yagi antennas

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
Baldrick

Re: yagi antennas

Post by Baldrick » Sat Sep 05, 2009 6:27 pm

Just thought I would drop a small note about the Yagi antenna which I have just purchased from Exetel to go with my e169 modem. I have just set this antenna up at our small farm located not far from Tamworth in northern NSW.
My nearest geographical estimate would be that I am at a minimum of around 12Km from the nearest Optus tower.
My results are as follows:
before: Service = none at all
after: Service signal strength at around between 55 to 80% ( 4 to 5 bars )
Results:

Code: Select all

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 05/09/2009 @ 06:13 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 5.33 secs

Your line speed is 917 kbps (0.92 Mbps).
Your download speed is 115 KB/s (0.11 MB/s).
So at the end of the day after simply bolting this antenna to our existing TV mast in around 10 minutes, this means I am now able to dump my Telstra wireless broadband modem which is something I am extremely happy about.. :mrgreen:

Lawrie

Post by Lawrie » Mon Sep 14, 2009 11:58 am

Hello - would Exetel be interested in sourcing, selling etc. a 2100 Mhz Yagi antenna for people who live on the fringes of metro areas and cant get good signals?
My example is the rural farm areas west of Kiama on the NSW South Coast. From what I understand the Optus towers are only 2100 Mhz in Kiama which is just south of Wollongong.

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Mon Sep 14, 2009 12:29 pm

There are on-line dealers - here are two - http://www.citytechnology.com.au/microb ... da2f024838 and http://www.rfshop.com.au/Default.aspx?t ... 3=&Level=3

You could also consider http://www.rfshop.com.au/Blogs/tabid/64 ... fault.aspx and with the panel antennae in waterproof boxes, you could also place a router in the casing. Otherwise you have to keep the cable run short.

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:32 pm

Baldrick wrote:Just thought I would drop a small note about the Yagi antenna which I have just purchased from Exetel to go with my e169 modem. I have just set this antenna up at our small farm located not far from Tamworth in northern NSW.
My nearest geographical estimate would be that I am at a minimum of around 12Km from the nearest Optus tower.
My results are as follows:
before: Service = none at all
after: Service signal strength at around between 55 to 80% ( 4 to 5 bars )
Results:

Code: Select all

Broadband Speed Test Results

Test run on 05/09/2009 @ 06:13 PM

Mirror: Exetel
Data: 600 KB
Test Time: 5.33 secs

Your line speed is 917 kbps (0.92 Mbps).
Your download speed is 115 KB/s (0.11 MB/s).
So at the end of the day after simply bolting this antenna to our existing TV mast in around 10 minutes, this means I am now able to dump my Telstra wireless broadband modem which is something I am extremely happy about.. :mrgreen:
That's a good result, do you have a photo of it bolted to your TV antenna, some people may not think that it can be done this easily and quickly and a photo would help to show how easy it was for you

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 14, 2009 2:34 pm

Lawrie wrote:Hello - would Exetel be interested in sourcing, selling etc. a 2100 Mhz Yagi antenna for people who live on the fringes of metro areas and cant get good signals?
My example is the rural farm areas west of Kiama on the NSW South Coast. From what I understand the Optus towers are only 2100 Mhz in Kiama which is just south of Wollongong.
I think part of the challenge is that there are less customers that could utilize a YAGI in a 2100Mhz area so it would be harder to do the numbers required to justify getting them in unfortunately

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Wed Sep 16, 2009 3:39 pm

So at the end of the day after simply bolting this antenna to our existing TV mast in around 10 minutes,
I actually tried going the other way , i.e. putting my tv antenna below the yagi on the taller pole I put up for the W.B. antenna but when I did that my wireless signal degraded to almost zero .

Moving the yagi on its own 3 metres along the patio also degraded the signal , so it's back where it was , on its own .

Moral of the story is that anyone trying one method/ position/ height should not give up easily , results will vary widely around the country .

bowjjj

Post by bowjjj » Thu Sep 17, 2009 2:14 am

pundi wrote:Mixed results so far with the exetel yagi antenna. My parents have a holiday house in an optus 900Mhz fringe area (no gsm coverage without an antenna at the house - but somewhat usable 3km down the road) - and I signed them up on a 5Gb account. Had intended to use a woktenna to improve the signal (see blog here: http://pundi.blogs.exetel.com.au). With the woktenna and yagi setup side by side at ground level both where showing a 3/10 bars signal when aligned to their best position. However the yagi was only maintaining a 5KB/sec link vs. the woktennas 160KB/sec (ozspeedtest.com). I tried different polarizations but no luck. The end result is that I've installed the woktenna on the roof of the house and am now getting a stable 300KB/sec connection in an area that has no/poor optus reception - very happy. I'm going to have to spend some more time stuffing around with the yagi before I can provide anything more positive about it.
Gday all, I've been following some of the 3g /yagi antenna threads in various forums. I've also looked at the Woktenna/cantenna ideas and one thing that did bother me was having the modem on the roof in a "cooking device" ( wok or can )... From what I've seen and also from having quite a bit to do with uhf and tv antennas in the past, one of these-
http://rfshop.com.au/Products/Hardware/ ... fault.aspx
like they've used here-
http://www.rfshop.com.au/ContactUs/Blog ... fault.aspx
in a woktenna ( or one of those free dishes left over from satellite or pay TV install that's sitting on the roof :) ) should work quite well and handle the Aussie summer temps. Then you just need to run a cable and adapter to your modem inside the house. For the likes of a holiday home it would be easy to take the modem and router home with you and just leave the elcheapo 3g woktenna and lead there .
Just a few stray thoughts anyway, though I do plan to try some of these ideas when I get to it , or when various friends on farms with satellite internet come round to the idea...
Now that you can get a 3g router for just over $100 ( netgear MBR624GU-3G ) and the netcomm N3g005w for not much more, the set up costs for "in house wireless net " are very reasonable.
See ya Jim

Log Cabin

Post by Log Cabin » Thu Sep 17, 2009 3:08 pm

Hello,

I just came back from helping a neighbour put up the Exetel Yagi.
He has just joined Exetel at my recommendation and has Bigpond 3G and Active8 Satellite.
After the Yagi went up the speed was terrific ..I think about 2.5 Mbps Ive just done mine with the E169 inside without an antenna and its 1.09Mbps.
I think I will be getting the Yagi.
We both live at 600 AMSL and the tower according to my oziexplorer map is about 24Km from our residence.

Cheers

brumer

Post by brumer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 6:35 pm

I'm wondering if those who have already installed some of these Yagi's can please elaborate a weeny bit in regards to the installation of the yagi itself rather than just the pole?
I doubt I'm the only one wondering about the "up or down" of these things.
I realise that it most probably doesn't matter a whole lot but .............
Obviously the two "shields" or "reflectors" can only go one way because of the holes & dimples.
That leaves "up or down". One way seems to be "upsidedown" because the elements are underneath the main beam.
Turning it up the other way creates an ideal place for the water to be caught in the plastic connector & in my seaside area that is NOT an ideal thing.
To be quite frank I suspect these will last around 3 to 4 years in our area.
Similarly constructed TV antennas only last that long.
I'm investigating enclosing the complete antenna in a plastic container to see how much gain is lost.

Comments welcome. Which way did you put yours? (or theirs?)

Dazzled
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by Dazzled » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:10 pm

Polarization is supposed to be vertical. Some non-Exetel antenna brands have covers over them, like this http://www.rfshop.com.au/Blogs/tabid/64 ... fault.aspx Another common solution that is out of the weather is a panel antenna, like one shown here http://www.rfshop.com.au/Blogs/tabid/64 ... fault.aspx. The covered panels or associated boxes have the advantage that the modem can be fitted to a 3g router inside the enclosure, which gets rid of the cable length problem. This principle is shown at http://www.rfshop.com.au/ContactUs/Blog ... fault.aspx I am not pushing that vendor, but he has a well-illustrated site to get ideas from. Another web site with lots of ideas is this one from South Africa, if you click through to the product descriptions - http://www.poyntingdirect.co.za/categor ... egoryID=22

brumer

Post by brumer » Fri Sep 18, 2009 7:33 pm

Thankyou for your reply Dazzled.
My point was that polarization can be vertical by 2 dif positions. one way & then 180degree turning.
In otherwords up & down or down & up. (sic) lol.

Conduit

Post by Conduit » Sun Sep 20, 2009 7:32 pm

I've recently added a signal direction finder and magnipier to my Yagi , how it works is when the main arm of the Yagi antenna is aligned with the Broadband Enabled Activity Key ( henceforth known by the acronym of "b.e.a.k." , the direction of signal reception is optimal.

Here's how it looks -

bowjjj

Post by bowjjj » Sun Sep 20, 2009 10:16 pm

Conduit wrote:I've recently added a signal direction finder and magnipier to my Yagi , how it works is when the main arm of the Yagi antenna is aligned with the Broadband Enabled Activity Key ( henceforth known by the acronym of "b.e.a.k." , the direction of signal reception is optimal.

Here's how it looks -
------------------------------------------------------
Hmmmm

No loss of reception while the "Broadband Enabled Activity Key" is "active" ? ...
Does make you wonder what the consistency is like while using voip over 3g in marginal areas though, with all these sorts of
things to steal a few packets of data here and there...

auntyjack

Post by auntyjack » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:03 pm

hi folks
i've just installed our new 3g (e1762 modem) with the yagi and am very happy with results so far. we are about 50k from the tower but can see it clearly, and am getting up to 2.6mbps down. having full-on weather down here right now and getting occasional drops to only 4 bars!
i'm currently using an old laptop running windows ICS to put it on our lan but will be getting a n3g005w when the mailman comes. i will be installing it up the pole in a weatherproof box and thus will be shortening the antenna cable.
i need to know what cable type so i can get the right fme connector. neither me nor google recognizes the numbers. can anyone confirm that it's a 400 series (ie CLF400‚ LMR400, RG 213 etc. ) cable ?
thanks,
aunty

jokiin
Volunteer Site Admin

Post by jokiin » Mon Sep 21, 2009 9:19 pm

are you wanting to shorten the cable to minimize loss or was there some other reason?

Pulling a signal that strong 50km's from the tower is pretty impressive, got to be happy with that