netgear.com/Products/Routers ... 624GU.aspx
Munka

sable

Re: Which router to use with E169

Post by sable » Sun Jul 05, 2009 4:22 pm

Munka

I have installed and used the Billion 7404VGPX which has 2 voip ata ports amongst other features successfully, good unit, the cheaper 7401VGP R3 has only 1 ata port.

http://au.billion.com/product/voip.php

Munka

Post by Munka » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:08 pm

sable wrote:Munka

I have installed and used the Billion 7404VGPX which has 2 voip ata ports amongst other features successfully, good unit, the cheaper 7401VGP R3 has only 1 ata port.

http://au.billion.com/product/voip.php
Thanks for that sable, I will have a look at billion.
Though I think I can keep it simple, I don't need FXS ports as the cisco phone only requires a ethernet port.

Edit: looks like the 7401VGP R3 is not 3g capable?
Munka

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:35 pm

Sorry, my mistake, assumed it was the little brother to 7404VGPX

If you don't need FXO/FXS ports then 7300GX would suit

Munka

Post by Munka » Sun Jul 05, 2009 5:58 pm

sable wrote:Sorry, my mistake, assumed it was the little brother to 7404VGPX

If you don't need FXO/FXS ports then 7300GX would suit
Nice, it looks good, I will have a look at prices on staticice etc., thanks.
Munka

sable

Post by sable » Sun Jul 05, 2009 6:15 pm

Nexus currently have the unit priced at $179 which is way below cost price, not sure what the story is!

MarcusAureliusMaxima

Post by MarcusAureliusMaxima » Sun Jul 05, 2009 7:57 pm

I have recently purchased the Netcomm n3g005w, price $145. After owning a NB9WMAXX where adsl/router + voip are integrated, i decided to try to seperate the two functions as a risk mitigation move (since 3G + voip is so far risky territory).

I am not sure why you would go the 001W over the 005W? I think there is $5 difference.

Anyway, so far performance has been excellent. No noticable signal strength difference between router vs PC. I have read that wireless LAN signal is sometimes average, I have experienced a few "weired" moments, but havent been regular enough top identify problem. I am going to use a seperate exisiting router to manage wireless network anyway, so not too fussed.

Will also be adding a Yagi to the E169 shortly.

I looked at the Billion, but other than VOIP, I couldnt find enough praise or features to justify the additional cost. I would recommend the Netcomm.

paddles

Post by paddles » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:42 am

I'm using the Netgear MBR624GU with an E169. It was quite easy to set up and has been working well generally. Occasionally it seems to lose the connection to the USB modem, but removing and reinserting the modem into the modem holder (basically a fancy USB extension cable with stand so the modem stands vertically) fixes it. WPA2-PSK security worked first go with all the connecting computers.

Prior to this, I tried a Netcomm N3G002W router (note: with a 3 broadband MF627, not the E169!). First unit received it took several hours of trying and time spent with Netcomm support to get it to connect at all, but the speed was slower than dialup and I couldn't get any wireless security going. Replacement unit eventually managed a connection but (even with lots of help from Netcomm support) it was still noticeably slower than when the modem was connected; also I could get a connection with WPA-PSK going but if it lost connection, the only way to get it back was to restart the computer - so I got fed up and returned the second unit for refund.

Note, I didn't have E169 and N3G002W at the same time so couldn't comment on that actual combination.

Regards

Tim

Munka

Post by Munka » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:49 am

paddles wrote:I'm using the Netgear MBR624GU with an E169. It was quite easy to set up and has been working well generally. Occasionally it seems to lose the connection to the USB modem, but removing and reinserting the modem into the modem holder (basically a fancy USB extension cable with stand so the modem stands vertically) fixes it. WPA2-PSK security worked first go with all the connecting computers.

Prior to this, I tried a Netcomm N3G002W router (note: with a 3 broadband MF627, not the E169!). First unit received it took several hours of trying and time spent with Netcomm support to get it to connect at all, but the speed was slower than dialup and I couldn't get any wireless security going. Replacement unit eventually managed a connection but (even with lots of help from Netcomm support) it was still noticeably slower than when the modem was connected; also I could get a connection with WPA-PSK going but if it lost connection, the only way to get it back was to restart the computer - so I got fed up and returned the second unit for refund.

Note, I didn't have E169 and N3G002W at the same time so couldn't comment on that actual combination.

Regards

Tim
Thanks Tim, actually leaning towards this netgear unit, I am at this location for the next several months (97% signal and blistering data speed), so just after a temporary (and cheap) network fix, looking at a new unit on ebay auction soon to end, but I was wavering because I had never seen any feedback on the actual hardware, so your post came at a good time :D

EDIT: mission accomplished, I purchased the netgear unit and will add feedback here on how it performs.
Last edited by Munka on Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Munka

Log Cabin

Post by Log Cabin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:46 pm

Hello,
I'm using a N3G002W with the E169 and the LAN plugged into a 8 port switch running 4 PC's one is on 24/7 uploading weather data.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Jul 06, 2009 4:53 pm

Log Cabin wrote:Hello,
I'm using a N3G002W with the E169 and the LAN plugged into a 8 port switch running 4 PC's one is on 24/7 uploading weather data.
I use the N3G002W also and it works very well for me