Performance has become woeful

Wireless broadband over 3G/4G
doggy

Re: Performance has become woeful

Post by doggy » Mon Sep 28, 2009 9:50 pm

At 2130 tonight, VOIP now okay again on both phones. Download speed back to around 300kbps. Upload slower- a little above dialup speed but functional. Pings largely okay with packet loss back down (6%) and only a few several-second pings.

So, same story as last week.

Dave

petemoss

Post by petemoss » Mon Sep 28, 2009 11:38 pm

Exetremely slow here today also, for some reason. :(

Pete

doggy

Post by doggy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 5:00 pm

Well, at Avalon (Sydney) packet loss at 1700 has climbed to between 30 and 45% so VOIP is again useless, email is difficult and web browsing is lousy.

The evening (here) is a particularly bad time.

Martin of Exetel is raising it with Optus tomorrow so maybe there will be some news.

In the mean time, I've been trialling a "different" offering (also on the Optus backbone) which uses a free cellular call from the handset to a VOIP gateway. Of course, then the issue is simplicity of dialling but a fair bit of work is going into that....

But, I really hope Optus can get its act together instead.

Regards,
Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Tue Sep 29, 2009 9:59 pm

Final readings of the night.

Really lousy from 1700 until about 2130 with the worst time (as usual) around 1800 where I had packet loss of 50% on one phone and 45% on the other. Now, at 2200, packet loss has dropped to approximately 4% and I expect continuing improvement as per every other night so far.

VOIP has now become possible again and I expect it will further improve.

Naturally, speed has picked up significantly from the 30kbps of earlier in the night.

Good night,
Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Wed Sep 30, 2009 6:51 am

0600 to 0640- summary excellent.

Upload and download speeds 270kbps (with mixed files 600K to 3M).

Packet loss zero.

Ping times 200 to 380msecs with typically 1% or less significantly over the mean.

Two phones/two SIMs/both Avalon/Good signal/Palm Beach cell.

The sign of an uncongested Optus network. During the day, I will test Mona Vale again and also venture to Gordon to see what it's like there.

Dave

doggy

Summary performance over two weeks

Post by doggy » Thu Oct 01, 2009 6:50 pm

Right now in Avalon (NSW) download speed was down to 53kbps (but it does go higher in spurts of up to 20 secs or so). VOIP is again useless. Have not bothered testing upload.

Time is 1800 to 1830- the worst time every day (except weekends).

Yes Mr Optus, this result is both inside my house and out in the street (Optus will not log a fault unless the problem is "in the street").

Yes, very high signal levels.

During the day has been better than other days, with VOIP usable much of the day.

I have now got an activated SIM from another provider who also uses Optus, including the Optus Access Points (Exetel uses exetel1).

The performance is just as bad. I have also tested with two other VOIP providers- just as poor- unusable. Tested downloads and uploads with Exetel for the Exetel SIM and OptusNet for the other SIM.

So, the problem is definitely not Exetel (which is what we believed) and definitely looks to be Optus.

In the past couple of weeks, the overall result (during business hours of the day+ ie 10am to 10pm) has been as per the following summary. The intermediate week was the worst, where speeds sometimes got down to TEN BYTES per second with huge packet losses:

Thursday- bad
Friday- bad
Saturday- Good
Sunday- Good
Monday- very, very bad
Tuesday- very, very bad
Wednesday- very, very bad
Thursday- very, very bad
Friday- usable some of the day
Saturday- Good
Sunday- Good
Monday- very, very bad
Tuesday- very, very bad
Wednesday- usable some of the day. During one hour I was in Gordon (Syd), performance was good.
Thursday (today)- Good most of the day until approximately 1730. Improved again around 1845.

Time is now 1845 and things have improved with VOIP usable and speeds (downwards) ranging from 95kbps to 180kbps. So, tonight's peak has been much shorter (so far) than other days, which perhaps fits with less problems during the day.

Seems like network congestion to me!

Overall, these results indicate to me that trying to use VOIP in my area, on a long term basis, is not viable due to congestion.

This is a pity because Exetel has a great system, with good pricing, good service, exccellent features and is let down (at least in my area) by the underlying network. Exetel staff have been interested in the problem and brought it up with Optus but despite some overall improvement this week, it is not fixed.

Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:12 pm

VOIP has been fine in both Avalon and Mona Vale during today (as with last Friday).

However, it has now been exceedingly bad for the past 30mins. Packet losses are sitting around 45%. VOIP has big gaps of up to a few seconds at a time in the RTP stream.

Yes, signal is strong/max inside and out.

Nope, cannot even download a 600K file from Exetel's server. The packet losses are too high. So TCP just grinds to a halt.

Am about to lock to GSM and see what that is doing (an Optus request).

Okay, locked in GSM gives packet loss of zero. Ping time is around 800msec (same as at uncongested times).

Download speed beats 3G coming in at 40kbps (versus uncongested times when it is around 53kbps).

Regards,
Dave

Martin V
Exetel Staff

Post by Martin V » Fri Oct 02, 2009 5:28 pm

Thanks for that Dave, I'll provide this information back to Optus.
Martin
eXeTeL Support

ozbrit

Post by ozbrit » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:50 pm

I had a similar problem with my Optus signal a couple of weeks ago and it lasted for nearly a week. Sometimes I'd log on and wasn't able to load a web page, the whole time my Netcomm 3G router would report a normal 3G/UMTS connection with the tower and the E169 modem displaying cyan. Despite this, none or very little data was being received or sent. But If I'd wait between 1 or 90 mins, normal data flow would resume. Sometimes, it would then switch back to a crawl but that might be after an hour or two of normal service. In other words the service from the tower was all over the place.

After 3 days of this, I lodged a fault ticket with Exetel. I received a reply a couple of days later and was advised to force the E169 into HSPA only mode and this after I'd mentioned in the fault report that the modem diode was displaying cyan.

Fortunately, after suffering 6 days of this service it returned to normal and has remained that way for the past 10 days. Touch wood, whatever was causing the problem at the Optus Tower has now been fixed.

However, I wasn't impressed by the Exetel techies response. I wondered whether he knew that a cyan diode was in fact indicating the modem had HSPA connectivity with the tower?

doggy

Post by doggy » Sat Oct 03, 2009 6:07 pm

Hi ozbrit,

yes, sounds very similar except that my problems are only during certain hours and during the business week. So perhaps yours was a fault and mine is congestion. What is rather surprising and common to both and other stories is that Optus do not seem to care much about customer perception and tend to keep quiet about problems and keep customers in the dark (like mushrooms). One sees such stories not only from their own customers, but V****n, P******l and other companies who rely upon them.

To give them their due, there are frontline and backline staff at Exetel. I'm certain they get heaps of people with finger troubles and self-inflicted problems and the front line people have to handle all that and I would not expect them to be experts. On the other hand, Exetel has some really smart people so a lot depends upon what the problem is, who is looking at it, what is their experience etc. One of the beauties of Exetel is their pricing and reasonable service without having a full blown, fantastic, all bells and whistles service which would cost heaps more and which many of us "traditional" Exetel customers would not want. I've been with the almost since they started (well over 5 years now) and have been happy despite the odd frustration. On top of that, the User Faciilities have really come a huge way since early 2004 and I find them excellent.

Unfortunately, Exetel are also at the mercy of some of the suppliers, some of whom seem to have little pride in their work. It isn't only Exetel who suffer this frustration- sometimes big-time.

As I want HSPA for mobile phone use firstly and web browsing secondly, I am seriously considering moving 4 accounts to someone else. This is nothing against Exetel and indeed the "someone else" also relies on Optus. However, they have a rather clever "1st link in the chain" to a land-based VOIP gateway so it gets rid of the Optus congestion from mobile VOIP calls. They are also more costly and do not have the excellent data "PAYG" approach. It would be fantastic if Exetel could do the same but I suspect it is not what they want to do (and fair enough too). In your case, there would be no point moving to anyone else because the alternative would still be Optus or very pricey T*****a or 3 with other problems. Anyway, I hope your problems never recur!

Thanks,
Dave

doggy

Post by doggy » Thu Oct 08, 2009 8:54 am

Martin,

The support call was logged to Optus and twice I have had the answer from Exetel support regarding Exetel HSPA:

"It is not suitable for in building data connection and it is confirmed with our supplier."

Twice I have sent to Exetel (the gentleman's initials are NJ) that these measurements are in the street at that address and I have given a further address where congestion has also been consistently measured. Indeed, I have made measurements in the street at FIVE different locations but have only supplied two street addresses to keep things simple.

This would make a good Fawlty Towers episode.

Optus has been quite successful at selling product directly and through other organisations such as Exetel. It seems clear from my measurements and other reports (eg on Whirlpool) that there IS congestion in locations around Australia and it seems impossible to get any response from Optus. The situation has definitely deteriorated since I first got Exetel HSPA.

Given that the 2G performance is okay even when 3G is dead in the water due to congestion, I will be moving 4 accounts to another provider who does the first VOIP hop over the cellular network. I have been trialling this for a week and it is good. I will just put up with the inability to sometimes use the Internet due to congestion as the primary purpose in purchasing Exetel HSPA was VOIP.

Everything else about Exetel's HSPA & VOIP plans is perfect for my friends and self but Optus's congestion problems make it unworkable unless one is prepared to only make VOIP calls when the network is uncongested.

I've put in the first port request yesterday.

best Regards,
Dave

goanna300

Post by goanna300 » Sun Oct 18, 2009 10:07 pm

Your story makes me green with envy.
In Alice Springs, I can only get reception while other users are either at work, at school or asleep!