Optus Coverage

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
D0R0THY

Optus Coverage

Post by D0R0THY » Fri Jul 10, 2009 2:03 pm

I ordered a HSPA mobile service for travelling on holidays (within Australia) and using the service on my Laptop with my HTC TytnII PDA as a modem. Before I ordered the service, I checked for Optus coverage in the area I was holidaying (Pambula Beach NSW-where I am now) and Optus told/tells me I had/have coverage. I tested the SIM Card on my mobile before I left Melbourne (outer eastern suburbs) and everything worked terrific. However, upon arrival of my destination, I cannot get an Optus signal at all??? Mobile tells me NO SERVICE! Even in the centre of Merrimbula, get NO SERVICE. I cannot believe this in such a significant holiday destination, Too late now, had to sign up at holiday destination for inhouse wireless service which cost significant money.

My regular mobile service is with 3. Once I put the 3 sim card back in no problems I have a service again. So I am led to think that maybe the sim is faulty?
Can anybody offer any suggestions, or do I just need to wait until I return home to see if it picks up optus at home again?

Disapointed and frustrated!

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Re: Optus Coverage

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:06 pm

I have no personal experience with 3g on the far south coast, but the map at http://www.exetel.com.au/files/hspa_maps.pdf doesn't give much cause for optimism. Rural NSW doesn't rate highly with telcos. That area is rather hilly as well, so there might be an antenna problem.

PS I notice on the ACMA site that there is an Optus transmitter at the Merimbula waste depot.

Berty

Post by Berty » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:15 pm

D0R0THY wrote: my Laptop with my HTC TytnII PDA as a modem. Before I ordered the service, I checked for Optus coverage in the area I was holidaying (Pambula Beach NSW-where I am now) and Optus told/tells me I had/have coverage. I tested the SIM Card on my mobile before I left Melbourne (outer eastern suburbs) and everything worked terrific.
My guess is your phone is only capable of connecting at 2100 band and not 900? Most of Optus' coverage is 900 so unless you get a dual band modem/phone, you won't get a good coverage especially in rural areas.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 10, 2009 3:24 pm

Thst thing is a flash multi-band device.

Munka

Post by Munka » Fri Jul 10, 2009 4:47 pm

Dazzled wrote:Thst thing is a flash multi-band device.
Though only 850/1900/2100 HSPDA according to gsmarena http://www.gsmarena.com/htc_tytn_ii-2024.php
Munka

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:02 pm

Munka, if that site is right, there is Dorothy's answer. She has the wrong phone.

D0R0THY

Post by D0R0THY » Fri Jul 10, 2009 5:31 pm

Dazzled wrote:Munka, if that site is right, there is Dorothy's answer.
My phone is GSM 900 capable on that site also, don't know where dazzled thought not. Will probably need to wait until I return home to see if it truly is a sim card fault. Just disapointed. Thanks for your replies.
Cheers

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Fri Jul 10, 2009 7:14 pm

3G 900MHz can go just a bit further than 2G 900MHz. I've just spent a week in a country location that I've never been able to get reliable GSM coverage with optus, but now that 3G 900MHz has been turned on there I can just get a signal. I was able to get excellent exetel service even though there were no bars showing. I had to place the modem/router on the window sill but it did work.

My optus 3G phone also worked if it was placed in the window, but our GSM phones didn't get enough signal to be reliable.

vk3xem

Post by vk3xem » Fri Jul 10, 2009 8:28 pm

zaxapod wrote:My optus 3G phone also worked if it was placed in the window, but our GSM phones didn't get enough signal to be reliable.
The difference is your phone only works on GSM (2G) at 900 MHz. Newer coverage areas for Optus are only 3G and HSPA on 900 MHz. So it's not a matter of the signal going further, it is a case of the phone not seeing a GSM network on 900 MHz and does not recognise 3G as a network there.

I recently planned a change to HSPA using a phone for VoIP and a modem as well. The only phone that suited my requirements with a native SIP client and 900 MHz HSPA for regional Optus coverage was the Nokia E66.
The views I present are that of my own and NOT of any organisation I may belong to.

73 de Simon, VK3XEM

D0R0THY

Post by D0R0THY » Sat Jul 11, 2009 1:40 pm

vk3xem wrote:The difference is your phone only works on GSM (2G) at 900 MHz. Newer coverage areas for Optus are only 3G and HSPA on 900 MHz.
Well there's the explanation then, I perhaps should have purchased the modem exetel was selling as well, but knew my pda could act as a modem. I thought I would be able to pick up the signal without the extra expense. I had only purchased the mobile HSPA plan for my holiday downloading, but thought I might keep the plan going until my contract with 3 ran out. Looks now that I would be unable to use the phone with the optus sim anyway...(except with 3g 2100)

zaxapod

Post by zaxapod » Sat Jul 11, 2009 2:22 pm

Maybe get a used modem on ebay. I bought my E169 for less than $80.